only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

This is why you don't show pins/imagery in videos

Started by deerhunt1988, February 24, 2022, 04:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sasquatch1

Quote from: catman529 on February 26, 2022, 12:24:15 AM
Quote from: btodd00 on February 25, 2022, 01:38:35 PM
I've never been to any of the spots that they post the onx screen shots of so I wouldn't know if the terrain matches but I wonder if they just pull up a random spot on on x and put their name and bird location on that instead of where they are actually hunting. Videos in years past used to have a asterisk at the bottom and they would say example map when they were trying to showcase a feature or situation they were hunting

Yes they do this. I can't speak for the specific map in question, as I have not looked into it. But I know for a fact they use example maps of other areas with similar terrain. This has been a known issue for some time, and I can promise nobody that I personally know in the YouTube world is deliberately trying to give away a spot.

I myself use example maps every time I show a map in a video. It might be from the other side of the county, or in another state, it might be public or private, doesn't matter. If ever show a map in a video, it's nowhere near where I'm actually hunting. A simple illustration with similar terrain features is all that is needed, it does not mean it's the actual location of the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Do y'all also drive way away to different locations to show a random forest gate?

You know, to trick people?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro ko

Paulmyr

Some here seem to think this is new phenomena, people losing spots because of something posted on the Internet. They come here to rally the troops. This argument has been had since before OG was a twinkle in shanon's eye, probably in every hunting forum known to man. Its not new, your not making anybody aware of anything they don't already know, except maybe how to internet search somebody's spot. Everybody is up in arms but nobody ever does anything. It's not new. It happens every year.

When I start seeing online petitions and advocacy groups I'll know somebody's serious. You tube don't control the money they control a platform where money is distributed and grab a pile for themselves while they are at it. YouTube cant just reach out grab money off trees it has to come from somewhere. That's where the pressure needs to be applied. If the money stops flowing or threatens to stop flowing to YouTube somebody might take notice and do something. Pressure needs to be applied there on a number of fronts.  They control the money . They'll have the most influence on the future of turkey hunting not YouTube, not guys making hunting vids.

As far as states getting named, and paying for influence.
Pretty sure your state/ district/ whoever representative isn't hanging around this message board. Take it up with them. They tend to listen when 100,000 people show up at their door and say " Hey! what the he'll is going on!." Showing up on this site picking fights with people and patting yourself on the back to spread awareness about something people have been aware of for over 20 years is.......well......I already stated my stance on that.

@Sasquatch1 They are boxer briefs and I was hunting the Pinhoti trail probably before Dave Owens was born and long before the Pinhoti project. Keep the kiddie games to yourself.......Kisatchie?

Because of the 1st few posts on this thread, I'll be signing off hoping this fades from the front page, you guys have at it. It's a free country. I said my peace
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: Paulmyr on February 26, 2022, 01:24:46 AM
Some here seem to think this is new phenomena, people losing spots because of something posted on the Internet. They come here to rally the troops. This argument has been had since before OG was a twinkle in shanon's eye, probably in every hunting forum known to man. Its not new, your not making anybody aware of anything they don't already know, except maybe how to internet search somebody's spot. Everybody is up in arms but nobody ever does anything. It's not new. It happens every year.

When I start seeing online petitions and advocacy groups I'll know somebody's serious. You tube don't control the money they control a platform where money is distributed and grab a pile for themselves while they are at it. YouTube cant just reach out grab money off trees it has to come from somewhere. That's where the pressure needs to be applied. If the money stops flowing or threatens to stop flowing to YouTube somebody might take notice and do something. Pressure needs to be applied there on a number of fronts.  They control the money . They'll have the most influence on the future of turkey hunting not YouTube, not guys making hunting vids.

Pretty sure your state/ district/ whoever representative isn't hanging around this message board. Take it up with them. They tend to listen when 100,000 people show up at their door and say " Hey! what the he'll is going on!." Showing up on this site picking fights with people and patting yourself on the back to spread awareness about something people have been aware of for over 20 years is.......well......I already stated my stance on that.

@Sasquatch1 They are boxer briefs and I was hunting the Pinhoti trail probably before Dave Owens was born and long before the Pinhoti project. Keep the kiddie games to yourself.......Kisatchie?

