OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Hunter's

Started by Greg Massey, February 22, 2022, 11:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard black

Woodsmanship, experience, practice all year round on the calls, and everything else mentioned. Then we still get outsmarted. And that's why we turkey hunt.

fallhnt

Knowledge of the public ground I hunt.
Practice shooting my bow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Paulmyr

A turkey hunters best tools is his brain. That explains why so many of us are behind the 8 ball before we even get out of the truck!
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

RutnNStrutn

Personally, I take great satisfaction in beating a gobbler at his own game. To call in a gobbler to 20 yards or less, without decoys, when he wants to strut, gobble and let the ladies come to him, takes woodsmanship, calling skills, plus knowledge of turkey behavior.
However, sometimes all of that is still not enough. When it isn't, then yes, I like having a setup that allows me to reach out and kill a hung up gobbler. And I'm not above using decoys, or crawling them up if that's what it takes.
And no, I don't care what the purists think about the way I hunt.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

I love calling but woodsmanship and patience patience and more patience is what kills birds. Thats one thing you cant buy.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

guesswho

I rely on reacting instead of thinking.    Turkeys tend to do the same to survive. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Spurs

Quote from: guesswho on February 22, 2022, 02:33:20 PM
I rely on reacting instead of thinking.    Turkeys tend to do the same to survive.
I have found that spinning in circles and simple stupidity has killed more bird than a well developed plan. :TooFunny:
This year is going to suck!!!

Happy

Woodsmanship, camo, calling ability, a shotgun and shotgun shells that will reach out to 40 yards give or take a few. Thats what I use to turkey hunt. I play the game utilizing the above tools and personally consider any full fanned gobbler called in and killed a success. I will happily loose the game before I lower my standards.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

guesswho

Quote from: Spurs on February 22, 2022, 02:45:40 PM
Quote from: guesswho on February 22, 2022, 02:33:20 PM
I have found that spinning in circles and simple stupidity has killed more bird than a well developed plan. :TooFunny:
:TooFunny: Pretty much my train of thought.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

runngun

Woodsmanship/Set-up, because you gotta be looking where he "wants" to be. Because if you ain't, well it ain't gonna work!

Have a good one,
Ray

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Tom007

Great post Greg. X10 here on the woodsman-ship. Over the years, I have learned to know the properties that I hunt like the back of my hand. My success rate has gone up significantly by finding and learning gobblers "Comfort zones". These are the areas where I hear the gobbling, see the scratching, dusting areas etc. year after year. Once I pattern these comfort zones, I select and log-in set-up spots where I harvest these birds. I analyze the patterns and terrain in these spots. They all have similarities. I always try to find their traveling paths of least resistance, strut areas, and hen feeding areas. Obviously this has taken years to learn. Coupling this with all the great tactics mentioned above; these are the things that I rely on to go to war with an Old Tom.....
"Solo hunter"

MK M GOBL

To me Woodsmanship is the key and that encompasses many things, learning through experience, I'll break out the calls in Jan. each year.

Dad taught me to hunt, I taught Dad about turkey hunting and that has led me down this path. A big part of pre-season is teaching/seminars and such and that leads into the "Learn to Hunts", Youth Hunts, Charity Hunts, Taking out Friends, and some of the Newbies. I would tell you 2/3rds of the birds I have ever "taken" I never squeezed the trigger on. 

That passion is also what got me into doing these displays I do, making those memories.
https://www.facebook.com/FanaticTurkeyDisplays

MK M GOBL

Which Gun

Being able to talk to the birds. It's the calling getting him to gobble having him come looking for me. Hunting fields so you can watch his reactions.

Tail Feathers

I practice my calling against some CD's of real turkeys every year.  I scout my home turf as much as I can, going out just before the opener for a couple of mornings to see where they wake up and I dutifully check my guns site-in every year.
I think it's combination of preparations and experience. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

GobbleNut

These are great questions as to why each of us has developed such a passion for turkey hunting.  As my screen name here implies, for me it is all about the gobble,...and more specifically, it is all about interacting with the creature that makes the gobble.

Having hunted spring gobblers for close to six decades now, I have gone through a number of phases:
The first was to just learn how to hunt them, which was accomplished mostly on my own through experimentation and quite honestly, took a number of years.
The second phase was honing the various skills involved in the hunt once I had figured out the basics. 
The third was convincing myself that I could apply those learned skills successfully on my home turf and be consistently successful. 
The next phase was to travel to places with different subspecies and conditions to see if the same skill set I had developed locally would apply in those new locales.
More recently, I have gotten to a point where I want to challenge myself by hunting places I have never set foot in to see if I am capable of finding gobblers there, and then be successful in calling and harvesting one of them.  In doing that, it is more about the process than it is about the end result.
The prerequisite for all of the above for me is that the turkeys I hunt must be willing to gobble as part of the deal.  Without that, as I have stated many times in the past, they can just stay in the woods as far as I am concerned.   :toothy9: