turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Quality and Performance vs. Cost

Started by Hoot 000, February 03, 2022, 12:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoot 000

Hope I don't ruffle too many feathers, just over the last couple of years I have acquired quite a few turkey calls made by some well-known call makers. Some of the calls have quite a difference in price. As far as I can see higher price doesn't necessarily mean it is a better call,that's my opinion and I am I'm sticking to it.

packmule

I totally agree. High cost doesn't necessarily equate to ease of play and sound quality.  Many of my favorite hunting calls were purchased in the low to mid price range.

Greg Massey

All i will say it all depends on you and what your looking for in a call. Ever call builder has a different turkey in their head and build a call in that range with feed back from you if you want a higher pitch front/ less pitch and the same with rasp on the back end of the call. That's why it's up to you to find the call builders that you like to buy your calls from. I agree, if it's a good call that you like and say only cost 50 dollars, that's more than likely a call you will enjoy and play. Regardless of price I've never had a call builder who wouldn't work with me to put a call in my hands that will kill gobblers. If not they will tell you to return the call and they will make you another one or refund your money. I have never had a problem with top call builders and I've only returned 2 calls in all the calls I've ever bought. I want to give a LOT of credit to today's call builders and the service they provide we have a lot of them on this forum. People need to realize, they don't have to build you a call at all in most cases it a honor to our a call from a builder. I have calls in all kinds of price range that i enjoy hunting and playing. Now this is just my opinion and I'm sure others will add their on opinions. This post is not to ruffle feather either.

ChesterCopperpot

Most all collector level calls will kill turkeys. That said, lots of lower end calls that don't have any collector value and likely never will also kill plenty of turkeys. If the goal is simply to kill a turkey, a man certainly doesn't have to go broke doing that. If the enjoyment, though, comes in the collecting, you're going to spend money but that's money that will always be there and likely earn interest. Look at the Permar 1917 that's on eBay right now. It's at $615 with two days left. It's part of the second series. First 75 had no place for a lanyard, next 75 did, but it's one of those first 150 limited calls. I don't remember what he sold them for but it was no more than $300 apiece. That call's doubled in value. Make no mistake, it'll kill plenty of turkeys. But so will his $60 improved Jordans, and so will plenty of other yelpers that are well under $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Nice thread. Agreed with everything said above. I think price is not the only factor when it comes to calls. Yes, some of the most expensive calls seem to sound more turkey. To me, it's like wine, another passion for a lot of us. Expensive wines do tend to taste better, but there are 15-20 dollar bottles that will rival the likes of Opus One. With calls, everyone's ears hear them a bit differently. Same with wine, different pallets, different tastes and likes. Kudos to all the call builders out there who spend lots of hours to make small monies when you compare hours and materials spent versus dollars made. I know myself that I enjoy the collecting part as much as using them in the field. All calls, if used correctly in the right hands will kill the weariest Tom. I am willing to pay for beauty in a call, as long as it can talk turkey. Turkeys themselves have inconsistent, terrible vocabulary. Whether it's a cheap production call, or a rare custom one, it's all in the way it's used in the right situation. I'd be willing to bet that the mass produced Lynch Box call has killed more birds than the best custom box call out there. Calls are a big business in our sport, it caters to each and every one of us in it's own way. That's what makes it all fun....
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Quote from: Tom007 on February 03, 2022, 02:15:24 PM
Nice thread. Agreed with everything said above. I think price is not the only factor when it comes to calls. Yes, some of the most expensive calls seem to sound more turkey. To me, it's like wine, another passion for a lot of us. Expensive wines do tend to taste better, but there are 15-20 dollar bottles that will rival the likes of Opus One. With calls, everyone's ears hear them a bit differently. Same with wine, different pallets, different tastes and likes. Kudos to all the call builders out there who spend lots of hours to make small monies when you compare hours and materials spent versus dollars made. I know myself that I enjoy the collecting part as much as using them in the field. All calls, if used correctly in the right hands will kill the weariest Tom. I am willing to pay for beauty in a call, as long as it can talk turkey. Turkeys themselves have inconsistent, terrible vocabulary. Whether it's a cheap production call, or a rare custom one, it's all in the way it's used in the right situation. I'd be willing to bet that the mass produced Lynch Box call has killed more birds than the best custom box call out there. Calls are a big business in our sport, it caters to each and every one of us in it's own way. That's what makes it all fun....
AMEN TOM ... AWESOME POST

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 03, 2022, 02:38:18 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on February 03, 2022, 02:15:24 PM
AMEN TOM ... AWESOME POST

Thanks my friend...
"Solo hunter"

Hoot 000

Thank you for the comments . What I was thinking about was some of the custom calls I have where a fraction in price and as good and  sounded better to me someone else may have a different ear. I agree with  what has been said. Years ago before all the new forms of communication I didn't have this many choices because I didn't know all those call makers of that day existed. We have more choices now and some great call makers.

Zobo

I'm the type that really admires craftsmanship.  Custom turkey call making is such a great American tradition and collecting these calls is big part of my love for turkey hunting. I like most of my calls and many of the less expensive ones definitely sound on point.
   But truth be told, I rather hold the finer, more expensive custom calls.  I like to look at them and display them. This may sound petty and inconsequential to some, but I've realized through the years that I spend way more time fiddling with calls in my living room than I do in the field. I find it really enjoyable during the 11 months a year that I don't turkey hunt.
   Also, I do think the more expensive ones tend to "sound better" and run more consistently and are worth the expense. My wife however might have something different to say about
it  :)
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Meleagris gallopavo

I've always collected things.  I look at a lot of calls online and I keep up with who's doing what on here and on Facebook.  Matter of fact, I gave up Facebook at one point but got back on just to keep up with turkey calls.  I don't try everyone's calls and I gave a limit on what I'll spend on a call, but I buy a lot of nice calls from custom makers.  That being said, I have purchased a few $100+ pot calls that really caught my eye or were unique.  The aesthetics are important to me.  But in all honesty I can't say that the more expensive calls sound better.  I have 2 high dollar ones that are mediocre.  Calls being an investment is lost on me as I never sell anything, I just accumulate. 

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Tom007

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 04, 2022, 07:03:20 AM
I've always collected things.  I look at a lot of calls online and I keep up with who's doing what on here and on Facebook.  Matter of fact, I gave up Facebook at one point but got back on just to keep up with turkey calls.  I don't try everyone's calls and I gave a limit on what I'll spend on a call, but I buy a lot of nice calls from custom makers.  That being said, I have purchased a few $100+ pot calls that really caught my eye or were unique.  The aesthetics are important to me.  But in all honesty I can't say that the more expensive calls sound better.  I have 2 high dollar ones that are mediocre.  Calls being an investment is lost on me as I never sell anything, I just accumulate. 

[quote}

We are all in your boat on the accumulate part. Any hobby where one collects has some form of accumulation, it's part of it. The good part about our fraternity is we get to actually use what we collect, they are our hunting tools. We get the best of both worlds, not just putting them in a display case  and occasionally dusting them off. Amen...

"Solo hunter"

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Tom007 on February 04, 2022, 07:20:58 AM

We are all in your boat on the accumulate part. Any hobby where one collects has some form of accumulation, it's part of it. The good part about our fraternity is we get to actually use what we collect, they are our hunting tools. We get the best of both worlds, not just putting them in a display case  and occasionally dusting them off. Amen...

That's true.  I give all my calls some time in the woods. 

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

ChesterCopperpot

That being said, I have purchased a few $100+ pot calls that really caught my eye or were unique.  The aesthetics are important to me.  But in all honesty I can't say that the more expensive calls sound better.  I have 2 high dollar ones that are mediocre.
I think pot calls are probably the one where this holds most true, getting back to the original post. Seems like lots of no name people making really mediocre pots on Facebook and eBay selling pots for high prices based purely on aesthetics. A real pretty blank is a real pretty blank, and it's going to make a good looking call. They'll hit ~$75 on a pretty call all day. Don't mean it will sound good. Meanwhile I know a maker that's really well known that's still selling his slates for $40 and every one makes it out of the shop is a flat smoker. Trumpets I think people are less likely to spend $100-$150 on a no name when they know they can get one from an established maker in that price range. Same with boxes. Maybe it's because pots tend to be the cheaper call to buy, or maybe it's because pots are the call that most people make when they decide they're going to start making calls. I don't know. Just seems like it happens more with pots than anything else.

greencop01

I have long boxes, box calls, pot calls, and some calls I can only explain as the idea of the maker. I've killed turkeys with each type and I have to say my favorites are the calls that brought the Toms in. The ones the Toms fell in 'love' with. The Toms are the judges. My favorite is Al Hobart's super aluminum Corian pot, never fails to get the Tom in front and in range of my gun. Always gets the response you are looking for. That's my favorite, not a looker but a meat call. My :z-twocents: worth.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Yoder409

Quote from: Zobo on February 03, 2022, 11:07:47 PM

I'm the type that really admires craftsmanship.  Custom turkey call making is such a great American tradition and collecting these calls is big part of my love for turkey hunting. I like most of my calls and many of the less expensive ones definitely sound on point.
   But truth be told, I rather hold the finer, more expensive custom calls.  I like to look at them and display them. This may sound petty and inconsequential to some, but I've realized through the years that I spend way more time fiddling with calls in my living room than I do in the field. I find it really enjoyable during the 11 months a year that I don't turkey hunt.
   Also, I do think the more expensive ones tend to "sound better" and run more consistently and are worth the expense. My wife however might have something different to say about
it  :)

Pretty much, me too, in a nutshell. Except my wife realizes if I croak first, she's gonna love the auction.   ;D

I'm "one of those guys"............. I have more box calls than I should admit to having.  I only hunt a very, VERY few of them.  Partly because I only hunt so many days a year and there's just no time to hunt, even, a fraction of them.  Partly because some of them are truly investment calls and they won't leave the house.  Partly because I'll get to liking on one in particular and will hunt JUST it all year..............or all year for several years.

I'm not opposed to paying the top names top money for their craft.  I've to get a bad one.  But I've gotten some that were a lot better than others.  But, face it......there are some names that are certain to appreciate as investments as the years go by.

I started a thread here a week or so back about the best sounding box calls I ever heard.  I need to revisit and add to that.  I can say with CERTAINTY that the most expensive call in my accumulation is NOT the best sounding one.  And there's probably a couple sackfuls of ones that (to me) sound better and cost several multiples of 10 less than that call.  There's a couple calls I could truthfully post that would be hard-pressed to see $20 on eBay. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.