turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Buffalo Whistle

Started by Old Gobbler, June 05, 2011, 09:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

Guys , I just wanted to share with you some nice little calls I picked up in South Dakota while turkey hunting in the Black Hills

There is as always tourist or trinket shops selling " authentic " folk art , well I didn't buy that but after trying these I bought a supply , me and my rancher buddies were just huffing away on these in the main street and people were just walking by and starring what the heck are they doing? well all of us ran back in and grabbed up a few more - anyone who has fall turkey hunting knows exactly what a Kee-Kee is supposed to sound like  

They are made of  Water Buffalo horn, the original source is most likely the Far East  -They have 2 whistles to each call , they make for a  young of the season Kee-Kee call . With near zero practice required you can adjust the pitch with air volume- you can see the cork ball showing in the picture , If you adjust your airflow you will never get those to roll or they can be pulled out

They sound pretty good  

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

doepee

Those look very nice. I always wanted a kee kee whistlle... Should of thought of all your Old Gobbler buddies   :toothy12: :z-guntootsmiley:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Those are so cool.  Thanks for sharing Shannon. 

neal

Should've bought them all up and resold them on here!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

NCBigShot

Quote from: neal on June 09, 2011, 10:43:10 AM
Should've bought them all up and resold them on here!

...I want one! :z-guntootsmiley:
When the Dogwood is white, the time is right...

Old Gobbler

They were $3 a piece - I should make a youtube soundfile of it , it's a good 3-4 month old turkey Kee - it made my buddies do a double take as soon as they heard me with it -

It would be fair of me to say that they are handmade and not all of them are going to sound exactly the same from one to the other - I use whistles like that  for waterfowl hunting so it comes easy  ,others may not get the same results    

I see  ones on that look kinda  like it on ebay for $5  -  that might be your guys best bet - buy at your own risk - 
http://cgi.ebay.com/Buffalo-Horn-CARVED-WHISTLE-2-Side-Leather-Necklace-/370509615169?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5644181041#ht_1302wt_902

-Shannon

NCBigShot

Shannon-- Those look just like the examples you show in your post... I bought one.. Heck, for $7.62, it's worth the gamble!
Thanks for the heads up, buddy! :thanks:

...I'll let you know how it sounds when I get it..

NCBigShot

Shannon--
Mine just showed up yesterday... It's exactly like the ones in your picture.

..They're bigger than I expected... And you're right.. They can make a decent kee-kee whistle! :icon_thumright:
..Thanks for the lead!... I suggest anyone looking for a cheap kee-kee call go to that eBay auction and pick one up.

ElkTurkMan

Those are awesome.  Thanks for posting Shannon.

Old Gobbler

Ken ,  yours looks to have the image of a crow in the horn pattern - pretty cool

-Shannon