turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pros/Cons of a Pump vs Autoloader

Started by simpzenith, January 30, 2022, 03:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simpzenith

I will likely never use an autoloader for hunting and could list a number of reasons why I believe a pump is a better choice. Obviously, an autoloader has the perceived advantage of being able to "autoload" each round but that's where it ends in my eyes, yet I still see many turkey hunters using autoloaders. For those in that category, why do you prefer to use an autoloader?

Spitten and drummen

I shoot a auto loader simply because I like them. I have 4 dedicated to turkey hunting and all have been reliable. I own a couple of pumps and nothing at all is wrong with them. As far as follow up shots, that really has never been a deciding factor. In over 40 years turkey hunting , I have used break barrels , pumps and semi's. The only thing that I have noticed is recoil is less with a semi the majority of the time. I went from a 20 ga to a 410 last year and yes its a auto also. No particular advantage that I can see between a auto and a pump in my honest opinion.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on January 30, 2022, 03:57:12 PM
I shoot a auto loader simply because I like them. I have 4 dedicated to turkey hunting and all have been reliable. I own a couple of pumps and nothing at all is wrong with them. As far as follow up shots, that really has never been a deciding factor. In over 40 years turkey hunting , I have used break barrels , pumps and semi's. The only thing that I have noticed is recoil is less with a semi the majority of the time. I went from a 20 ga to a 410 last year and yes its a auto also. No particular advantage that I can see between a auto and a pump in my honest opinion.
X2 so agree. I will add my age has made me go more so to automatic, but i have both singles, pumps and auto and will still use all of them.

WildTigerTrout

I own 3 pumps(10 ga., 12 ga. and a .410) and one autoloader.  I like and use them all. No real preference but I do like my Benelli SBE 1.  Biggest advantage IMO is the softer recoil.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Which Gun

Softer shooting goes to the semi auto. My Browning Maxus is tame compared to my 870 supermag both shooting 3 1/2" longbeards.  My other turkey guns 20 is auto,my other 12 is an auto,410 is stevens single shot. I just prefer auto's personally. Own three pumps to eight autos.

WV Flopper

My gun has a little bit of recoil. I run 2.675 oz. of TSS and the recoil will cycle the next round with me just pulling the trigger and holding on to the big girl. It has never failed, not one time, in 20 years.

My son's gun, a M2 is less than my BPS in reliability. New, after set up, the Benelli click. 35 yards on a strutter, youth season for a 12 year old. I spent +-2K for the Benelli click!

My BPS is reliable, it has fired every time I have asked it too and has never fired with out me asking it too. It is heavy, but will put over 600 holes in a 10" target @ 40 yards.

I have been looking at new 20g autos, maybe..... reading what I just wrote, I should be looking at a pump gun. I have NO trouble running a pump. But, it won't be a nose punching Mossberg.

310 gauge

Went from a single barreled .410 from Santa to a Model 1100 12 gauge over 50 yrs ago. Keep her cleaned and I still give resident Canada Geese 5 barrels worth with the best of 'em...

ChesterCopperpot

Smaller fore-end, lighter recoil, and makes things easier for follow ups on the occasional and inevitable oh-sh*t-he's-still-standing-there, oh-sh*t-I-missed moments of sheer dumbfoundedness that happen in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

310 gauge

Nathan_Wiles

Quote from: guesswho on January 30, 2022, 04:24:27 PM
I'm old, slow and a bad shot.
I love this answer, now that I review my reasons, this must be included...except the old part I ain't ready to accept that yet, 51 ain't old I don't think.
I switched to a 20 gauge semi auto because of shoulder issues, getting a new right shoulder tuesday,, I guess I just like em at the end of the day. In general I have shotgun problem though I like all of them. Old, new, vertical and horizontal doubles, pumps and semi-autos, even single barrels and bolt actions.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

I have always shot auto loaders, just preference and I hate the sloppy fore ends on a pump gun.

An over under or sxs is the ultimate turkey gun with the 2 chokes but I chickened out concerned with both barrels hitting the same!

Have only ever had a follow up shot once!

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on January 30, 2022, 04:24:27 PM
I'm old, slow and a bad shot.

I resemble that remark, except I'm older, slower, and probably a worser shot!  Still, I shoot a pump.  When I look in the mirror a day or so after a hunt and see that bruise on my cheek, I know that something good must (or might) have happened!   ;D :angel9:

owlhoot

Have shot both . Prefer the pumps for turkey. Especially in 20 gauge , recoil is not an issue. One point for the pump is that for those who still get up and run to the shot turkey the chamber isn't auto loaded for the mad dash.
My pumps don't rattle around, no Mossberg's here.
3 1/2" 12 gauges years ago, semi-automatics for the reduced recoil for sure.