Because of the 1st few posts on this thread, I'll be signing off hoping this fades off the front page, you guys have at it. It's a free country. I said my peace

I don't recall anyone ever claiming this is a new issue, or that anyone wants a pat on the back.  Please provide an instance to support that.  How about provide something of substance rather than the usual deflection away from the actual issue of the discussion.  I apologize that we obviously stepped on your toes.   

So those that choose to share the information and profit at the expense of the resource should just get a free pass?  We shouldn't ask them to be more mindful of the content shared?  The infatuation runs deep.

So, actual substance (if you truly haven't peaced out).... Regardless of the platform or the source, do you support the sharing of content that adds pressure to localized turkey populations and plays a role in reducing opportunity?  Simple Yes or No will suffice. 

Paulmyr

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on February 26, 2022, 02:27:07 AM
Quote from: Paulmyr on February 26, 2022, 01:24:46 AM

Because of the 1st few posts on this thread, I'll be signing off hoping this fades off the front page, you guys have at it. It's a free country. I said my peace

I don't recall anyone ever claiming this is a new issue, or that anyone wants a pat on the back.  Please provide an instance to support that.  How about provide something of substance rather than the usual deflection away from the actual issue of the discussion.  I apologize that we obviously stepped on your toes.   

So those that choose to share the information and profit at the expense of the resource should just get a free pass?  We shouldn't ask them to be more mindful of the content shared?  The infatuation runs deep.

So, actual substance (if you truly haven't peaced out).... Regardless of the platform or the source, do you support the sharing of content that adds pressure to localized turkey populations and plays a role in reducing opportunity?  Simple Yes or No will suffice.

Nope, I don't support it. I'm just saying everybody has heard the story and to throw the small fish back and go after the big ones. It cant be to hard to get an online petition started. I'd try that and see where it goes. You might actually gets something accomplished if you work hard enough. Until something like that happens, I'm afraid it's "business" as usual in all matters involving the future of the wild turkey.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

sasquatch1

It appears to me that some learned to walk before crawl. Hell they may have even been born talking and running already.

And guys please whatever we do, let's not try and handle it amongst ourselves, let's run to our politicians for help with a petition. That should work, our politicians are known for solving problems

aaron

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on February 25, 2022, 08:13:50 PM
Quote from: aaron on February 25, 2022, 07:53:23 PM
If these types of things effect your ability to kill a turkey, that's YOUR problem.  Improvise, adapt and overcome.   I cannot get on board with this poor me attitude.  Stay in here whining, I'll be out finding birds

Care to elaborate on any references made to the lack of finding turkeys, killing turkeys, improvising, adapting, overcoming, walking farther, or working harder?  Not a poor me attitude or a "my" problem.  Much larger than that.

I feel I said it about as cut and dry as I could.  Care to elaborate on the "much bigger problem"?    Hunter numbers are drastically down.   Everywhere.   My state at its peak sold 90,000 Turk  we tags a year.   We sell 60,000 now.  Year In and year out.  That's the bigger problem.  Getting more people in our sport is the only way to ensure a lasting legacy.   

Hobbes

Quote from: aaron on February 26, 2022, 05:35:58 AM
If these types of things effect your ability to kill a turkey, that's YOUR problem.  Improvise, adapt and overcome.   I cannot get on board with this poor me attitude.  Stay in here whining, I'll be out finding birds

Care to elaborate on any references made to the lack of finding turkeys, killing turkeys, improvising, adapting, overcoming, walking farther, or working harder?  Not a poor me attitude or a "my" problem.  Much larger than that.

I feel I said it about as cut and dry as I could.  Care to elaborate on the "much bigger problem"?    Hunter numbers are drastically down.   Everywhere.   My state at its peak sold 90,000 Turk  we tags a year.   We sell 60,000 now.  Year In and year out.  That's the bigger problem.  Getting more people in our sport is the only way to ensure a lasting legacy.

I don't know where you are at but Montana has seen increases in license sales.

CALLM2U

Drama like this has ruined more forums than anything else. Looks like this one is following the same path.

:TrainWreck1:

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: CALLM2U on February 26, 2022, 09:13:11 AM
Drama like this has ruined more forums than anything else. Looks like this one is following the same path.

:TrainWreck1:

This is a debate.  This is a turkey hunting forum.  We can't debate issues that do and will effect the future of turkey hunting? 

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: aaron on February 26, 2022, 05:35:58 AM

The issue is the pressure placed on localized populations that have been immortalized and burned on social media.  It doesn't matter if your state is down, but pressure has been multiplied 5 fold in many highlighted areas.  There are other ways to recruit hunters than over publicizing areas.  That lasting legacy will crash and burn as opportunities continue to decrease....that's not going to bring more to the sport. 

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 26, 2022, 03:17:34 AM
It appears to me that some learned to walk before crawl. Hell they may have even been born talking and running already.

And guys please whatever we do, let's not try and handle it amongst ourselves, let's run to our politicians for help with a petition. That should work, our politicians are known for solving problems

Are we expecting too much? 

sasquatch1

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on February 26, 2022, 09:59:31 AM
Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 26, 2022, 03:17:34 AM

Are we expecting too much?
If petitioning our politicians to fix these problems is the solution.

Yea maybe so

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 24, 2022, 07:28:08 PM
Complains about tipping spots off by tipping spots off even more, but I get your point.  I drew an Iowa tag so maybe I should investigate!

Its a good area no doubt, I first hunted it in 2018 after watching their 2017 videos when they were still Spring Thunder. Took about 5 minutes to narrow down the general area they were in. I knew I better get up there quick after seeing a bunch of newbie turkey hunters (with the exception of Aaron) smoke long spurred birds left and right at the end of the season. Yup, they influenced me!

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Burney Mac on February 24, 2022, 08:51:22 PM
Deerhint1988....I see your angle and I understand you're trying to draw "awareness" to the issue at hand. However, have you ever stopped and thought just for one second the damage that you're solely doing all on your own by constantly bringing up "things" and other various topics, strictly in the name of "awareness"? I mean for the few people that haven't watched the video that frequent this forum. You want to be very clear for them to stop the video, zoom in, take notes, so they can be certain they get that exact location. Because Tommy sitting at home doesn't have sense enough to do that on his own. But just in case he doesn't have sense enough to pause a video. You want to be certain, that if he can read, he still gets the message on this forum of wherever your "awareness" platform takes you. I mean let's start a thread just to "show" how easy it is because a you tube video isn't enough. You decide there needs to be a thread dedicated to it.

Instead of hoping no one catches it, sees it, or recognizes it...you'll just be certain to draw as much attention to it as possible, as if there isn't already enough. You can save me it's a draw state yada yada yada crap. You're constant negative publicity on these forums snd your social media is just as bad and as detrimental and draws just as much attention as a guy posing with a turkey hanging on the national forest sign...which I miss bye the way. Of course, if one was wanting to be discreet and secretive, one could always post pictures of themselves with a face mask on....I really miss those the most. I just wonder why rocks snd glass don't mix so well.
I'm all for open debate and try to see two sides to every issue. But I've still yet to hear a valid reason as to why to continue to name states. A reason other than likes, subscribes, or money. A reason that helps benefit the wild turkey.

Damage i'm doing?

So its acceptable to advertise specific public lands to your 20k-450k subscribers. Its acceptable to exploit/commercialize our public lands for financial gain. But it is not acceptable to bring awareness to these issues? Sometimes you have to make a HARD point by showing examples of what information can easily be gathered.

Many people aren't aware of what is happening. Especially when it comes to the current public land situation in which areas are getting pounded like never before and hunting opportunities are being taken away because of it. I care about the local public land hunter who just lost 2 weeks of his GA hunting season. I care about the Alabama hunters who've gotten the shaft. I care about the south Florida hunters who can't even hunt their local WMAs within a reasonable timeframe anymore because someone wanted to draw all the attention in the world to them. This isn't "about me" as many responses in this thread seem to think it is. It is something much bigger.

The more awareness we can bring to this issue, the better chance we have at getting some of this stopped. I guarantee you that TWRA or GADNR will now think twice about paying "influencers" to come hunt in their state again while they simultaneously take away hunting opportunity. There were A LOT of disgruntled TN and GA residents last summer after they found out about the situation. How did they find out? Folks doing research themselves and spreading awareness.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: aclawrence on February 25, 2022, 08:05:46 AM
I watched one of Dave's last videos and I'm sure he was hunting one of my local WMA's. He lives close by now and the terrain is identical to wear I hunt. I kept watching for some recognizable landmarks but he never showed any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We need more to follow this lead. I understand things slip through sometimes, but at other times they are pretty blatant with what they show.