OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite TSS brand

Started by ChesterCopperpot, January 28, 2022, 06:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

I've shot handloads since 2015 but was running low on an out-of-state trip so bought a box of 3 1/2" Federal #9s as backup. They were pretty much junk in comparison to hal's recipe handloads.

Franklin7x57

I started with the Federal 9's in my franchi, they won't feed the second shot. I emailed Apex and they said theirs would feed, looks like they trimmed the hull a little before they roll crimped it. The Ninja 8.5 is what they had in stock so that's what I got. They give a lot hotter core than the Federal 9's but the 20" circle was thinner. I probably will shoot the federals first and follow up with the Ninja until they are gone.

Dtrkyman

I forgot Hal was selling ammo now, he got me started hand loading so I would definitely buy from him.

northms

Nitro TSS 20 ga 3" #9s. Bad news on gobblers.

BD

AndyH

Roll my own for the 20 but Foxtrot for the .410

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

St. Augustine Strutter

Quote from: zelmo1 on January 29, 2022, 11:38:58 AM
I load my own and actually back off the max payload and keep the FPS around 1200, best results for me. If I ever buy any it will be Foxtrot, they are the most consistent even Patterson. I will go back to lead before I purchase another Apex product. No explanation needed. Shoot what works for you  :OGturkeyhead:

Just curious. Why don't you like Apex?  Bad experience with them?

CALLM2U

I still have 5 boxes of Federals left.  Once that's gone, I will probably experiment with other brands.  Right now, the Federals are working great. 

Turkeyfever

I shoot Federal #9 and have had nothing but good results with patterns and on Turkeys. I wouldn't be afraid to try others but see no point since I have enough for the next several turkey seasons.

Missouri hunter

Apex #9 through a full choke gives me a nice even pattern, with some wiggle room.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

owlhoot

Federal 12 gauge , 20 gauge , 410. good enough for me .
Bought 11 boxes of 20 gauge during the 15 bucks a box Cabela's/bass pro sale. 200+in the 10 out of everything I shot them in, including a fixed full Winchester 37A 20 gauge. 
The Federal 410 beat the Browning loads and the Apex Ninja were terrible out of a fixed full anyway.

rakkin6

Sorry but who is this Hal that I keep hearing about? And how do you contact him in reference to ammo? Thanks

I like Apex out of both my guns. Patterned much better than the Federals did out of my setups. These are the only two TSS brands I have used. I have been wanting to try some other shells just because I like to see what is out there.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: rakkin6 on January 30, 2022, 03:44:35 AM
Sorry but who is this Hal that I keep hearing about? And how do you contact him in reference to ammo? Thanks

I like Apex out of both my guns. Patterned much better than the Federals did out of my setups. These are the only two TSS brands I have used. I have been wanting to try some other shells just because I like to see what is out there.

Hal's company.
https://tssshot.com/
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

rakkin6

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on January 30, 2022, 07:59:07 AM
Quote from: rakkin6 on January 30, 2022, 03:44:35 AM

Hal
https://tssshot.com/
Thank you, I have been to that site before. Didn't know he was a member on here. Each time I have been they have been sold out. Guess that means they are popular. I will keep an eye on his site and try some out.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

wchadw

If you hand load buy tss shot from hal and he will give you load data

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk