turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many snakes do you encounter?

Started by Master Gobbie, February 24, 2022, 01:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master Gobbie

Living and hunting out west, Rattlesnakes are not at all uncommon, but I've never been concerned enough to wear snake boots.

It sounds like some of you in other places encounter them (snakes) on a regular basis, how often? and how many have you seen in a season?

I wanna hear some stories, not just horror stories, but tell me some experiences you've had.
Proverbs  3: 5-6

Muzzy61

Hunting here in Florida I don't go in the woods without Snake boots. I encounter several each year. The rattle snakes don't bother me to bad but I hunt mostly swamp land and it is full of cotton mouths. Those bother me, they are aggressive and give no warning.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

btodd00

Ive only bumped into a few rattlesnakes in the field but the cottonmouths are thick down here in Florida. Rarely do I spend a day in the  woods without seeing at least 1, I've only had 2 close calls with them though 

Remington700

Here in west TN in the river bottoms we have lots of cotton mouths. I do not wear snake boots, but do wear knee high rubber boots. We also have plenty of copper heads as well.

Notsoyoungturk

Also from West TN, I always wear snake boots.  Hunt woods and bottoms.  Have seen a few cottonmouths in the bottoms and copperheads in the woods but fortunately no real close encounters.  At least that I know about.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

guesswho

I seem to run into more two legged snakes than no legged.  Personally,  I'd rather deal with the ones with no legs. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Spitten and drummen

Here in the Sip I run across an average of 6 per year that I see. No telling how many I dont. Some poisonous and some not. Been bit several years ago by a stumptail moccasin. No fun. I dont wear snakeboots. They would not have helped anyway as I was bit on my thigh.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Gobbler428

I live in South Carolina and don't go in the woods without snake boots. We have cottonmouths, copperheads as well as both eastern, timber and diamondback rattle snakes. I usually see one or two each year and have had one close call with a cottonmouth - they tend to be aggressive sometimes.

Happy

Very seldom do I run into poisonous snakes. The copperhead have been the most aggressive out of what we have here. I like wearing snake boots just because a lot of times I am alone in some remote areas with little cell service.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

SSCsnood

Southwest Alabama and I see quite a few every year. Timbers, cottonmouths, and copperheads. I don't mind them much but do wear snake boots when it's warm enough to worry with them. Don't want one ending my season early and the rattlesnakes can be a life altering experience. Stepped center mast on a large copperhead a few years back and he never even coiled up. He acted as if nothing happened, I went and changed my drawers.

Candyman

A few every year. I hit the trifecta a year ago. Rattlesnake, cottonmouth and copperhead. My Danner snake boots are the most comfortable boots I own. It gives me piece of mind having them on. One less thing to think about when chasing a gobbler.

bobk

Typically encounter several rattlesnakes each turkey season in the woods. More if you were to count the one seen laying on the dirt mountain roads. I always wear snake boots, have had close calls were I stepped very close to a rattlesnake.

GobbleNut

Living out west, the only snakes we have that we really need to be concerned with are the various rattlesnakes.  Having hunted amongst them for six decades now, we have developed a mutual understanding that if we cross paths, we leave each other alone other than the occasional warning rattle (from them) and the startled girly-scream (from me). The really big ones will rear up on their hind legs once in a while and give out a blood-curdling hiss...which will most definitely get your attention real quick.  I have been close enough to have been bitten many times without a single strike and have come to the conclusion (hopefully not falsely) that they as reluctant to bite me as I am to be bitten.

Since I typically hunt turkeys at elevations above 8,000 ft. here, I have rarely had run-ins with rattlers. They just don't like living that high up for the most part.  At lower elevations and during the warmer months, I will have "friendly encounters" with rattlers and a variety of other desert-dwelling snakes pretty often.  They come with the territory and don't much worry me none.  I have never worn any kind of special leg protection,...and at this point in time, don't plan to.  Now, if I lived in other parts of the country where some of the fellows on here live, I might have developed a different attitude by now.... :)

roberthyman14

Here in nw Florida.  We have plenty of rattlesnakes and cotton mouths.  See a few every year. 

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls

Tom007

Cold weather NJ, and NY, very few snakes during turkey season. I only came across one Copperhead, and a few black snakes in all my years hunting here. I did encounter lots of rattlesnakes in Texas hunting with my brother years ago. They are common there.....
"Solo hunter"