turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pros/Cons of a Pump vs Autoloader

Started by simpzenith, January 30, 2022, 03:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

They both have have their place, I use both every season. But for guaranteed follow-up shots, the pump will guarantee that. Turkey hunting is a first shot endeavor, but follow-up shots are not uncommon.
"Solo hunter"

etapia

I'm with others in liking the reduced recoil. For me I wanted a high end do it all gun, both turkey and upland, which ultimately put me towards auto.

the Ward

For turkey hunting, i don't really have a preference. I guess its all how the gun feels in the hand.

Spladle160

Recoil, Recoil, Recoil. One shot while hunting is hardly ever and issue. Shoot a couple of boxes of hot and heavy 3.5" TSS loads for patterning and a light pump gun will hammer you and potential induce flinching which will led to misses. I bought my autoloader for 1 reason and 1 reason only. Recoil management.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Gobbler428

I carried a BPS pump for twenty-five plus years and loved it but the older I got, the more it seemed to punish my shoulder. Three years ago, I went with a SBEII auto and was glad I did.  After reading about the TSS and 20 and 410 ga guns, I now have a new SBEIII 20ga which I'll be carrying this spring. Love this little gun so far and can't wait to hunt with it.

dzsmith

seen a lot of comments on "softer shooting" and less recoil. Im assuming most of you are using gassers, because inertia driven shotguns IMO have substantial recoil, enough to not consider it an advantage over a pump anyway.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

dzsmith

Quote from: Spladle160 on February 14, 2022, 11:09:29 AM
Recoil, Recoil, Recoil. One shot while hunting is hardly ever and issue. Shoot a couple of boxes of hot and heavy 3.5" TSS loads for patterning and a light pump gun will hammer you and potential induce flinching which will led to misses. I bought my autoloader for 1 reason and 1 reason only. Recoil management.
which autoloader did you buy?
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

FL-Boss

I have and use all of them. But the Semi is quieter, no pump rattles. Also usually lighter.  And you will have faster and more accurate/controlled follow up shots if needed.

OJR

My main Turkey gun is an 870. I do use semi-auto's for Dove, Upland and waterfowl.
That said, I do travel with an autoloader as my back-up Turkey gun. Never had to go to it and would probably feverishly try to pump it if I did.

shaman

I hunted with an REM 1100 auto for years before switching to a Mossberg 500 pump.  Along the way, I've hunted with probably a half-dozen shotguns.

I settled on a pump simply because

a)  The pump is all I really need. Follow-on shots are pretty rare
b)  The pump is lighter
c)   The pump was cheaper by far
d)  The pump is much easier to maintain

I feel that turkey hunting is one of those times where a cheap gun that gets the job done is better than the best-of-breed.  My 500 has been out now for 25 seasons and taken dozens of birds and I've really never have had to worry about it.    I think I paid $120 for it.    I spray-painted over a decade ago, and if the paint gets dinged up, I just respray it.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

trkehunr93

I'm a lefty so finding a left hand autoloader is like finding a unicorn, so's a left hand pump action.  Last lefty autoloader I saw was on gunbroker, 1100 trap I believe, and it was more than I'm willing to pay.  My mossberg 500 and 835 do just fine for me. 

Jbird22

I prefer 870s for turkey hunting because that's what I'm most familiar with. Been using some form of one since I started turkey hunting over 20+ years ago.

CntrlPAlongbeard

My old hunting buddy used to carry a Benelli Nova. Whenever he'd get excited he'd start shaking and that forearm would start chattering.
We called it "The Rattler".
Never actually spooked a bird, and it's killed more than it's fair share.
That being said...i shoot a semi now, but I do miss the feeling of shutting the action after you kill one. I still reflexively try to pump my semi every time i shoot it.
You are going to find him endlessly fascinating, occasionally easy, regularly difficult, and frequently impossible, but never dull. -Col. Tom Kelly

Sir-diealot

After three shoulder surgeries (Maybe getting a fourth) it is just easier to use an autoloader. Always did anyway, just did not see the sense in reloading manually when it could be right there waiting for you after the first shot. I could also see an argument that less movement for a followup shot though I do think that may be stretching it a bit. I did have some single shots, a Mossberg 500 and other pumps, just did not care for them is all.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

MK M GOBL

25 plus years of my 11-87 12 gauge and never an issue.

I switched from an 870 to the 11-87 because of recoil for the kids to use, Learn to Hunts & Youth hunts. I am now setting up a Franchi Affinity 3 Compact 20ga for this.

Don't know that there is a clear reason as to one or the other as to reliability. I am meticulous on cleaning and maintain my guns.

MK M GOBL