OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Options other than vest?

Started by Kygobblergetter, February 10, 2022, 01:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kygobblergetter

I've seen a lot of the other options but really just enjoy seeing other peoples set ups. I use a run n gun 300 and like it pretty well. I carry 1 slate call 2 strikers 3 mouth calls and a gobble call. The rest is shells flashlights and a couple locator calls (owl and crow) I don't really need a vest but I carry it mostly for the seat cushion. Hoping someone can show me something that will make me change this up as I really don't need a vest. Especially interested in other seat options but I'm not going to carry around a chair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

I run a backpack with an HS Strut chest rig run to the bino points on the shoulder straps, an HS Strut seat attached to the belt and tucked into back when not in use. There's some photos of that setup here. It's just what works for me.

Turkey vest alternative
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=17578&share_tid=100762&url=http%3A%2F%2Foldgobbler%2Ecom%2FForum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D100762&share_type=t&link_source=app

GobbleNut

I have tried vests and sachels and about everything in between. I'll start out the season with some new gadget that I bought, but by the end of the season I am always back to using a backpack-style daypack for my secondary gear needs (food, water, extra clothing and accessories, emergency kit, etc.) and carrying calls and quickly-needed stuff in the pockets of my cargo pants, shirt, and jacket. 

Here's a quick DIY hint for those that might want to try it:  I cut the cargo pocket (including the pant-leg part under it) off of old cargo pants and sew that pocket onto my new pants.  Doing that adds the cargo pocket plus another pocket that is created when you sew it to the new pants.  For those that don't want to carry extra baggage in the form of a vest or pack, this is an easy way to add storage space on your pants. I have found it to be quite handy....might be worth a try if you have old cargo pants that you will be discarding anyway. 

RED NECK

The last few years when I was not wearing a vest, I used a Shocker Cut-N-Run pack and thought it was ok,mine is covered in blood, I have switched to carrying a chair on most my hunts the last few years, and if I dont, I just use a seat from a vest and use a carabiner to attach it to my belt, I also tried a sling pack from banded and like it but I'll use it for floods while duck hunting.

I was thinking of going with a chest pack/harness style this year to try but I ended up ordering a Glenda standard satchel, I also was waiting on the new sling packs from alps to become available on amazon.ca, I will buy one when they do.

I was hesitant to go back and use a satchel/murse etc but at the same time, I can just leave it in the vehicle and take less if I choose and I have tested and tried a lot of vests and I like the idea of less clothing. I do like the sling packs and like the way you can adjust the ones I have, or have tried. I also have a few that I purchased from amazon that are "no name" molle built, I ended up sewing some of my og patches on them and I just use them to store calls at home.

If I was walking 4-5 miles a day, I think I would stick with my rng 300. I have seen some pretty slick ideas the last few days on the forum about different setups, I love it. I find it to be one of my favorite hobbies during the winter months after bow hunting, trying to come up with a perfect setup for the spring.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

richard black

Cabelas is once again offering their Speed Seat Half Vest. Has a great seat that moves into position effortlessly and plenty of storage for necessities without the hassle of a full vest. I know I like mine.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on February 10, 2022, 03:54:38 PM
I find it to be one of my favorite hobbies during the winter months after bow hunting, trying to come up with a perfect setup for the spring.
That perfect set up is like the holy grail, many have spent years searching and no one has found it yet.  Good luck trying, it's half the fun of pre-season! :fud:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

bigriverbum

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 10, 2022, 02:27:41 PM
I run a backpack with an HS Strut chest rig run to the bino points on the shoulder straps, an HS Strut seat attached to the belt and tucked into back when not in use. There's some photos of that setup here. It's just what works for me.

Turkey vest alternative
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=17578&share_tid=100762&url=http%3A%2F%2Foldgobbler%2Ecom%2FForum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D100762&share_type=t&link_source=app

nice setup. but isn't it really just a 3 piece "vest"?   ;)

i can see the benefit of dropping the backpack off and still having your seat attached to you. where i live the public land tracts just aren't big enough to necessitate needing to fill a backpack though

bigriverbum

i use the rng 300 quite a bit. usually used if i figure i'm going to be in one spot for a while. the back pack is nice for a snack and a camelbak.

last year my most used set up was an ol' tom shirt with a pot call, a crow/hooter, a few mouth calls, a wing bone around my neck, shotgun slung over one shoulder, turkey chair over the other

the best set up is when you hear a bird from the truck and have the confidence to venture forth with just a mouth call and your gun

Bottomland

I run two things which I found works best for me.  Both are from a brand called Marsupial Gear.  One is a bino harness with extra storage and also I use the belt system from them also.  The belt system is completely customizable with different pouches and accessories.  It can also be used for deer, dove, rabbit, squirrel etc... If you buy all the accessories you can do anything with it all season long.

If I use both together I have plenty of storage for a all day hunt if needed.  Perfect for hunting when covering ground on public land.  All their stuff is made in the USA also.  Good people to do business with.

For a seat I purchased some camo fabric and sewed me a pouch which I put a wheel barrow inner tube in.  The pouch has a shoulder strap also so just throw over my shoulder.  Don't have a pic with me but and can send one if your interested.

Website below:
https://www.marsupialgear.com/

Jmillwood21

I'm using the marsupial setup I rigged together this season.  Used the 300 last season. Gonna give this a go.  May use a Fanny pack also.

Jmillwood21

As far as a seat goes I have a thermarest fold up seat stuffed in the water bladder.

Tom007

Quote from: richard black on February 10, 2022, 09:53:55 PM
Cabelas is once again offering their Speed Seat Half Vest. Has a great seat that moves into position effortlessly and plenty of storage for necessities without the hassle of a full vest. I know I like mine.

I love the 1/2 vest speed seat too. The only thing I added was a box call holder(for my push pin) and extra pot call holder. I also added suspenders. When it gets warmer, this is my set-up. Works fantastic...
"Solo hunter"

Jordan121787

Lol I feel like some of y'all are adding so much that you pretty much have a vest. I like the looks of the outdoor vision turkey pro if I was going minimal.

GobbleNut

Some really nice-looking set-ups there, guys.  Some of you minimalists quite obviously are not hunting places where it is likely to be 20 degrees out an hour before daylight and get up to 70 degrees by mid-day.  If you are, I would like to know where you stuff all the clothes you need to put on and take off under those conditions?...    :D

Tail Feathers

I'm with Gobblenut.  I don't often need a jacket here at home but if I have one it will be removed during the morning.  Carrying that, the water and some snacks...I just can't make it work well with less than a vest.  I don't carry a lot of calls, usually a couple of pots and a few strikers but the snippers for brush, the thermacell and a couple of extra shells need to go somewhere.  After 36 years of wearing a heavy gunbelt, a waist pack isn't the answer.  I find a strap vest isn't so terribly hot that I can't deal with it given the convenience it offers.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!