turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help with antique box call.

Started by Goblen, February 16, 2022, 07:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goblen

Please help identify this box call for me. And maybe help finding someone to attach the lid. Thanks

Yoder409

As far as the maker goes.......... No idea.  Looks to be one somebody carved at home.  Pretty nicely done, really.  It has what I call the "Arkansas look" too it.  I can't explain why........just a lot of old calls out of Arkansas remind me of yours.

Attaching the lid should be as simple as going to the Hillman Specialty Fastener section at Lowe's and looking through drawers to find a screw that'll work (looks like it's gonna need a pretty wide head or a small washer) and a spring.

Cool caller !!!!

I'm sure there's others that are way more knowledgeable on this than me. 

I'll send your pics to a buddy of mine who is a pretty serious collector and historian.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Greg Massey

Looks the hole in the call was used to hold a striker of some kind ... i agree looks to be some kind of a hand made call for sure ...

Yoder409

So, I messaged my buddy and here's what he said...........

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

On a sad aside.......... The world lost TWO wealths of collector call information in the past 2 weeks..........

Tony Gallo and Richard Morris

:(
PA elitist since 1979

Yoder409

What other info do you have about this call ??

Where did you find it ??  Like.........what area of what state ??
PA elitist since 1979

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 16, 2022, 11:26:39 AM
Looks the hole in the call was used to hold a striker of some kind ... i agree looks to be some kind of a hand made call for sure ...
I'd guess that hole was meant to hold chalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 16, 2022, 03:30:27 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on February 16, 2022, 11:26:39 AM
I'd guess that hole was meant to hold chalk.

You thinking like for a piece of the chalk board chalk .. very possible ...

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 16, 2022, 04:28:32 PM
You thinking like for a piece of the chalk board chalk .. very possible ...
That was my thought but that's just a wild guess.

Goblen

Thanks everyone. My Step father passed away and had this call. When I was a youngster he showed it to me and told me the story. All I remember is that he got it from when he lived on his father's ranch in Okeechobee Fl. He grew up in Orangeburg SC. Moved to Florida at age 12 or so.They did take lots of hunters out on the ranch to turkey hunt from all over the country. I susspose one of the hunters could have given it to him. I hope to get down there to hunt one day.

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

Goblen

A picture from Griffith Ranch Okeechobee Fl. early to mid 70's I think.