turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Short box, long box or both

Started by Bringintheh2o, February 13, 2022, 11:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bringintheh2o

I have 5 two sided short boxes and 4 single sided box calls. I am trying to decide if I need a long box. Maybe I should have thought about this 9 calls ago. Do I really need a long box?

Greg Massey

Quote from: Bringintheh2o on February 13, 2022, 11:08:10 AM
I have 5 two sided short boxes and 4 single sided box calls. I am trying to decide if I need a long box. Maybe I should have thought about this 9 calls ago. Do I really need a long box?
I've got over hundred, so one our 2 more want hurt you .. :TooFunny: 

tal

Yoder409

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 13, 2022, 12:19:45 PM
I've got over hundred, so one our 2 more want hurt you .. :TooFunny:

Spoken like a sage.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Yes.

Yes you DO need a long box.

At 9 box calls, you seem like you're starting to catch it.......the box call sickness, that is.  But you're nowhere near terminal, yet.   :toothy12:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

aclawrence

I've got four short boxes and one long box. I kind of like my long box the best. I see a lot of hard core long box guys. The sentiment seems to be they can do anything once you get good with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Augusta

I prefer a long box when hunting. 
Kee kee's
Loud locating cutting.
Multiple hens
Gobbler / jake yelps
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

310 gauge

Paddle can definitely earn it's keep in the field!

paboxcall

Quote from: West Augusta on February 13, 2022, 07:36:36 PM
I prefer a long box when hunting. 
Kee kee's
Loud locating cutting.
Multiple hens
Gobbler / jake yelps

:agreed:
Never leave home without one. And I'd add to Steve's list of long box calls above:

soft, content calls
gobble
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Zobo

You definitely need a long box if you're serious about learning all about box calls and what they can do, their capabilities in the field. A short box and a one-sider are similar in most ways but a long box is a different animal. And speaking of different animals, you might just need a hen box too  :cowboy:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Bringintheh2o

Well it sounds like I need a long box. Any recommendations from whom I can pick one up in a reasonable timeframe, hopefully before April 18th?

culpeper

If you go to Nashville later this week you can pick up a good LB from Jeff McKamey's booth. There also might be a builder who can have one ready for in short time.  For me, it's impossible to go to the turkey woos without a SB AND a LB

paboxcall

Watch the classified sections. Seems quality long boxes pop up ever few days or so, and the listings don't last long.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Bowguy

It's a better call imo. It can do lots more. I'd sell the others if I had to go get some long boxes.

Bringintheh2o

I have one on order from Jeff White and am watching a couple on the NWTF call auction. Thanks for all of the responses.