turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 Gauge recommendations

Started by ClayR089, March 02, 2022, 02:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

I own a benelli m2 , a winchester sx3 and a retay. All 3 are great guns but the winchester is heavy. I hunt them all but I really like my retay turkey special. Its almost identical to my benelli with a much cheaper price tag. All 3 function flawlessly with heavy 3" turkey loads. I have some trouble with light loads in the benelli and also have to be a little more observant to prevent the famous benelli click.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

WV Flopper

If you get a M2 change the recoil spring before you take it out the house, Wolfe Spring. Otherwise, sooner or later it will give you the Benelli click.
When you do that, you no longer will be able to cycle low brass shells.

Cull_none

I've got a nwtf m2 that I won and the wife has a montefeltro that I bought her both are good guns.

ClayR089

Quote from: nativeks on March 03, 2022, 06:58:18 PM
Quote from: ClayR089 on March 03, 2022, 08:32:17 AM
To kind of change the conversation, I like the traditional look of a wood stock. But feel that a blued gun doesn't handle the beating of a dipped gun. Considering getting the gun cerakoted, or just caring for my blued guns better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a cerakote job on a 20. It had synthetic stocks and a Natgear camo job that was looking rough from the years of use. I found the stocks on ebay and had the guys at Charger Arms do the cerakote on the action, barrel, and end cap. I told them I wanted it to look like blueing. Waiting on my limbsaver pad to arrive and she will be complete.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
They Cerakote the bolt too? That looks really good.

ClayR089

Quote from: WV Flopper on March 03, 2022, 07:48:16 PM
If you get a M2 change the recoil spring before you take it out the house, Wolfe Spring. Otherwise, sooner or later it will give you the Benelli click.
This on all benellis?

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: ClayR089 on March 03, 2022, 10:54:16 PM
This on all benellis?

Yes. Pretty common. Comes from to bolt not being fully seated. Not a issue if you change the spring or pay attention. I crawled on a bird once and a small vine hooked the charging handle and took the bolt out of charge. Needless to say , when I squeezed the trigger , I got the dreaded click. I find myself constantly checking it throughout the hunt. Changed the spring and problem completely disappeared.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

ClayR089

Looking at these Wolff springs they have hammer and recoil springs. Then each of those they have extra power and reduced power. Which do you recommend?

WV Flopper

Heavy recoil.

I think it takes a 13mm socket to change out, pay attention to the shims placement. It an easy job.

Dtrkyman

Have multiple Benellis, no click ever, even waterfowl hunting in the marsh or frozen pit.  Stock springs.  Just an occasional check and never had an issue, you just need to be aware of the cause.

longbeards

I bought the Benelli M-2 compact, shooting tss handloads and it is deadly!

Mossberg90MN

I use a stoeger m3020 20 gauge. I like, good price too.

surehuntsalot

another vote for the Stoeger 3020
I love mine
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Turkeyfever

I bought a Retay MasaiMara recently and I really like it, the bolt system eliminates any possibility of a "click" and it cycled low , high whatever I put in it,the trigger assembly comes out in a matter of seconds for cleaning with a push button system.  I also have a Stoeger 3020 and they are good inertia driven guns also that have served me well. Very light!

Ranman

Benelli Montefeltro is a sweet gun, but love my Franchi Affinity 3. Started with an 870 and still use it from time to time.. all 20ga beast with TSS.

longbeards

2 years ago I bought a Benelli M2 Compact. Had it dipped in bottomland and added a fast fire 2 and IC .555 choke. Shoot TSS No 9, 1 7/16 SparrowHawk hand loads. Best turkey gun I have owned..