OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

This is why you don't show pins/imagery in videos

Started by deerhunt1988, February 24, 2022, 04:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sasquatch1

Quote from: Paulmyr on February 25, 2022, 03:00:22 PM
How about, if you guys want to be activists, go the source. Take a look around the perimeter of this message board. That's where you start. They and the companies like them have more power to control the fate of the resource than any Youtube video guys. If you want no more YouTube vids tell them and show them that you don't like them supporting........whatever it is you don't like.......You don't like watching people shoot jakes, you dont like people naming states.

All I'm saying boys is if your serious take it to the top. Find out who supports them and let them have it. Let the sponsors know things need to change. The only way to do that is hurt their bottom lines more than if they weren't promoting turkey hunting. Feel like saying good bye to your Mossy Oak Original Bottomlands. Have at it.

Any thing else is...well......just complaining on a message board.

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 25, 2022, 02:14:11 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on February 25, 2022, 02:05:08 PM
Quote from: arkrem870 on February 25, 2022, 01:39:39 PM
It matters a great deal.... As southern hunters have seen the largest pressure increase and are dealing with loss of season/limits/draw etc. Frankly we go north for easy gobblers and less pressure.
You say that like I don't hunt the south? Like I don't have places there that I  have worked hard to find keep secret. Spots that I can return too after not having been in 20 yrs and bring home gobblers. You say that like I haven't spent over 30 days in Ga in one trip learning to hunt tough pressured "southern gobblers". Like I haven't spent week long trips to Arkansas only to come home with bad poison oak. Like I haven't seen the hay days of Missouri........ You say that like I don't know what I'm talking about. Stereotype much?

I got some news for you. Turkey's are turkeys no mater where you hunt them. They can be just as tough up here in Mn and just as easy down there in the south. And pressure is everywhere on public land.
All this past tense talk. When last have you been? 20 years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last year. Do you want know how many brought I home too? Maybe the color of the under of the underwear I was wearing when I shot them?
Hey, you the one that went on talking about all your has been stuff.

Seems I would have led with what I recently did vs what I use to do. Especially being we are all talking about RECENT changes.

Also, several on here have brought it up to the top, going as far as meeting with some of the youtubers to discuss view points.

And sure, if you offering pony it on up. I hope it wasn't a pinhoti thong.

El Pavo Grande

How about, if you guys want to be activists, go the source. Take a look around the perimeter of this message board. That's where you start. They and the companies like them have more power to control the fate of the resource than any Youtube video guys. If you want no more YouTube vids tell them and show them that you don't like them supporting........whatever it is you don't like.......You don't like watching people shoot jakes, you dont like people naming states.

All I'm saying boys is if your serious take it to the top. Find out who supports them and let them have it. Let the sponsors know things need to change. The only way to do that is hurt their bottom lines more than if they weren't promoting turkey hunting. Feel like saying good bye to your Mossy Oak Original Bottomlands. Have at it.

It matters a great deal.... As southern hunters have seen the largest pressure increase and are dealing with loss of season/limits/draw etc. Frankly we go north for easy gobblers and less pressure.
You say that like I don't hunt the south? Like I don't have places there that I  have worked hard to find keep secret. Spots that I can return too after not having been in 20 yrs and bring home gobblers. You say that like I haven't spent over 30 days in Ga in one trip learning to hunt tough pressured "southern gobblers". Like I haven't spent week long trips to Arkansas only to come home with bad poison oak. Like I haven't seen the hay days of Missouri........ You say that like I don't know what I'm talking about. Stereotype much?

I got some news for you. Turkey's are turkeys no mater where you hunt them. They can be just as tough up here in Mn and just as easy down there in the south. And pressure is everywhere on public land.

Last year. Do you want know how many brought home too? Maybe the color of the under of the underwear I was wearing when I shot them?

The source is the irresponsibility by many on YT, FB, and forums.  Joe X is just as guilty on FB pics of WMA signs as the THP is for promoting National Forest land in North XYZ state. 

What if enough hunters are educated to the negative impacts?  Maybe Joe X has never been educated of the negative impacts.  What if as a whole the masses don't just shrug their shoulders and say "oh, well.  It's entertaining, you should just work harder and get over it"?  Change the culture from the bottom up.  Pull the rug out from under the nonsense and demand some change.  Speak out against it and quit punching the "Like" button.  Do you honestly think Mossy Oak is going to quit promoting Dave Owens or OnX is going to quit utilizing THP without a mass reduction in sales??  Negatory.  They are going to keep counting that money.  Some of these YT guys (not all) are flipping you the finger while filing another order on the fan club hat, decal, and shirt.  This has to be change from the foundation and what is to be accepted by the turkey hunting community.   

