OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SA-20

Started by Hwd silvestris, February 18, 2022, 12:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hwd silvestris

Im getting tremendously bored and impatient waiting on turkey season to get here so my mind is wandering a bit.   I picked up a mossberg Sa-20 for my son a couple years back for $200.  It's not his turkey gun and is more of a duck/dove/squirrel gun.  Im toying with the idea of making it a backup turkey gun for us both. 

However,  it doesn't have sling mounts.  It should be against the freaking law to make a gun without sling mounts!! Is there a quick easy fix for this issue? I can't seem to find much on these Lil guns. Gunsmiths in my area seems to be backed up 12 to 15 weeks. I guess from all the whitetail goat hunter.  Not urgent but I'm impatient.

Never had a red type dot on a turkey gun.  Kinda wanna to try it.  It will need to be drilled and tapped by a gunsmith.  Not a huge issue but again impatient. 

Also thinking bout the mossy oak gun wrap. Anyone toyed with this?

Choke tube ideas?  Not sure what good aftermarket chokes if any are made for this oddball Lil gun.

Or should I scratch the ideas and buy a backup  camo gun already drilled and tapped that has a sling mount? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

I have the turkey model. Fortunately it does come with sling mounts. I also had it dipped and installed a swampfox sight on it. This will be my first spring hunting with it but so far I like it. I use a .565 carlsons unported choke and it will shoot killing patterns with both federal heviweights and tss at 40 yards. I haven't tried the longbeards yet so I don't know on those.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Tom007

I took my Sweet 16 last summer and converted it to a turkey gun. It has the same characteristics as your SA 20, no sling swivels, no camo, and it had no turkey choke. I did indeed put on the Mossy Oak Bottomland Gun skin camo. Real easy to install. A fellow member on this forum gave me the tip on using a hair dryer on the camo, it came out perfect. Just have to take your time. I ordered a Vero-Vellini slip on sling, works perfect, I take mine off when I sit anyway. It's real nice, easy to put on. I installed a Meadow Creek Rib Mount with a Burris FF3. Finally, I had Brilley make a .600 Turkey Choke for it, patterns Apex #7 fantastic. Hope this helps.
"Solo hunter"

Turkeyfever

I have the SA 20 turkey thug and it's one of my favorite turkey guns. I use a Carlson 575 non ported extended turkey tube. The gun shoots great hunting patterns ! I use Federal #9 TSS but have killed several with the old Federal HVW #7 with the gun. If I were shooting lead I would definitely try the longbeards as they pattern good also. I use a Swampfox kingslayer green circle dot on mine, great sight!

lunghit

Quote from: Tom007 on February 18, 2022, 06:20:27 AM
I took my Sweet 16 last summer and converted it to a turkey gun. It has the same characteristics as your SA 20, no sling swivels, no camo, and it had no turkey choke. I did indeed put on the Mossy Oak Bottomland Gun skin camo. Real easy to install. A fellow member on this forum gave me the tip on using a hair dryer on the camo, it came out perfect. Just have to take your time. I ordered a Vero-Vellini slip on sling, works perfect, I take mine off when I sit anyway. It's real nice, easy to put on. I installed a Meadow Creek Rib Mount with a Burris FF3. Finally, I had Brilley make a .600 Turkey Choke for it, patterns Apex #7 fantastic. Hope this helps.

Great looking gun Tom. Good luck with it.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Tom007

Quote from: lunghit on February 18, 2022, 06:41:52 AM
Quote from: Tom007 on February 18, 2022, 06:20:27 AM

Great looking gun Tom. Good luck with it.

Thx, will try it out this season....be well, good luck to you....
"Solo hunter"

Spring Creek Calls

GrovTec makes a barrel band kit that comes with the stock stud and barrel band. I have one on my SA-28.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

captpete

Several years ago I bought my wife a SA-20 Bantam. I had it drilled/ tapped, LOP shortened, and swivel sling studs installed. From what I remember the gunsmith drilled out the barrel cap to install the front swivel. It is basically a nut & bolt that holds the swivel on. I don't know how the rear one is installed. I'm not sure if it is a nut & bolt type deal or if it screws into the plastic stock like it would on a wooden stock. I made a home-made comb riser out of pool noodle foam and covered it with vet wrap. It's the stuff that sticks to itself, but doesn't have glue....you can find it any farm supply store and it comes in a lot of different colors.

My wife is a inexperienced shooter/hunter so I wanted to make sure she had a fairly open pattern for close shots(15-20yards), but still had a good pattern out farther. I tried several choke/shell combinations and settled on an Environmental Hevi-13 choke tube(.573 ported) and Longbeard 6's. I tried a Carlson .575 non-ported tube and it shot a very similar pattern to the Hevi-13 tube. The Hevi-13 was just a little more even. At 15 yards it shoots a about a softball sized pattern. At 35 it is still a solid killing pattern, but at 40 it starting to get thin. It would still probably kill a bird, but it is thin. My wife's max comfort range is 30-35 yards, so it works good for her.

