turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

stevens 301 12g or 20g?

Started by krem, January 26, 2022, 12:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krem

I'm looking to get my own turkey gun and have settled on the stevens 301. I'm thinking of getting a 12g but thought I'd ask here for your opinions. This will be my second year of turkey hunting and my calling is mediocre at best, I hunt open country in the panhandle of texas so it's not uncommon to have a longer shot. Thoughts?

Gmed

20 gauge and use TSS. #9s hit as hard as lead #5s with twice the payload in the little shell. Less weight and way less recoil.

rakkin6

I agree 20 gauge

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

crow

Matt76cmich

I went with the 20ga. Mainly because I am pretty stocked up on 20ga TSS. I think it's going to be a fun little gun.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

RED NECK

Where did you get the white turkey sticker?
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Matt76cmich

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on January 28, 2022, 02:55:28 PM
Where did you get the white turkey sticker?
Sent you a message.

Spark352

I'm looking at a 301 20ga this year as well. Think it would be a great gun with TSS for then I'm the primary caller and don't plan on shooting. It's light, nimble, short, and can put a low-profile EGW red dot mount on it.

Side note, Matt, where did you get that shell holder and sticker?

Matt76cmich

Quote from: Spark352 on January 29, 2022, 11:52:49 AM
I'm looking at a 301 20ga this year as well. Think it would be a great gun with TSS for then I'm the primary caller and don't plan on shooting. It's light, nimble, short, and can put a low-profile EGW red dot mount on it.

Side note, Matt, where did you get that shell holder and sticker?
Cedar Creek Outdoors sells the shell holder and I bought the sticker from Dave Owen's Pinhoti Project site.

northms

I have the 20 ga version of this. I shoot straight #9s TSS Nitros out of it and it hammers. Used the full choke that came with it last year and it did great. Just bought an Indian Creek .562 for it and will pattern soon. I love it.

krem

In y'all's opinion is 20g any harder to find than 12g? I'm tempted to go with a 12g just because if I did something stupid like forgot my shells I know a buddy would have some 12g at camp. I maybe over thinking this????

Greg Massey

Quote from: krem on March 12, 2022, 09:34:05 AM
In y'all's opinion is 20g any harder to find than 12g? I'm tempted to go with a 12g just because if I did something stupid like forgot my shells I know a buddy would have some 12g at camp. I maybe over thinking this????
You will enjoy the 20 ga.. more so than the 12 ga. BUT.. it will also depend on what your planing on hunting with in shells .. It's like deciding on what shell you want to shoot and then decide on a gun and choke ... i will say 12 ga. single barrel will have more recoil ....good luck...

Gmed

I got it just to "knock around", but I like the little 20. Be a stone cold killer with TSS....
I would bet the 12 gauge would kick like a three legged Ninja!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk