OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any reports on Hevi Magnum Blend out of the 20??

Started by Longshanks, June 07, 2011, 11:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

My beretta 390 Hevi choke  .573 is patterning hevi 6's really well (kinda surprised) so i was wondering if anyone out there is having any luck with patterning the magnum blends out of their 20 guage.

woody

I was thinking of trying some this summer.  I would like to hear any results also.

surehuntsalot

buddy of mine tried them in a Remington 1187 with a .560 Kick's
wasn't real happy....got 119 in the 10" at 40
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

goblr77

Quote from: surehuntsalot on June 07, 2011, 08:54:30 PM
buddy of mine tried them in a Remington 1187 with a .560 Kick's
wasn't real happy....got 119 in the 10" at 40

That's a good hunting pattern for a 20ga.

stick bow

Longshanks

Quote from: stick bow on June 23, 2011, 03:10:41 PM
119 would work for me at 40yds.
[/quote

Yup, I'm turning some high numbers with fed HW 7's but have a few boxes of hevi 6's and they will turn 115-125 @ 40. That is good enough for hunting for me and I like the pattern at 30yds as well. The fed HW 7's are in the 170's @ 40 but the pattern is super tight at 30 yds are less. Squeeze the trigger like a rifle..

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

gobble157

My pattern at thirty yards with undertaker choke and Weatherby SA-08
Life long obsessed turkey hunting from the great state of Georgia!

23 more states to go!!! US Slam bound!

gobble157

gobble157

What's the best choke for the heavyweight number 7?

TrkyHntr

I get great results with a hastings .562, using the heavyweight #7's. In my rem 870 compact, it will consistently shoot in the 170's in the 10" at 40yds.

Shane

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

Eric Gregg

What is the difference between Hevi Shot and Fed Heviweight?
I am kicking around using either of these two or the TSS load.

I am curious as to the difference between them. I have a Remington 870 with Rem TSF choke.

st8tman

Typically the Hevi Shot are slower in velocity than the Federal Heavyweights from what I have read, although both are "Heavier Than Lead" composite. In addition most of the Federal Heavyweight offerings come with the Flight Control Wad ( Federal's Website offers a comprehensive definition of these wads). The FCW loads are not recommended to be shot through a ported choke tube ie: any tube which has devices in place designed to strip the traditional wad from conventional shells, as this defeats the premise of these wads. There are many others on this board with more extensive knowledge than I, who will probably explain more in depth.

PS: As with any firearm/choke/load combo....all weapons seem to have their own individual preference, and only range time will unlock the mystery!

FullChoke

Quote from: TeocTom on December 26, 2011, 11:38:17 PM
What is the difference between Hevi Shot and Fed Heviweight?
I am kicking around using either of these two or the TSS load.

I am curious as to the difference between them. I have a Remington 870 with Rem TSF choke.

The Federal HeavyWeight shot are more dense than HeviShot. The HW shot is advertised as being 15 grams/cc, more uniform in size and more spherical in shape. The HS shot is 12-13 grams/cc, can vary greatly in size in the same shell and is much more irregular in shape.

You can use the Remington SuperFull (RSF) choke tube with any HTL load as long as it has "Hevi Shot, Steel or Lead Shot Only" printed on the outside. This also includes TSS loads. If it just says "Lead Shot Only", get another one to shoot HTL. Try here (http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/closeouts/19790).

Cheers

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Eric Gregg