turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Halloran black limba vs walnut help

Started by RiverRoost, February 23, 2022, 09:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Getting a buddy a wedding gift and debating between Halloran ebony and walnut or ebony and black limba short box. Opinions on the two?

Jbird22

I have an Ebony/Walnut and a friend has the Ebony/Limba. After playing/hearing both, you can't go wrong with either of them IMO.

ChesterCopperpot

I run the ebony/walnut a good bit late season. Haven't played the limba. You could send him an email and ask about sound differences. He's usually very responsive. Both would absolutely be great calls so boils down to sound and what you're looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vt35mag

I think his ebony/walnut is the best ebony lid shortbox he makes.

Greg Massey

I like the ebony Walnut , besides sounding good , those 2 combo's together makes for beautiful call...

TalknTurkey

I was actually trying to decide between these two boxes last year and sent David an email asking if he had a sound file of the limba. I got a reply back from his wife Ashley that said she didn't have a sound file, but did provide the following info, hope this helps!

"It is a sweeter sounding call than the ebony/walnut with a smoother note. I know if David had to pick just one box it would be the ebony/walnut. It is a great raspy call with plenty of range from loud locating to soft calling."

rakkin6

Well I see I am going against the grain here but I like the sound and looks of the ebony/black limba. I suppose that's why I own it lol.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

PEte_A

Don't overlook his Purple Heart over cedar

Missouri hunter

I played both at the NWTF convention. The walnut was more aggressive and the limba was smoother and more versatile. If I was to get one I would go with limba, but I already have a Purple Heart and cedar, butternut and walnut, and ebony and poplar.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

TurkeyReaper69

I'm not a box call guy by any means, really only pull it out when out west to get a merriams/Rio gobbling. But man, I have a ebony/walunt from DH. I don't think theres a much better box out there.