I have used the Mossy Oak vinyl wraps on several guns and they work great. They are pretty easy to apply...just remember PATIENTS (and a hair dryer)is your best friend. Take your time and you will have a gun the looks as if it was dipped. The first gun I did I ended up with a few wrinkles. If I didn't show them to you wouldn't see them unless you really looked close. The ONLY thing I don't like about them is they make the gun feel kind of slippery when wearing certain types of gloves...especially jersey type gloves. With that said, my early 2000's factory dipped 870 SPM feels the same way with jersey type gloves.

Resized_20220218_073006 by K Pete, on Flickr

Resized_20220218_072900 by K Pete, on Flickr

Resized_20220218_072916 by K Pete, on Flickr

Tom007

Quote from: captpete on February 18, 2022, 09:21:00 AM
Several years ago I bought my wife a SA-20 Bantam. I had it drilled/ tapped, LOP shortened, and swivel sling studs installed. From what I remember the gunsmith drilled out the barrel cap to install the front swivel. It is basically a nut & bolt that holds the swivel on. I don't know how the rear one is installed. I'm not sure if it is a nut & bolt type deal or if it screws into the plastic stock like it would on a wooden stock. I made a home-made comb riser out of pool noodle foam and covered it with vet wrap. It's the stuff that sticks to itself, but doesn't have glue....you can find it any farm supply store and it comes in a lot of different colors.

My wife is a inexperienced shooter/hunter so I wanted to make sure she had a fairly open pattern for close shots(15-20yards), but still had a good pattern out farther. I tried several choke/shell combinations and settled on an Environmental Hevi-13 choke tube(.573 ported) and Longbeard 6's. I tried a Carlson .575 non-ported tube and it shot a very similar pattern to the Hevi-13 tube. The Hevi-13 was just a little more even. At 15 yards it shoots a about a softball sized pattern. At 35 it is still a solid killing pattern, but at 40 it starting to get thin. It would still probably kill a bird, but it is thin. My wife's max comfort range is 30-35 yards, so it works good for her.

I have used the Mossy Oak vinyl wraps on several guns and they work great. They are pretty easy to apply...just remember PATIENTS (and a hair dryer)is your best friend. Take your time and you will have a gun the looks as if it was dipped. The first gun I did I ended up with a few wrinkles. If I didn't show them to you wouldn't see them unless you really looked close. The ONLY thing I don't like about them is they make the gun feel kind of slippery when wearing certain types of gloves...especially jersey type gloves. With that said, my early 2000's factory dipped 870 SPM feels the same way with jersey type gloves.

Resized_20220218_073006 by K Pete, on Flickr

Resized_20220218_072900 by K Pete, on Flickr

Resized_20220218_072916 by K Pete, on Flickr

You gave the best advice on that Gun skin, thanks. The hair dryer and patience is it.....you Gun looks great....
"Solo hunter"

Paulmyr

I have 2 guns that I'm going to do a DIY camo dip on. I was able to purchase Original bottomlands camo film , base coat, and film activator for about $100. Just need to purchase good primer for metal and plastic.

The film comes in a roll. The smallest I could purchase was about 3.5' x 10'. I have plenty of film to do multiple guns with plenty left over for practice dips on misc objects. I'll be starting the bead blasting beginning of next week. 1st gun in the ringer will be an 1187 whose finish has been thoroughly abused followed by a new stoeger 3020. I'll take pics and post my progress when I get started.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Dtrkyman

We used to drill out magazine caps all the time and install swivel post, uncle mike's has a kit with front and back swivel stud, had a special drill bit for the stock.

Great turkey gun, I shoot handloads with the factory turkey tube and an Indian creek .555, both do well!

Also did my barrel and receiver in the mossy oak camo skins.

Tom007

Quote from: Paulmyr on February 18, 2022, 09:43:07 AM
I have 2 guns that I'm going to do a DIY camo dip on. I was able to purchase Original bottomlands camo film , base coat, and film activator for about $100. Just need to purchase good primer for metal and plastic.

The film comes in a roll. The smallest I could purchase was about 3.5' x 10'. I have plenty of film to do multiple guns with plenty left over for practice dips on misc objects. I'll be starting the bead blasting beginning of next week. 1st gun in the ringer will be an 1187 whose finish has been thoroughly abused followed by a new stoeger 3020. I'll take pics and post my progress when I get started.

Can't wait to see the finish product.....
"Solo hunter"

fountain2

With my sa-28, I drilled into the forearm and used JB weld to put a stud in for a sling.  I got impatient and wanted to use it right then.   It may fall out one day, and if it does I'll just JB weld over it and sand it down and then drill and put one in the end cap

Bern_pine

I've got the same gun and just used the swivel less sling for turkey, actually killed my first bird with it. I worried it would get in the way of the bead but I never seemed to notice it when the time came to squeeze the trigger. I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Just get familiar with shooting with it and you'll do fine.