turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Asking Landowner Permission

Started by Dhamilton1, January 31, 2022, 04:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhamilton1

I follow an account on Instagram called "Identical Draw", it's twin brothers who are passionate hunters of both turkey and deer. They recently had a post/story on their page that showed an interesting way of requesting landowner permission to hunt. Basically, it looks like they find farms or property via e-scouting or seeing deer/turkeys from the road but instead of going directly to the landowners, they mail everyone of them a letter asking permission to hunt on their property. Just curious if anyone has tried this approach or what your thoughts are on it? It does cut out the rejection factor face to face as well as the possible aggressive landowner who may not like someone knocking on their door and asking to be allowed to hunt. By mailing a letter, if you don't hear back then it's probably an obvious no.

Upfold99

Ive done this several times. I usually dont get a return response. The one time I did, the landowner called me and thanked me for writing a detailed request.

He said he couldnt let hunt, because family members already hunted it.

I had put my phone number and email on the letter, so the owner did not have to snail mail a response.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Candyman

I too have knocked on doors. Mostly it's a no but sometimes it's a yes. The reason I prefer to ask in person is so I can "see" the response. I have been in sales for over z25 years and part of that is reading body language. It also allows one to ask additional questions based on the response. Just this year I asked to hunt a 40 acre cutover for deer. Initially the response was no. The reason was someone used to hunt it and shot deer and scared his momma. I followed this with "what if I use my bow and only bow hunt?"  His no became a yes and I have a new place to hunt.

Letters may allow you to ask more folks but a knock on the door will always be the better approach in my opinion.

bobk

Speaking as a property owner, I would not respond to a letter.  I expect a hunter looking to access my property to ask face to face.

guesswho

Quote from: bobk on January 31, 2022, 05:44:05 PM
Speaking as a property owner, I would not respond to a letter.  I expect a hunter looking to access my property to ask face to face.
Same here.   Right in the trash with no response.   If I'm not worth your time to see me face to face then your not worth my time for me to read or respond to your letter. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

SD_smith

I'm in agreement if it was mine I'd want the face to face. I could see where you could get some yes answers with the letters but most of the time I'm looking to hunt that weekend or next day so really don't have the time for mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upfold99

I will say with the letters I sent, were about vacant land mear me and the owner lived out of state.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Dhamilton1

They didn't go into detail so it may be that type of situation where it's not lived on land or it's land possibly on the other side the state they live in or possibly land in an adjoining state. However, I also see the land owner perspective of wanting to meet the person asking.   

ChesterCopperpot

I ain't got the face for face to face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eggshell

I am in the boat with those throwing it in the trash. If it's winter it goes in the wood stove. My feelings are the same as they were before I retired towards job seekers. I got unsolicited e-mails and resumes in the mail all the time. They all went to the trash can immediately. Now you can call and ask and I'll suggest you stop by. Like I always told job seekers, if you can't show me the respect and motivation to come look me in the face then you ain't getting a job nor on my land.

Sir-diealot

I am not a property owner but if I were I would never give permission to someone if I could not meet the person face to face and size them up.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Vintage

I am a property owner and would throw the request in the can.

MK M GOBL

I am on both sides as a landowner and on who is knocking on doors. For me all face to face, especially for anything local, farmers know each other and have gotten on to farms because of those connections.

MK M GOBL

GobbleNut

One problem with trying to talk to a landowner face-to-face (which I agree everybody should do, if feasible) is actually FINDING that landowner to talk to him/her.  Anymore, there are just too many absentee landowners and/or the properties you want to ask about have no clear landowner to ask because they are in a jumble of mixed private-land ownership and have no clear residence to approach them. 

There are plenty of exceptions to that, of course, but there are also plenty of places where running down a landowner to ask for permission to hunt borders on being impossible.  On the other hand, if there is clear ownership of a property and it is not impractical to track the owners down, I think it is pretty much always better to risk the rejection (and possible dog bites) to approach them face-to-face. 

Here's a question for the landowners among us:  If a stranger tracks you down and asks permission to hunt your property, what are the chances you are going to let them?  (be honest now...)   ;D

bobk

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 01, 2022, 08:29:17 AM
Here's a question for the landowners among us:  If a stranger tracks you down and asks permission to hunt your property, what are the chances you are going to let them?  (be honest now...)   ;D

There is always a chance of me granting access to decent hunters that ask face to face.  Guys need to recognize that we pay taxes,  insurance,  maintenance cost, etc. on our property. Showing respect when you ask increases your odds.