Here's the biggest What If.  What if someone provides a solid answer as to why we are wrong?  What if someone eloquently explains how promoting specifics has been a positive for localized turkey populations and turkey hunting opportunities?  I welcome at least one response with substance.

It's like half the cultural nonsense in this country..... where does it start?   In the home. 

sasquatch1

I am also one who has spoken out on good spots to go publicly.

Go way back in my post you'll see them. I once was naive in thinking there's ever be measurable harm that can be done.

And boy oh boy was I wrong. I've seen one place turn into a total nightmare from it. Part of the blame i feel is on me for it too.  I won't even step foot on that place again when you once could hunt it in solitude.

I've learned and adapted. I'll still help a small group out in PRIVATE messages only.

If you think having opportunities takes away is no big deal idk what to tell you. But it sucks. Want to know how bad it can get look to the west for elk hunting. Wanna Talk about opportunities shrinking? There's all you need there

Paulmyr

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on February 25, 2022, 02:11:34 PM
The apathy for the resource and future of turkey hunting within the current turkey hunting culture is astounding.  Absolutely amazing!!!  It is apathy to suggest everyone should just accept the increased pressures on localized populations and continued loss of hunting opportunities.  Think outside the box (critical thinking).... This is NOT a positive for our future.  Frankly, it's disappointing.   

For the thousandth time, plus a million more, the argument against the information free for all is not about "I", "Me", working harder, walking farther, be creative, find a new honey hole.  Not sure how much more clear that can be stated. 

I hope we never get invaded by a foreign power.... "Get over it boys, it's a sign of the times.  Accept it and move on". 

We aren't asking to blow up the internet, just asking that those on YT, FB, Forums, etc. change the content that is shared.

Show up on the door step with 100,000 signatures from people stating they disagree with whatever company supporting whatever cause. Bet that might get some attention.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Jbird22

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on February 25, 2022, 03:25:48 PM
The source is the irresponsibility by many on YT, FB, and forums.  Joe X is just as guilty on FB pics of WMA signs as the THP is for promoting National Forest land in North XYZ state.
DAMN STRAIGHT!!!

Travelling/public land hunting wouldn't be so popular on YouTube had it not been glamorized on Forums and Social Media beforehand. You can't knock a small hole in a dam and then get upset when it erodes into a much larger hole. That water is lost and will never go back in.

Burney Mac

Last year. Do you want know how many brought home too? Maybe the color of the under of the underwear I was wearing when I shot them?

What if enough hunters are educated to the negative impacts?  Maybe Joe X has never been educated of the negative impacts.  What if as a whole the masses don't just shrug their shoulders and say "oh, well.  It's entertaining, you should just work harder and get over it"?  Change the culture from the bottom up.  Pull the rug out from under the nonsense and demand some change.  Speak out against it and quit punching the "Like" button.  Do you honestly think Mossy Oak is going to quit promoting Dave Owens or OnX is going to quit utilizing THP without a mass reduction in sales??  Negatory.  They are going to keep counting that money.  Some of these YT guys (not all) are flipping you the finger while filing another order on the fan club hat, decal, and shirt.  This has to be change from the foundation and what is to be accepted by the turkey hunting community.   

Here's the biggest What If.  What if someone provides a solid answer as to why we are wrong?  What if someone eloquently explains how promoting specifics has been a positive for localized turkey populations and turkey hunting opportunities?  I welcome at least one response with substance.

It's like half the cultural nonsense in this country..... where does it start?   In the home.

I'll bite.

What if these state agencies actually used the funds they've allocated for promoting and exploiting the resource, actually used and directed those funds for research before hand. All we ever hear is they're short on money. That's why the food plots on XYZ WMA is in broom straw and green briars but that NWTF sign looks good though don't it. How do they miraculously find money to pay groups to come film and showcase a certain state yet never have the man power or the money to properly do the job and task in which they are payed to do in the first place. However, in the meantime we're going to throw darts at the board because the simplest and easiest way to quickly mitigate the issue at hand is to control the one variable they can which is man. Never mind the influx and added pressure that was due in some degree and payed for mind you by the very agency or agencies that are telling is they have resources best interest in mind.
"It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."

