OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What gun do you think of when you think of a classic turkey gun?

Started by Jc69, January 28, 2022, 10:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildTigerTrout

Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

b wilt

One of the early 870 Express Super Mag or 11-87 camos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

EZ

I've toted an 870 with fixed full choke for most of my turkey hunting life, but to me, the classics were the Model 12 and the A-5.

Turkeytider

The Remington 870 variants and the Mossberg 835 have probably killed more turkeys than everything else combined. Add the Model 12 to those two and I`m pretty sure I`m right.

Missouri hunter

My 1988 Winchester 1300 NWTF 12ga 22" barrel. It was made the year I was born and from my understanding was the first "Turkey" model shotgun. I have loved carrying and killing turkeys with that thing!
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Tom007

Quote from: Missouri hunter on February 02, 2022, 10:15:38 AM
My 1988 Winchester 1300 NWTF 12ga 22" barrel. It was made the year I was born and from my understanding was the first "Turkey" model shotgun. I have loved carrying and killing turkeys with that thing!

You bet, fantastic Turkey gun......love the way they shoulder with that short barrel.
"Solo hunter"

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

owlhoot

I sure remember plenty of old single shots or doubles.
Winchester model 12 and Remington model 11.
Followed by the 870 Wingmaster fixed choke but vent ribbed, in use by us younger fellers.
My first turkey special gun was a 21" barrel turkey special ordered the first time they came out and still have one in 12 and one in the youth 21" 20 gauges later.

paboxcall

Quote from: owlhoot on February 06, 2022, 05:12:26 PM

While I'm still of the opinion a 835 sporting original Realtree camo = turkey hunter, I do proudly have one of these. Pretty iconic turkey gun in its day, too.

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

paboxcall

IMO, this thread is rather worthless without pics, by the way....
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

owlhoot

Quote from: paboxcall on February 06, 2022, 05:53:25 PM
Quote from: owlhoot on February 06, 2022, 05:12:26 PM

While I'm still of the opinion a 835 sporting original Realtree camo = turkey hunter, I do proudly have one of these. Pretty iconic turkey gun in its day, too.

Yes sir. you surely have a nice one there.

ChesterCopperpot

Here's you some. Old 97s and Model 12s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

gergg

While I have toted an 835 since they came out, I still see a SxS an an old school turkey gun
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Tom007

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 06, 2022, 06:58:14 PM
Here's you some. Old 97s and Model 12s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, now that's a flock of Old School beauties......fantastic....
"Solo hunter"