OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What gun do you think of when you think of a classic turkey gun?

Started by Jc69, January 28, 2022, 10:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jc69

I'm sure a "classic turkey gun" has a different meaning for everyone and also is probably different for different areas and different time periods.  When I think of a classic Turkey Gun, I guess a Remington 1100 comes to mind where I live in the Ozark Mountains.  The Reason is when I think back to grandparents, parents and father in law and looking back at old pictures, the 1100 hundred seems to be the most popular and probably followed by an 870.  I think the 1100 was popular because it came out in the early 60's and it seemed like the Turkey numbers were improving in the ozarks from the early 60s up until 2000ish.  My father in law who loved turkey hunting(was born in 1944) said the 1100 came out at the time when he was in his early 20s and he finally had a decent number of turkeys to really get into it and it was different than the A5s and Model 11 that his dad had used.

highball

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

paboxcall

To me an 835 wearing original Realtree camo = turkey hunter.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

crow

A SXS,

Just ask Archibald Rutledge, Henry Davis, and Rev. Zach Farmer

ChesterCopperpot

Model 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED NECK

Winchester 1300 is one of my age groups "classics" and since It was my first one and I still have it, I'll say it.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

7shooter

shatcher

Quote from: crow on January 28, 2022, 04:45:22 PM
A SXS,

Just ask Archibald Rutledge, Henry Davis, and Rev. Zach Farmer

This. If I go 12, older Ithaca Turkeyslayer!  What say you, Greg?

Loyalist84

Admittedly there aren't many 'classic' guns in my area, but I'd go for a Winchester Model 12 Heavy Duck, an Ithaca NID 10ga, or an HE "Super Fox" double, if I had to switch to a turkey gun a generation or two older than the ones I tote in the woods today.

Spring Creek Calls

Winchesters, Model 12 and then 1300's. I still hunt both.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

sswv

Ol Yelper

When I started turkey hunting in the early 80s alot of guys swore by those H&R 10 ga. I tried one and nope not for me. Remington 870, 1100, and 1187 a few years later.