turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Short stocks

Started by strut, January 31, 2022, 07:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdaugherty

I actually put an adult size stock on a youth model action and barrel 870 20GA. Its a very short gun and with a vortex red dot and TSS handloads it will kill turkeys all day long.

crow

one more advantage of a double trigger gun,

front trigger with normal LOP for moving turkeys,
back trigger for shorter LOP for awkward positions, or shooting left handed.

There are times the shorter lop is more practical.

Happy

I cut an inch off the stock of my 835 twenty years ago. At last I finally have found 1 area I am ahead of the curve!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Spring Creek Calls

My youth model SA-28 has a 12.5" LOP and the adult model 14.5" LOP. I added a 1" slip on recoil pad and it is perfect for turkey hunting off a stool/lounger.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

WV Flopper

I'll second that on the Mossberg 510, it is junk. Will kick the snot out of you.

Funny? My son killed 1 gobbler with his 510. After that he refused to pull the trigger. Out of desperation I traded it in on a M2. He will shoot it.

For you guys that love your Mossberg pumps.... One day maybe you will own a gun that is not engineered to kick you in the face.

When a turkey comes in on my hard left (left handed) I switch shoulders. Lot less movement than trying to turn your body to shoot. LOP has not affected me in a negative way on my BPS.

sswv

every long gun I own (with the exception of the youth models) has a shortened stock. not much, but shorter than factory. just works better for me especially on colder days with heavier clothing.

crow

Quote from: Happy on February 01, 2022, 05:36:43 PM
I cut an inch off the stock of my 835 twenty years ago. At last I finally have found 1 area I am ahead of the curve!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Well that, and don't forget about that honking big single TSS pellet you pack around.

backforty

Went to a youth model 870 20 gauge a few yrs ago, wish I would have done it sooner. I struggled with my 835 for yrs while sitting against a tree and finally bit the bullet and got a shorter LOP. Love it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Print by Madison, on Flickr

camotoe

I put an adjustable stock on an old  mossburg  500 years ago , luv it . My shoulder is pinned so I needed the short l o p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the Ward

I cut mine 3 times and it is still too short.

Greg Massey

I shorted the stock on Marlin 1896 44 mag, for my son years ago to youth hunt with for deer, that gun today if it had the full length stock would bring around 1000 dollars or more but in shorting the stock i well decreased the value, so keep this in mine also. I would of never figured Marlin would of had to sell to Ruger Firearms but they did.. In the old day's we did have much option but to shorten a stock for kid's but regardless it was worth doing.

RED NECK

Quote from: the Ward on February 02, 2022, 01:20:01 PM
I cut mine 3 times and it is still too short.
Measure twice, cut once!! haha
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Meleagris gallopavo

My LOP is 13" so I either get the stocks cut down, order thinner recoil pads, or order shorter stocks for my guns.  Longer LOPs have negatively affected my wingshooting before.  As you may imagine, I have not had problems with shorter LOP guns.  I can see where a shorter, handier gun may be a good thing in the turkey woods.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Sungrazer

I seem to recall the Hunting Public mentioning the youth LOP on their 870 they pass around as well. I'm itching to buy a new dedicated Turkey gun, maybe I need to shoulder a youth model.

DirtNap647

Shoulder a youth model sitting down ready position with your vest straps you will love the shorter stock