OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looks vs sound

Started by packmule, February 09, 2022, 09:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

callmakerman

I'll say # 1 75  #2 0 # 3 25.  Sound is everything.  Looks will never kill a turkey. The wood was my deceased neighbor's wood stash, and the call was made as a tribute to him and all he helped me with. Yes, there's turkey blood on this call.

Crghss

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

crow

Sound 100%

If my wife made me a call from the broom we jumped over when we got married,
I might carry it.

But only on her birthday

Greg Massey

Quote from: crow on February 09, 2022, 09:24:48 PM
Sound 100%

If my wife made me a call from the broom we jumped over when we got married,
I might carry it.

But only on her birthday
Glad to know you still have the broom...  :TooFunny:

crow

mspaci

dont care what it looks like as long as it sounds goood

letinmfly

Captain of the former Gobble Kings

AppalachianHollers

Are there ugly box calls? I haven't come across one that made me scowl yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwhana

I say 100% sound, but only because the makers on here are true craftsmen, and it is expected for their calls to look great, and having a story behind them is assumed, but not under appreciated.  Kind of like getting chocolate cake with double icing and some ice cream on top, when the cake alone was spectacular by itself.

Yoder409

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on February 10, 2022, 04:34:05 PM
Are there ugly box calls? I haven't come across one that made me scowl yet.

There are.    ;D

BUT......... Just like somebody already mentioned........sometimes the ugliest girls make the very best wives.   :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Chris O

It should be all about sound but I want something that pleases my eyes as well.I probably won't use it as much if it doesn't catch my eye somewhat. I am probably 70%,25%,and 5%. Luckily I like almost all my calls so I hunt many different ones throughout a year.

Zobo

Looks and sentimentality matter more to me the older I get. If I'm successful with a particular box and it contributes to a special time afield, a memory that sticks in my mind and heart, than that thing tends to find more time in my vest. It becomes more beautiful to me because it's more meaningful. I would say all of my boxes can draw in a gobbler, most of them have. As most of you know, in the right hands, at the right moment, most quality box calls are highly effective, so for me it's 50/50 sound/sentimentality(beauty)
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Gobbler428

Only calls that have proven themselves capable of bringing longbeards to the gun are going to the woods with me on a regular basis. I admire looks and craftmanship in a call but if it won't call "old tom" then leave it at home in the cabinet to admire and play with on rainy days. I want a call in the woods with me that works and I have confidence in and I really don't care who made it, who gave it to me or how long I've had it, how much I paid for it or how I think it sounds. How "old tom" thinks it sounds is all that matters.

PECO2

99% sound, the turkey doesn't care what it looks like, neither do I. 
I will give 1% sentimental value at this time, that is subject to increase upon future circumstances. 

Hoot 000

Don't believe I ever kill one because of the looks of the call, hundred percent sound.