turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many snakes do you encounter?

Started by Master Gobbie, February 24, 2022, 01:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master Gobbie

All your stories make me incredibly grateful for where I get to hunt!

Ticks are what is concerns me the most now, I've lost track of how many I've had burrowed into me, and only until last year started spraying my stuff down with Sawyers.
Proverbs  3: 5-6

Cut N Run

I wear snake boots every time I turkey hunt.  We mostly have copperheads in the central part of North Carolina.  I have run into moccasins and rattlesnakes down east.  Been hit in the boot by a copperhead, though his fangs didn't get through the boot.  He didn't live to brag about it to his buddies.

On a turkey hunt in Chatham County, I ran into three copperheads at an old home place I was hunting that had several rock piles, a pair of stone chimneys, and a big downed oak. It seemed like everyplace I looked was another one.  I was high stepping my way out of there.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

30_06

I don't wear snake boots in western NC. I typically see one or two a year, some poisonous some not...either way I'm killing or steering clear.

Esse quam videri

Which Gun

I run into snakes all year long. Ran across a very large rattlesnake in November chasing rabbits. Run into moccasins deer hunting swamps. Runs on into turkey hunting.

eddie234

A black snake here or there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3bailey3

3bailey3

Tail Feathers

If I only had copperheads and coral snakes I wouldn't bother with any snake boots.  Both are rather small and my regular 8" high boots would likely stop a bite.  But most copperhead bites often aren't to the leg, they are to the hand or arm as they tend to hide and hold their ground when approached, often biting a hand when someone clears leaves away or picks something up.
Cottonmouths will protect their territory, we have some of those.  Rattlers blend in so well and can get big enough to put a big hurting on your calf.  We have all four here but I just bought some snake proof gaiters just for FL.  Lots of water and low spots and my gut said to get some snake protection this trip.  I'll be hoping I don't have an encounter.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Happy

So do you fellows with rattlesnakes have them buzzing at you often? Round here they don't tend to announce themselves much and don't rattle till you are either about to step on them or start messing with them. Had one that needed relocated a few years ago and it didn't start buzzing till his back end was halfway off the ground. Most times they just let me walk by and don't draw attention to themselves

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

g8rvet

I live in N Fl.  See rattlers, moccasin and copperhead regularly, but not anywhere near every trip.  Saw a coral here with my nephew one time. A big one.  He was looking at it closely and I said "Red on yella, kill a fella".  He had never seen one.  They were common in central Fl where I grew up. 

I was out pre-season scouting a now closed WMA right next to my house.  I sat down in a clear cut to listen pre dawn.  I was sitting there and thought I heard one way off and was listening close to figure out what head he was roosted in.  I heard a noise right behind me and turned my head to see the largest copperhead I had ever seen, before or since, headed right for my leg.  I had no gun.  I looked around for a branch to murder him with if needed, but they had really chopped this place.  So I just sat still, eased my legs up real tight and we both went on our way. 

That was probably my closest encounter since I was a kid. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Yoder409

In all my years, I've only run into a couple rattlers........that I know of.  I wear snake boots.  I wear them, partly, so I don't have to pay attention to anything but turkeys.  But, I wear them MOSTLY because I love the ankle support in rough terrain.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

g8rvet

Quote from: Happy on February 24, 2022, 07:14:13 PM
So do you fellows with rattlesnakes have them buzzing at you often? Round here they don't tend to announce themselves much and don't rattle till you are either about to step on them or start messing with them. Had one that needed relocated a few years ago and it didn't start buzzing till his back end was halfway off the ground. Most times they just let me walk by and don't draw attention to themselves
My experience as well. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Sixes

Usually a rattler or 2 in middle GA, a cottonmouth here or there in Middle GA, copperheads are more common where I live and where my primary lease is located.

I wear snake boots, but figure if I am ever bit, it will be in the hand when I go to sit down or stand up.  I once lowered my backpack from a treestand at dark, climbed down and grabbed my pack and I had lowered it on a copperhead.  A buddy of mine was hunting on the ground and had a copperhead slide over his boot.

I am not afraid of them,  but I do have enough sense to wear snake boots, I actually stepped on a rattler's back one deer season in tall grass, luckily it was cool and he didn't seem to mind too  bad.

Cottonmouths are what I do not care for, I have had a few of them over the years take offense to me and coil and be ready to strike.

AS I've gotten older, I've learned that most rattlers are very calm and docile and most do not even rattle unless provoked. Copperheads have Little Man Syndrome and Cottonmouths are just belligerent and mean acting.

3bailey3

The last 4 i have seen none rattled, i threw sticks mud balls at the first one i had in pic and nothing, the last one i almost stepped on never made a sound until after i shot him and started to cut off the rattles and he started to rattle with no head..

g8rvet

Quote from: Sixes on February 24, 2022, 07:33:21 PM
AS I've gotten older, I've learned that most rattlers are very calm and docile and most do not even rattle unless provoked. Copperheads have Little Man Syndrome and Cottonmouths are just belligerent and mean acting.
So you are saying Rattlers are men, Copperheads are teenage boys and Cottonmouths are women? :drool: