turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ron Lee?

Started by Jmloch, February 08, 2022, 01:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmloch

I have recently received an old trough call. I just noticed that it is signed by someone named Ron Lee and has a company name stamped on it out of Coffeeville, Al. I'm trying to figure out some history on this person and these calls. Anyone here have any info on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmloch

It may be Ben Lee.

boatpaddle

Ben Lee was from Coffeyville, Al.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Upfold99

Quote from: boatpaddle on February 08, 2022, 01:15:18 PM
Ben Lee was from Coffeyville, Al.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jmloch

Well, in a Kevin Bacon sense, I have some connection to Ben Lee through family and former coworkers.

idratherb

Yoder409

What you have there is a Ben Lee Super Hen.  It appears to be the aluminum playing surface model.  It appears to have been signed by ben himself due to the ballpoint pen.  It also appears to have been used and abused.  It is likely pretty fragile at this point and not very usable.  It IS, however, a very nice and collectible piece of turkey hunting history.  Valuable monetarily ??  Not so much in its current condition.  But NO WAY trash can material.  Definitely a GREAT display item.

Ben Lee was THE "father" of modern turkey hunting.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/content/articles/deer-news/remembering-ben-lee-genuine-turkey-hunting-icon

There is a great chapter on Ben in Jim Casada's book, "Remembering the Greats".
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Jmloch

[mention]Yoder409 [/mention] thanks for the info. It's funny you say not garbage can material because that's where I got it out of. Was being thrown away with another hand made box call

strum

First gobbler I ever killed I used one of those.  Mine has the slate. Just a good ole call.  Yours is most certainly a neat piece of history.

Yoder409

Quote from: Jmloch on February 08, 2022, 04:40:26 PM
[mention]Yoder409 [/mention] thanks for the info. It's funny you say not garbage can material because that's where I got it out of. Was being thrown away with another hand made box call

A man should NEVER be too proud so as to not dumpster dive for the right reason.    :icon_thumright:

Interested to see a pic of the handmade box, as well.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Jmloch

larry9988

Ben Lee was a character and a turkey killing machine. I must make one correction, he was not from Coffeeville Alabama,..... he was from Coffeeville Alabamer.

Hoot 000

I've had a couple of those calls, when they are in good shape they are turkey killers. I believe Ben was born in Starkville Mississippi and move to Coffeyville when he was a young boy and was raised there.At one time he worked in paper mill in Jackson Alabama,I think his son still  does. You have a piece of history I would keep it .It was told he came up with that design from a call that Raymond Chisholm made,  he was from Laurel Mississippi.

Yoder409

A lot of Gibson influence in that home made box.   Very neat piece !!!

How's it sound ??
PA elitist since 1979

Jmloch

It sounds good. It has a soft tone to it.