turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lbxr fail,

Started by justin.arps, February 20, 2022, 01:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justin.arps

This blows my mind I've shot the same load,gun,choke for several seasons with great luck. I had several boxes of ammo that were older like 2015-2016 range the new boxes are from last year same load very different results.

All shots are at 40 yds same temp,gun and choke 3in lbxr#6 just different lot numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2eagles

I don't see a target where the turkey is going to live.

Kylongspur88

So I posted last year in the lead shooters forum that I'd switched back to my old shell mid season. I didn't really elaborate but I'm convinced the lbx #5 shells cost me a bird last year and I just don't trust them anymore. Long story short I'd spent over an hour working a good bird down one hill and up another to within 25 yards. First shot at 25 was a complete miss. I was shocked. The bird just stood there looking as he had no idea what happened. Racked another shell and fired same poa and the bird stumbled didn't go down but obviously hit and was able to get turned around and glide off the hill down into the holler. I couldn't get a follow up before he glided down. I knew he was wounded. I tracked him for 20 minutes and bumped him to bench on the across another holler. I managed to get over there and planned to top the bench and get a follow-up shot but by the time I got over there he moved to the end of the bench and glided off to the valley below. He was gone but given he was wounded I knew he'd die within a day or two.

First time in over 20 years of wounded a bird. Went back to a buddies house and checked the pattern at 30. First shot looked like a slug shot slightly high and left. Second threw almost all the pattern low and right. Now I had patterned these same shells different box and they were awesome and I had no poa/poi issues. I patterned 4 shells and not one patterned close to the other.

I was sick to my stomach about that bird and quit for the season after I filled my other tag knowing the first bird was likely dead too. Went back to my old shell and the second bird I shot piled up at 33 yards and barely twitched. After that I just don't trust the long beard shells and if I don't trust it I can't hunt with it. I think I still have the box so I'll post the lot ## when I dig it up

justin.arps

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on February 20, 2022, 01:38:17 PM
So I posted last year in the lead shooters forum that I'd switched back to my old shell mid season. I didn't really elaborate but I'm convinced the lbx #5 shells cost me a bird last year and I just don't trust them anymore. Long story short I'd spent over an hour working a good bird down one hill and up another to within 25 yards. First shot at 25 was a complete miss. I was shocked. The bird just stood there looking as he had no idea what happened. Racked another shell and fired same poa and the bird stumbled didn't go down but obviously hit and was able to get turned around and glide off the hill down into the holler. I couldn't get a follow up before he glided down. I knew he was wounded. I tracked him for 20 minutes and bumped him to bench on the across another holler. I managed to get over there and planned to top the bench and get a follow-up shot but by the time I got over there he moved to the end of the bench and glided off to the valley below. He was gone but given he was wounded I knew he'd die within a day or two.

First time in over 20 years of wounded a bird. Went back to a buddies house and checked the pattern at 30. First shot looked like a slug shot slightly high and left. Second threw almost all the pattern low and right. Now I had patterned these same shells different box and they were awesome and I had no poa/poi issues. I patterned 4 shells and not one patterned close to the other.

I was sick to my stomach about that bird and quit for the season after I filled my other tag knowing the first bird was likely dead too. Went back to my old shell and the second bird I shot piled up at 33 yards and barely twitched. After that I just don't trust the long beard shells and if I don't trust it I can't hunt with it. I think I still have the box so I'll post the lot ## when I dig it up
I agree completely, all three patterns will kill A bird however they vary so much I have no faith in them now.

justin.arps

Quote from: 2eagles on February 20, 2022, 01:26:28 PM
I know man but it is A very vast difference in pattern

owlhoot

Quote from: justin.arps on February 20, 2022, 02:00:25 PM

Yes it is. Been discussed here a lot. 
You could try the regular Winchester super X loads , which are half the cost of LB and in this past week are all over wallymart and bass pro/Cabela's. Or the Federal Grandslam which have showed by some on here to be good shells.

justin.arps

Quote from: owlhoot on February 20, 2022, 02:55:12 PM

You could try the regular Winchester super X loads , which are half the cost of LB and in this past week are all over wallymart and bass pro/Cabela's. Or the Federal Grandslam which have showed by some on here to be good shells.

Already on the same page super x #4

owlhoot

Quote from: justin.arps on February 20, 2022, 03:10:43 PM

4's , how far was that?

Kylongspur88

Super x is a great shell. I personally like the Winn xx high velocity. 1300 fps in a 3 1/2 is a fun ride

justin.arps

Quote from: owlhoot on February 20, 2022, 03:17:04 PM

4's , how far was that?
That one was only 30yds

USMC0331

Unfortunately , some production ammo has been very inconsistent which is why so many have went to loading their own TSS. I would definitely try the Winchester XX.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

justin.arps

I'll be shooting with it more I ran out of targets

owlhoot

Quote from: justin.arps on February 20, 2022, 03:20:52 PM
Quote from: owlhoot on February 20, 2022, 03:17:04 PM

4's , how far was that?
That one was only 30yds

get around to it , try at 40.
4 shot versus 6 shot , no contest , half price $ GOOD TO GO

owlhoot

Quote from: USMC0331 on February 20, 2022, 03:23:12 PM
Unfortunately , some production ammo has been very inconsistent which is why so many have went to loading their own TSS. I would definitely try the Winchester XX.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Good point.
Winchester has their hands full probably melting down that Jolly Rancher candy resin to keep it consistently breaking at the right time.

sixbird

I had an issue last season. Discovered it via a wounded turkey.
What I found was one bad box out of about 12 or 13.
Sent them to Winchester and they DID replace them. They didn't reimburse me for my range trips or the one shell from each box that I had to expend to check each box.
From here on out, I'll pattern one shell from each box I buy to be sure they're up to expectation.
I know you shouldn't have to do that but they normally pattern so well that I can't abandon them altogether.