turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

This is why you don't show pins/imagery in videos

Started by deerhunt1988, February 24, 2022, 04:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

It can, and will, be found. This is just one of MANY examples of spots found after being shown in videos. This particular example was sent to me by a friend who enjoys finding these spots during his downtime at work.

During the start of the "YouTube era", I recognized imagery from a prominent YouTuber and notified him. He recognized his mistake and acknowledged it in the very next video. I assume he hasn't shown much, if any, real imagery or "pins" since. However, that can't be said for all.

So what is the incentive, you may ask? Why would they continue to show real imagery/topo and compromise their spots? It is rather simple. $$. They want their viewers using onX to try and find spots. They want as many people using their "onX code" as possible. Because kickbacks. They basically get commission when you use their onX code for the discount.

In this particular case, the state is Iowa. So an influx of non-residents to these spots isn't much of concern due to the regulated non-resident hunting. And they can get plenty of resident tags to continue filming each spring. But the same can't be said for other states where real spots are shown.

If you want to show your spot to the world, please at least take the courtesy not to name the state? Or vice versa.

GobbleNut

Your point is well taken.  It makes me wonder how many folks around the country might take the time to try to do this,...and then afterward travel there to hunt?   

ChesterCopperpot

TurkeyReaper69

Great post Deerhunt,
I drew Iowa Season 4 Zone 1 this year. I'm guessing this is Rathbun lake. Mind sending me the pin? I'd love to kill a bird on same ridge as THP.

paboxcall

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 24, 2022, 05:54:44 PM
Your point is well taken.  It makes me wonder how many folks around the country might take the time to try to do this,...and then afterward travel there to hunt?

Under 2 minutes, never once stepped foot in Iowa. All without owning a youtuber hoodie.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

sasquatch1

I guarantee you it's wayyyyy more than you'd ever think.

That's why they love dropping them hints, it keeps thousands of people watching their videos for where they can go.

Public land been around forever, yet nobody went and they weren't very crowded because "man they over run with people and no animals mindset"

People "the masses" fear the unknown and aren't very adventurous

Yet, once you prove it out (show videos of success, gobbling birds, kill pics by wma signs) etc etc they will flock there.

Ask yourself how many people ever struck out to a new area blindly with you. Then ask yourself how many people said they'd like to make a hunt with you once you went and was successful a few times.

Compare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master Gobbie

There's a local guy that has posted videos for about a decade now. And I get more entertainment from figuring out his locations than I do watching him hunt.

His intros show which way he's leaving town, the sunrise is all you need for orientation, and with the mountains and ski resorts off in the distance it's pretty easy really.

I've never spot poached any of them, because I have my own places elsewhere, but it's cringeworthy how much background he puts in!

"Oh these mountain views..."

He'll learn one day.
Proverbs  3: 5-6

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 24, 2022, 06:03:56 PM
I guarantee you it's wayyyyy more than you'd ever think.

That's why they love dropping them hints, it keeps thousands of people watching their videos for where they can go.

Public land been around forever, yet nobody went and they weren't very crowded because "man they over run with people and no animals mindset"

People "the masses" fear the unknown and aren't very adventurous

Yet, once you prove it out (show videos of success, gobbling birds, kill pics by wma signs) etc etc they will flock there.

Ask yourself how many people ever struck out to a new area blindly with you. Then ask yourself how many people said they'd like to make a hunt with you once you went and was successful a few times.

Compare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Truth.   It's an instant gratification culture now, and turkey hunting is no exception.  Heaven forbid one put in effort.  Most want it served on a silver platter, and this culture has been in part created by much of the nonsense we see with those profiting off public land.  I personally wish OnX would go away.  Another tool that has presented some negatives for a resource that isn't in endless supply. 

g8rvet

I had a nice day on a public area duck hunting. We were posting pics of our best day of the year.  It is a member site like this one.  I blurred out the background with Paint so you could not tell where it was.  I took a ton of flak from folks about how it was a douche move.  I just laughed and said the internet is forever.   Got about 3 PMs from fellow members that knew where I was because we see each other there and they all thanked me.  Common sense should be called uncommon sense because most folks ain't got it. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Dtrkyman

Complains about tipping spots off by tipping spots off even more, but I get your point.  I drew an Iowa tag so maybe I should investigate!

J-Shaped

More than a few, and people have been doing it well before OnX came onboard by noting prominent landscape features (i.e. mountain ranges out West), snagging data off of images, and some even going so far of Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests to find out where some of the larger outfits have pulled permits to film on National Forrest wilderness areas out west. With a little intuition and spare time, it's not hard. Point being, this stuff has been going on for years, and tools like OnX only make it easier. I've seen people post imagery with road names, lakes, creeks, national forest road signs, you name it.

DH1988's point is well taken - why make it so easy? I've found OnX locations literally within 5 minutes with some of the YouTube videos.

Burney Mac

Deerhint1988....I see your angle and I understand you're trying to draw "awareness" to the issue at hand. However, have you ever stopped and thought just for one second the damage that you're solely doing all on your own by constantly bringing up "things" and other various topics, strictly in the name of "awareness"? I mean for the few people that haven't watched the video that frequent this forum. You want to be very clear for them to stop the video, zoom in, take notes, so they can be certain they get that exact location. Because Tommy sitting at home doesn't have sense enough to do that on his own. But just in case he doesn't have sense enough to pause a video. You want to be certain, that if he can read, he still gets the message on this forum of wherever your "awareness" platform takes you. I mean let's start a thread just to "show" how easy it is because a you tube video isn't enough. You decide there needs to be a thread dedicated to it.

Instead of hoping no one catches it, sees it, or recognizes it...you'll just be certain to draw as much attention to it as possible, as if there isn't already enough. You can save me it's a draw state yada yada yada crap. You're constant negative publicity on these forums snd your social media is just as bad and as detrimental and draws just as much attention as a guy posing with a turkey hanging on the national forest sign...which I miss bye the way. Of course, if one was wanting to be discreet and secretive, one could always post pictures of themselves with a face mask on....I really miss those the most. I just wonder why rocks snd glass don't mix so well.
"It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."

Bedge7767

I wish I had enough time to worry about where someone else is hunting.
Jim