OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mouth call break in and daily warm up

Started by packmule, February 23, 2022, 11:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Chris Brumfiel on March 05, 2022, 05:17:26 AM
Quote from: compton30 on March 04, 2022, 11:04:06 PM
I have a call in my mouth as soon as I fire up the truck during turkey season. I can't run a call with a chew of snuff in my mouth so it acts as a substitute during season. Nothing worse than putting a fresh pinch of snuff in only to hear a bird gobble a minute later.

As far as breaking in a call, it depends on the call and what I want it to sound like. They're only going to loosen with time so for a hard cutting, loud, raspy yelper it might be a brand new call. Generally I just use the one I've been running.

I dipped Copenhagen snuff for 20+ years, I hear ya about putting in a fresh dip to then hear a gobbler fire off. Go to pouches, it'll change your life... lol!
I can run mouth calls with nicotine pouches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: gergg on March 05, 2022, 06:50:34 AM
I don't even use mouth calls these days, but when I did, I would put them in a cup of very warm water for 5-10 minutes while I was making coffee....that seemed to break open reeds pretty good and never had issues with them coming apart either.
That should do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Master Gobbie

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on March 05, 2022, 09:06:13 AM
I have a call in my mouth as soon as I fire up the truck during turkey season. I can't run a call with a chew of snuff in my mouth so it acts as a substitute during season. Nothing worse than putting a fresh pinch of snuff in only to hear a bird gobble a minute later.

As far as breaking in a call, it depends on the call and what I want it to sound like. They're only going to loosen with time so for a hard cutting, loud, raspy yelper it might be a brand new call. Generally I just use the one I've been running.

I dipped Copenhagen snuff for 20+ years, I hear ya about putting in a fresh dip to then hear a gobbler fire off. Go to pouches, it'll change your life... lol!

My hat's off to you guys that can do this! Not all heroes wear capes, right?
Proverbs  3: 5-6

CMBOSTC

Quote from: Master Gobbie on March 05, 2022, 09:45:04 AM
Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on March 05, 2022, 09:06:13 AM

My hat's off to you guys that can do this! Not all heroes wear capes, right?

It just takes a little to get use too. It's the same principle as a piece of candy IOT create saliva for more raspiness.

mspaci

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 23, 2022, 11:52:11 PM
Just make sure it's not dry or the reeds are stuck and run it.

this is all I do

CAPTJJ

I like the Hooks mouth calls, perfect size for my smaller pallette. A slight bend to the frame and that's it, no break in or warm up. Killed an Osceola yesterday with the same call I used last season after disinfecting. Always have spares ready to go in case one stretches or wears out.