OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many snakes do you encounter?

Started by Master Gobbie, February 24, 2022, 01:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixes

Quote from: g8rvet on February 24, 2022, 07:41:47 PM
Quote from: Sixes on February 24, 2022, 07:33:21 PM
AS I've gotten older, I've learned that most rattlers are very calm and docile and most do not even rattle unless provoked. Copperheads have Little Man Syndrome and Cottonmouths are just belligerent and mean acting.
So you are saying Rattlers are men, Copperheads are teenage boys and Cottonmouths are women? :drool:

Never thought of it that way, but there are a lot similarities!

Paulmyr

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 24, 2022, 05:16:11 PM
I have been close enough to have been bitten many times without a single strike and have come to the conclusion (hopefully not falsely) that they as reluctant to bite me as I am to be bitten.

Makes sense to me. From what I understand it takes quite a bit of energy and time for a snake to replace venom. I can see where they wouldn't throw it around willey nilley. Some snakes types must be better at judging prey size than others. It's the only thing I can up with to explain the aggressive nature some.

Think I've seen one venomous snake in my lifetime. Late season Mo. Just starting trip back home to Mn I passed over what believe was a rattler with the truck. He was a short, fat sucker. I could see the diamond markings on his back just before he went under the truck.

Most of the snakes are still pretty lethargic when I'm hunting down south so I don't bother with snake boots.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Kylongspur88

Lots of non poisonous snakes. Some copperheads and the occasional timber rattler. I wear gaiters even though I only know 1 guy who's actually been bit and he wasn't hunting when it happened

Howie g

Just a part of life here in the Ms / Lou .   If I had to put a average # ? Probly 20 to 30 encounters yearly .
I don't like killing them unless there close to my house .

Hwd silvestris

I've heard several old timers say rattlesnakes won't climb trees.  Well I can tell that ain't right!  Not sure if you can see real well in this picture.  This ole boy was about 5 feet in a tree.   I heard him buzz at me and started looking on ground for him.  Couldn't find him. Finally picked him out up in a small tree.   This one shook me up pretty bad as I was extremely close to him.   It took a couple hours for me to settle down from this encounter and being in the timber business I see them regularly.    I normally leave them alone out in the woods and away from the house but I took this on out.  Had my snake chaps on.  Needed a neck chap for this timber rattler. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3chunter

Over my 26 seasons of turkey hunting I have had so many close encounters. I had a rattlesnake between my legs at daylight before.  Sat down beside a 6 ft monster rattler one time.  If he would have bit me I wouldn't be here today. I have stepped on many cottonmouths.  Been struck by copperheads.  I do not leave home without snake boots. 

dzsmith

Quote from: Master Gobbie on February 24, 2022, 01:33:19 PM
Living and hunting out west, Rattlesnakes are not at all uncommon, but I've never been concerned enough to wear snake boots.

It sounds like some of you in other places encounter them (snakes) on a regular basis, how often? and how many have you seen in a season?

I wanna hear some stories, not just horror stories, but tell me some experiences you've had.

Honestly ....very few. I look foward to my annual encounter with a chicken snake "rat snake" layed out sunning on a dirt road. I see one almost every year. As far as venomous snakes....as common as they are where i live, I dont actually encounter them very often while turkey hunting. Maybe once a season at most. Just my luck i guess. However early season is quiet often still pretty cool weather. I dont wear snake boots. I do however see many snakes throughout the year....they just arent super out and about in the places i hunt during turkey season. I leave most snakes alone. the only snake ill go out of my way to kill is a cottonmouth.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

aclawrence

I see a few venomous snakes every season. I had never seen a rattlesnake until I started hunting a new area and now I have seen several. I've almost stepped on two, both when it was colder outside. They didn't move or rattle and I had my turtle skin gaiters on but it still gets your heart to beating.  The area I hunt mostly is a good hour from a hospital and sometimes I'm two miles from the truck. I'm more comfortable with gaiters. With a serious rattlesnake bite I might not even be able to get back to the truck and if I do I'm still a long way from help. Throw in no cell service and it's a bad situation. I also try to be careful when sitting down against a tree or crawling through the woods. Those copperheads disappear in the leaves. I've seen timber's, a Pygmy, copperheads, and cottonmouths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timmer

I'm up north so don't see a lot of snakes.  I'm thankful as they are the one creature that flat out gives me the willies, regardless of whether they are poisonous or not.  We do have rattle snakes in the bluff lands, which is where I hunt.  2 snake related experiences that come to mind:

1)  I had permissions to hunt a piece of property for probably 7 years.  I always check in and remind the farmer that I am in town and will be hunting.  One visit after small talk I turned to leave and the wife stated "and remember, be careful of the snakes."   It turns out they previously forgot to mention to me that their bluffs were the site of studies as they had the highest quantity of rattle snake dens in Minnesota.  I'm a runner and gunner and thought about all the times I dropped into rocky ravines, took a break sitting on rocks, snuck around without looking down, etc.  I believe it's still too cold in the spring for them to be active but I now stick to the woods and prairies when I hunt their property.

2)  I was sneak hunting in Wisconsin when all of a sudden a snake pops up about 2 feet away.  It was a Hognose and pulled the cobra mimic trick - head up in the air, neck and head flattened, hissing like mad.  It scared the hell out of me and I had to tell my self that I wasn't in Africa and it is not a cobra!

Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Timmer

Quote from: Hwd silvestris on February 24, 2022, 09:41:32 PM
I've heard several old timers say rattlesnakes won't climb trees.  Well I can tell that ain't right!  Not sure if you can see real well in this picture.  This ole boy was about 5 feet in a tree.   I heard him buzz at me and started looking on ground for him.  Couldn't find him. Finally picked him out up in a small tree.

That is a big NOPE!  I'd find another hobby!
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Paulmyr

Quote from: Paulmyr on February 24, 2022, 07:48:07 PM
Quote from: GobbleNut on February 24, 2022, 05:16:11 PM
I have been close enough to have been bitten many times without a single strike and have come to the conclusion (hopefully not falsely) that they as reluctant to bite me as I am to be bitten.

Makes sense to me. From what I understand it takes quite a bit of energy and time for a snake to replace venom. I can see where they wouldn't throw it around willey nilley. Some snakes types must be better at judging prey size than others. It's the only thing I can up with to explain the aggressive nature some.

Think I've seen one venomous snake in my lifetime. Late season Mo. Just starting trip back home to Mn I passed over what believe was a rattler with the truck. He was a short, fat sucker. I could see the diamond markings on his back just before he went under the truck.

Most of the snakes are still pretty lethargic when I'm hunting down south so I don't bother with snake boots.

Check that! I just bought a pair of snake boots. Thanks to ssramage for posting the Danner boot sale. Didn't buy em
for snakes and such, bought em for walking through swamps and climbing ridges. Rubber boots hurt the arch in my right foot. The price was good enough it talked me into buying a pair to try out.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Yoder409

Part of my reasoning, too, was.......... I'm gonna have to wear boots to turkey hunt ANYWAYS, so...........

My snake boots (Irish Setter VaprTreks) are light, comfortable, waterproof AND snakeproof and cost me the same or less than what I've paid for other "regular" boots.

I know a couple people that got hit by copperheads.  I don't want NOOOOOOO parts of it. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

cracker4112

Hunting down here in Florida, I don't see many.  I used to hunt a place that had a bunch, but the couple place I hunt now just don't have many rattlers or cottonmouths.  I think its because both places are out of control with hogs, and they put a hurtin on the snakes. I'll see one or two venomous snakes a year, certainly not enough to make me wear hot snake boots.

RutnNStrutn

I've mainly hunted SC and FLA. Both have rattlers, cottonmouths, and coral snakes. SC also has copperheads. I never go into the woods without snake boots. I be been struck twice while walking in the dark. Fortunately I was wearing snake boots.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

rifleman

I most often hunt in the EP of WV and nearby Clarke County, VA.  I have seen maybe 3-4 rattlers in 50 years of hunting here.  Enough that I always wear snake boots or snake chaps.  I fear all snake, just me I guess.  I bowhunted bear in Southern WV for several and snakes were a daily occurrence and always big yellow rattlers.  Usually saw them in the old gas line roads.  I was always very cautious esp. leaving the tree in the dark.