St. Augustine Strutter

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on February 25, 2022, 02:11:34 PM
The apathy for the resource and future of turkey hunting within the current turkey hunting culture is astounding.  Absolutely amazing!!!  It is apathy to suggest everyone should just accept the increased pressures on localized populations and continued loss of hunting opportunities.  Think outside the box (critical thinking).... This is NOT a positive for our future.  Frankly, it's disappointing.   

For the thousandth time, plus a million more, the argument against the information free for all is not about "I", "Me", working harder, walking farther, be creative, find a new honey hole.  Not sure how much more clear that can be stated. 

I hope we never get invaded by a foreign power.... "Get over it boys, it's a sign of the times.  Accept it and move on". 

We aren't asking to blow up the internet, just asking that those on YT, FB, Forums, etc. change the content that is shared.

Well said. This Paulmyr fella is having trouble understanding that.

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: Burney Mac on February 25, 2022, 04:13:35 PM

I'll bite.

What if these state agencies actually used the funds they've allocated for promoting and exploiting the resource, actually used and directed those funds for research before hand. All we ever hear is they're short on money. That's why the food plots on XYZ WMA is in broom straw and green briars but that NWTF sign looks good though don't it. How do they miraculously find money to pay groups to come film and showcase a certain state yet never have the man power or the money to properly do the job and task in which they are payed to do in the first place. However, in the meantime we're going to throw darts at the board because the simplest and easiest way to quickly mitigate the issue at hand is to control the one variable they can which is man. Never mind the influx and added pressure that was due in some degree and payed for mind you by the very agency or agencies that are telling is they have resources best interest in mind.

I agree!!!  Also, Arkansas is living proof that a state can't regulate its way out of population issues. 

Turkeyman

Quite frankly,  regarding hunting, I can't help but think it would be better if all forms of social media didn't exist...including all forums, this included.

Paulmyr

I'll bite.

Signatures work real well on politicians. It's how the anti's get what they want.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

aaron

If these types of things effect your ability to kill a turkey, that's YOUR problem.  Improvise, adapt and overcome.   I cannot get on board with this poor me attitude.  Stay in here whining, I'll be out finding birds

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: aaron on February 25, 2022, 07:53:23 PM
If these types of things effect your ability to kill a turkey, that's YOUR problem.  Improvise, adapt and overcome.   I cannot get on board with this poor me attitude.  Stay in here whining, I'll be out finding birds

Care to elaborate on any references made to the lack of finding turkeys, killing turkeys, improvising, adapting, overcoming, walking farther, or working harder?  Not a poor me attitude or a "my" problem.  Much larger than that. 

Roost 1

I'll bite.

In the case of TN, the tourism agency worked against the TWRA.. while the tourism was paying the influencers, the TWRA was shortening the season and reducing bag limits to help curb the decline. While one agency was encouraging more non resident hunting, the other was taking opportunity away from residents and non-residents alike... Not my clowns, not my circus.

Sixes

[/quote]

In the case of TN, the tourism agency worked against the TWRA.. while the tourism was paying the influencers, the TWRA was shortening the season and reducing bag limits to help curb the decline. While one agency was encouraging more non resident hunting, the other was taking opportunity away from residents and non-residents alike... Not my clowns, not my circus.
[/quote]

Same for Georgia. Lost one bird off the limit, later start date and even later WMA start date and no more than one bird per day and no more than one bird per WMA.

We lost that while the state was paying guys to come and shoot deer and turkeys and KNOWING the turkey population has been going down over the last 5 years.

Why pay a group to come in and promote the killing of a declining resource?

catman529

Quote from: btodd00 on February 25, 2022, 01:38:35 PM
I've never been to any of the spots that they post the onx screen shots of so I wouldn't know if the terrain matches but I wonder if they just pull up a random spot on on x and put their name and bird location on that instead of where they are actually hunting. Videos in years past used to have a asterisk at the bottom and they would say example map when they were trying to showcase a feature or situation they were hunting

Yes they do this. I can't speak for the specific map in question, as I have not looked into it. But I know for a fact they use example maps of other areas with similar terrain. This has been a known issue for some time, and I can promise nobody that I personally know in the YouTube world is deliberately trying to give away a spot.

I myself use example maps every time I show a map in a video. It might be from the other side of the county, or in another state, it might be public or private, doesn't matter. If ever show a map in a video, it's nowhere near where I'm actually hunting. A simple illustration with similar terrain features is all that is needed, it does not mean it's the actual location of the hunt.