OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Breaking Strikers

Started by RLAG, February 02, 2022, 08:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLAG

I personally have not used pot calls much in the past but have read where loosing strikers is a fairly common issue. How common is it to break a striker due to a fall or say belly crawling and accidentally laying on them?

Would there be any interest in a hard case with slots for strikers instead of a roll up pouch? After looking around, I have yet to find a hard case for strikers, only soft cases and that surprised me a bit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

spurs2bgobblin

I stick them in top of my boot, never lost or broke one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"In the South it's an understanding. To a turkey hunter, it's a life not subject to change. They know it's crazy. But to them, to us, it's worth it."

Meleagris gallopavo

Never broke one or heard of someone breaking one.  My thought is that if you hit something hard enough to break a striker you either did it intentionally or you'll be hurt badly enough that the broken striker will be the least of your worries.  I have some of the Glenda Green striker holders just so they don't get scratched up and I put that in my Glenda Green minimalist satchel.  If I'm in the heat of things I may put it in my shirt pocket to take a shot.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Greg Massey

Agree, I've never broke a striker if i did, i would be very disappointed in myself .. LOL...  As the old saying goes you want break too many 25 - 100 dollar strikers but once.. LOL.  Just get you a good striker roll up from Glenda Green ..

JLH

I could see it possibly happening with a cedar.

Ain't no way you're going to break most of those exotics!

Happy

I am rough on things but I can honestly say I have never broken a striker. I have lost a pile of them though. Nowadays the one or two strikers I carry are stuffed in the top of my snake boots or tethered to my vest on a lanyard.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

RLAG

Quote from: JLH on February 02, 2022, 03:45:17 PM

What about 2 piece strikers snaping at the joint? Is it wood glue where the wood would fail before the glue?

JLH

Quote from: RLAG on February 02, 2022, 06:48:33 PM
Quote from: JLH on February 02, 2022, 03:45:17 PM

What about 2 piece strikers snaping at the joint? Is it wood glue where the wood would fail before the glue?

Possibly, but most guys have a drawer full of 2 piece strikers....im sure you can find a replacement.

Yoder409

I can honestly say, in 44 years of doing this, I have never come close to breaking a striker.  I'm not quite sure.....short of a violent fall........how I'd accomplish that.

I do, however have a very hard shelled case for ALL my calls when taking trips to hunt.  Just for transport purposes.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

paboxcall

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 03, 2022, 12:07:27 PM
I can honestly say, in 44 years of doing this, I have never come close to breaking a striker.  I'm not quite sure.....short of a violent fall........how I'd accomplish that.

I do, however have a very hard shelled case for ALL my calls when taking trips to hunt.  Just for transport purposes.

Wish stuff coming from UPS was packed in a hard shell for transport, that last leg of the trip is brutal.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot