Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What gun do you think of when you think of a classic turkey gun?

Started by Jc69, January 28, 2022, 10:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paboxcall

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 22, 2022, 06:09:59 PM
Quote from: paboxcall on January 28, 2022, 03:17:14 PM
To me an 835 wearing original Realtree camo = turkey hunter.
Like this ol' thing?

That's a good one. But was thinking of this one (from the Realtree website):
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: paboxcall on February 22, 2022, 06:53:56 PM
Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 22, 2022, 06:09:59 PM
Quote from: paboxcall on January 28, 2022, 03:17:14 PM
To me an 835 wearing original Realtree camo = turkey hunter.
Like this ol' thing?

That's a good one. But was thinking of this one (from the Realtree website):
Yeah.  That's very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Swampchickin234

870 wingmaster, model 12, Ithaca 37s, 1100 and a5s. Man what a pile of goodies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

Started with an 870 I had, after a few years I decided to "build" a dedicated turkey gun. Had a gunsmithing team at the store and said here's what I'm looking to do, first one they ever built and still using that gun to this day. Reminton 11-87 Custom Turkey!

(Pictured)
1st.... My gun now "Custom Turkey"
2nd....Originally Remington 11-87 SP Walnut 28"bbl
3rd.... Dad's Rem 11-87 SPST (What I now have others using when with me)

MK M GOBL

Mallard1897

For the original classic I'd have to go with a model 1897. But I did enjoy using an old sxs last year.

For "new" classic it's the old reliable 835. Pretty good on geese too.

Hard to choose a favorite. It's fun to hunt with em all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

lowoctane

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Jc69

Here are a few of mine, if I am smart enough to get the pics to load.
a 1956 870 Wingmaster deluxe

Jc69

Newer 870 express turkey with a 21 inch barrel
A near mint Remington Model 11 made in 1915, has the suicide safety with a 24 or 25 inch barrel,
and the bottom is a 1963 or 64 Ithaca 37 with a full choke and 24 inch barrel.
All of my guns are 12 guages.

Lower top  is  my favorite, a 2000 11-87 Special Purpose Turkey, bottom is just another  2019 Express Turkey, both have the 21 inch Barrel.

Duckdogdad

I have 30 plus year old 870 special purpose with a Mark Bansner fixed choke 21.5 barrel. Gun was hand painted in a bottom land pattern. Worn, beat up...patterns both lead and TSS well. Not a gun anywhere I would trade for it.

greencop01

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

CarolinaKat

Quote from: cane mountain cutter on February 22, 2022, 03:32:31 AM
For me its the Special Purpose Remington 870, the 21 inch barrel is the perfect length. I love the old greenleaf guns but prefer a totally black gun. I finally found one and had Billy Tierce, cerekote it, and dropped a 2lb timney trigger in it. To me its the bees knees!

Hello all. This is my 21" Special Purpose from 1995. It was my Dad's gun and he gave it to me several years back. It's a wood stocked gun that was dipped in Forest Floor camo. I killed my first and only turkey with it 4 years ago at 35 yards. That was the only time I've been turkey hunting. I plan on hunting again this year with it. I killed that first bird with the Remington 4X6 duplex load which I don't think they make anymore. Dad gave me 2 ten round boxes of it and I still have 16 rounds left. It's got the Remington extra full turkey choke. I patterned the gun with the 4X6 loads and I tried some Winchester LB #5's but it did better with the 4X6s. I plan to do some pattern testing this weekend. Still got the 4X6s and half a box of the LB 5's to try again. Haven't seen any turkey loads in the stores here.

Also, normally this gun has an IC choke installed with #1 buckshot loaded for one of my home defense guns.

Happy

Mossberg 835 for me. They were the "must have" gun for serious turkey hunters when I was just getting started. That was when Ray Eye was a popular figure and the one guy that helped me learn how to call always had one of his 2.5 Reed cutter calls.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

The first gun was a single barrel 12 ga.. after that it was a A5 Browning 20 ga. light 3 inch ... before finally getting a BPS 10 ga. Stalker it was like carrying a ball and chain with you and after that Remington 870 - 12 ga. 3 inch with choke tubes..

Yoder409

Obviously there's a lot of "classics" that have killed a lot of turkeys. 

Winchester Model 12
Winchester Model 21
Ithaca Model 37
LC Smith doubles
Fox doubles
etc............

But those don't qualify as "designated, dedicated" guns DESIGNED to be "turkey guns".  When I think of the classic "turkey guns" I'm thinking.......

Remington 870 Turkey
Winchester 1300 laminated
Remington 11-87 Special Purpose
Browning BPS 10 gauge
Mossberg 835
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.