OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Coyote

Started by tomno3, February 11, 2022, 09:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomno3

How large is the threat of Coyote on Turkey populations vs other Predator types? Seems like the Turkeys are either gone or hiding very well and Coyotes are everywhere. It didn't appear to be like this a few years ago.

guesswho

Coyotes are low on the list.   That being said they still get a their share and I kill everyone I get a chance too.   There are just more efficient turkey decliners out there.   Example a your may get ine in a hunt, a coon may take out a whole nest.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ddturkeyhunter

Coyotes are a big problem, I have done a lot of trapping. And when asked this same question on coyotes on the pheasent population my answer would be Yes they definitely are. A coyote is a large animal and when they are real hungry they will hunt Day and night. The more hours spent trying the chances of success is greater. But depending on the area you are in there are a lot of other critters that I feel are just as bad or worse. Crows, skunks, possums are just a few of the critters that can destroy a entire nest having a big impact.

Yotecatcher

Yes coyotes are a problem to our population but any predator out there is.I trap alot of them here and i think it helps with my population some but it is a constant battle.Bobcats is another one that is high on the list in my opinion along with the gray fox.

rifleman

We have all of the critters mentioned by ddturkeyhunter.  Our turkey "haydays" occurred back in the days when hides were worth hunting.  Coon hunters kept the coons and possums to a low level and I suspect saved some turkeys and nests.  I have only seen 3 coyotes and 2 bobcats during daylight hours.  I have manged to call in a couple foxes and 1 bobcat with my turkey calling so I suspect that they must be problems at any hour of the day.

ChesterCopperpot

I'd bet crows do as much damage as coyotes. All the nest raiders are hell on turkeys, though. Then throw hawks and owls and bobcats on the poults and truth is it's just hard being a turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowboy

Any of the furbearers pose a problem for turks. Hawks, owls and crows as well. I believe your nest predators cause the biggest threat though. However, coyotes are opportunistic hunters. If they can catch it they will eat it. We had one several years ago, spot our hen decoy and came on a dead run. He got a nice load of copper plated shot for his effort.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ferocious calls

Once a group of coyotes LEARNS how to hunt turkey, the turkeys are in trouble. Also seems coyotes are more successful in more hilly country. The turkeys need more trappers.

1 day of trapping can save a substantial amount of wildlife. 49 traps 1st check

guesswho

Well done!    Tip of the hat to you :icon_thumright:
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

squidd

You have the trapping part nailed down - kudos!!!!!

Hook hanger

Coyotes get thier share of them, but there are more efficient predators in the turkey world. Bobcats, owls, red tail hawks,  and coons all rank higher on the list in my opinion.

owlhoot

bobk

Yoder409

ATTA BOY, Kip !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

There's a lot of saved turkeys laying on that floor, right there !!!!   Yep.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

ferocious calls

How can we recruit more trappers to save more turkeys? Fur prices wax and wayne, but predator populations remain high. I will give the instruction free to anyone wanting to trap for the good of the birds and deer.

Are you willing to give the birds your money and time?