OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

boot gaiter recommendation

Started by kythunter, February 26, 2022, 08:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kythunter

What boot gaiters are you guys using for spring turkey season? This will be my first year trying them. I normally wear LaCrosse Grange and they have treated me well but I want more ankle support and they can run hot in warm weather. Will be wearing either Danner Pronghorns or Crispi Lapplonia's. Figure gaiters will cover sock exposure and protect boots/pants from dew/rain.
Size 13 boot with 15" calves (skinny legs). Ordered a pair of Kenetreks XL and had to return them. The top circumference was 23" way too big. Was going to order a pair of Kuiu but pulled the trigger on a cheap pair off Amazon $25 (great reviews). Some of the knockoffs on Amazon look just like Kuiu or OR's. See how they work and then upgrade if needed. I've learned that manufacturers gaiter sizing are all over the place. You can't go by boot size necessarily. Any suggestions?

RiverBuck

I'm interested to see what you think of the knock off's.
At times I use the Kuiu gaiters on top of Crispi Thor's...  They seem bomb proof but I find myself hardly ever needing them and I don't think I've ever thought to myself, glad I had gaiters on.

roosterstraw

I'm an elk hunter and I have used outdoor research crocodiles the past couple years. Unfortunately they didn't hold up the way I thought they would. I ended up getting a few holes in them this year and their cs would not repair them, they instead sent me some tenacious tape. When I buy again I will be buying peak gaiters.

kythunter

I'm 6'3" and when I setup on a turkey my hunting pants tend to ride up high on me leg and expose leg/socks so that's one reason I've always worn LaCrosse Grange.
Gaiters should help that when switching to a hiking boot.

Dtrkyman

I use KUIU, no help with your size though.  I would call them and ask about sizing.

They are fantastic, actually tore one crossing a fence, tore in an L shape, simply put a piece of duct tape on the inside, been there for 4 years!

Work perfectly in longer grass in the morning dew, even help with quick water crossings and deep mud!

Ozarks Hillbilly

I've worn Kentrek for a few years now and they have served me well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

slicksbeagles1

Check out this company https://www.tandkhunting.com I have a pair that are made very well and look like they will withstand anything.  I haven't used them yet but they are made out of stuff that my rabbit hunting clothes are made of and going strong for 20 years  some of you my recognize the name WICKS sad to say they are out of business only due to them retiring.                                                                                 

lacire

I've done most of my bird hunting out of Lacrosse rubber boots. I have a pair of the Sitka thunderhead gaiters that they discontinued a couple seasons ago. I added a layer of tenacious tape in a couple of areas on each side where I could tell it was going to wear through, the bottom of my gaiters take a beating. They have a fleece face which is very quite (but can really attract the briers), the nicest feature is they zip up vs the Velcro like they're using now, I don't care for Velcro on any of my hunting gear since it seems to snag on every piece of clothing it comes into contact with. I would recommend these if you could find a pair in good shape.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Hwd silvestris

I use the scent blocker snake gaiters. They come in camo and has stirrups to keep in place.   I also spray with a waterproofing spray.   They work well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spiggy2

Had a pair of kenetreks that worked great. Bought a pair of King's Camo XKG gaiters and will use them going forward. Fit better than my Kenetreks.

"Believe me, you will find more lessons in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you what you cannot learn from masters." - St. Bernard of Clairvaux

WV Ridge Reaper

I believe this will be my 3rd year with the kentreks..Have been very happy with them.I wear mine from start to the end every year..I feel weird without em.

The amount of water they keep out is crazy..Also saves the bottom of a fellars pants

PALongspur

:newmascot:r
Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on February 26, 2022, 03:33:11 PM
I believe this will be my 3rd year with the kentreks..Have been very happy with them.I wear mine from start to the end every year..I feel weird without em.

The amount of water they keep out is crazy..Also saves the bottom of a fellars pants

:z-winnersmiley: :z-winnersmiley:

aclawrence

I have some OR expedition crocs that are great gaiters I wear on hiking trips. They're black. I usually wear Turtle Skins during snake season.

vt35mag

Kennetrek

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

HillclimberWV

Another vote for kenetrek. Have held up well the last couple years. Had a pair of outdoor research before that and they were great but very loud.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr