OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Quality and Performance vs. Cost

Started by Hoot 000, February 03, 2022, 12:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverBuck

I've never made a call in my life but follow a bunch of call makers and usually buy several unique calls every year. What I do hear from guys who make them is they are never exactly sure how they will sound until complete and they run them... Makes sense to me.

With that said, I tend to buy calls that have sound files from the maker. I just picked up a glass over carbon fiber that I can't wait to use this spring. It sort of sounds like a titanium over slate that I've killed a bunch of bird with.

Back to my sound file point, I can't help but think of some of the calls for sale in the classifieds being ones that don't pass the test of going for long walks in the turkey vest winners. I sure have bought a bunch of those over the years.

ferocious calls

I like to make a premium beautiful call that sounds like the best you have played, inexpensively. If you hold the opinion that somehow a sawn and glued call is inferior to the other. The turkeys don't think so. Like I always say, will put them up against ANY call. In the woods or out.

Yoder409

Quote from: ferocious calls on February 25, 2022, 09:42:11 PM
I like to make a premium beautiful call that sounds like the best you have played, inexpensively. If you hold the opinion that somehow a sawn and glued call is inferior to the other. The turkeys don't think so. Like I always say, will put them up against ANY call. In the woods or out.

^^^^^^^^

I've run (WAY) more than a few of Kip's box calls and I will personally vouch for this.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

EZ

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 25, 2022, 10:04:04 PM
Quote from: ferocious calls on February 25, 2022, 09:42:11 PM

^^^^^^^^

I've run (WAY) more than a few of Kip's box calls and I will personally vouch for this.

Oh yeah, it's TRUE!!!

Zobo

Sound files are ideal, but of course the player's skill plays a big part in what you're hearing. I too had my doubts with the classified but saw this Mckamey box one day and couldn't resist the price. I thought how bad could it possibly be right? It's the only call I've bought from OG but it's a straight-up killer. So it is possible.   
        However, I do much prefer to order a call directly from the maker. I don't mind the wait and the interaction with the maker makes the call special. It adds a layer of personal value to the call, a direct connection to it.
    Oh, and couldn't agree more with ferocious calls. Sawn and glued snobbery is nonsense for those who don't know better!

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

ol bob

When I made a call if it was $100. or $300 the internals were the same. All you were paying extra for was bling!!. You can paint a pigs toe nails red, and put pearls around his neck, but he's still a pig.

Spitten and drummen

It not the bow but the indian behind it. Some came pick up any pot and run it like its on fire , others cant. If you have a pot and can make it smoke , you may hand it to me and I make it sound good. Bottom line is wether its a 40 dollar call or 200 dollar call , it comes down to your confidence. Confidence in your particular calls is what kills birds. If you are confident in it , you will play it more and hunt it more. Law of average says the more you hunt it , the better the odds are you will kill birds with it.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE