OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

K&H Ol'Yeller Sla-Tek

Started by Cruiser, January 22, 2022, 01:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiser

Can anybody date this version of the K&H Ol' Yeller Sla-Tek call? Any user experiences?
Thanks

mmclain

Tom007

One on EBay right now, $149 opening bid....
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Just saw the background, looks like your call. Good luck, they seem to sell...
"Solo hunter"

Cruiser

Yes, was debating whether to keep. Was hoping too get input from others without opening and  trying it.
Still curious when they were made? Understand there were different versions?

Tom007

You had the good version It also came in a green pot. They are desirable, especially NIP...
"Solo hunter"

Cruiser

Quote from: Tom007 on January 22, 2022, 04:23:19 PM
You had the good version It also came in a green pot. They are desirable, especially NIP...
Thanks Tom; thought it might be an older one based on some of the other items I found it with

Tom007

Yes sir, the brown pots seem to be a bit more desirable, and rare....
"Solo hunter"

Gmed

I have one with the green pot. Use it every year. Also have an Ol Glory. Wish I had bought a hundred of them when I bought these lol. Wish I could date it/them but I am to the point I can almost hide my own Easter eggs!

mikejd

Great calls. I think I have the green pot and I would say I bought mine about 20yrs ago.

rakkin6

Quote from: Gmed on January 22, 2022, 07:37:03 PM
I have one with the green pot. Use it every year. Also have an Ol Glory. Wish I had bought a hundred of them when I bought these lol. Wish I could date it/them but I am to the point I can almost hide my own Easter eggs!
I have 3 of the primos Ol Glory pots. It was the first pot I ever bought. Killed my first turkey with one and bought 2 more for backups. That was my OCD kicking in..I learned in the Army two is one and one is none. So I figured 3 is 2. Have a nice of custom pots now but no matter what my Ol Glory with the Frictionite surface is always in the vest.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

sasquatch1

Wanna sell it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sasquatch1

Nvm I see it on ebay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GobbleGitr

Big fan of Knight & Hale (the men), and collect their turkey calls.  The first couple Ol' Yellers were, in my opinion, the best.  The original Model KH158 Ol' Yeller was in a black pot, launched in 1999, and got its name from a hunt that the outdoor writer was on with Harold Knight; Harold used this prototype call, and due to the yellow ceramic surface, Phillips called it "Ol' Yeller" and it stuck.  The pot and Sla-Tek surface were all designed by Mike Battey ("The Call Doctor"), and is still one I use...I have a box full.  The second model released was the green pot, and the third changed to Model 158A in 2005...but was still the Sla-Tek surface, but in a yellow pot, and the call surface featured a  black circle and 'OL' YELLER' (in all caps).  The one you show is the fourth variant, Model 158B and it is no longer the Battey pot and surface.  There were at least 3 slightly different variants of that model, and in 2006 a camo version, Model KH158CAMO was released (rare!).  Also in 2006 came the UHT158 (Ultimate Hunting Team was UHT, part of their marketing strategy at the time) and the call had a cherry wood pot and pic of gobbler engraved in back of it.  The final Model KHT1010-T was released at the 2016 NWTF Convention, and was the Ol' Yeller Classic with a walnut pot.  Happy for any other information, corrections or additions anyone has to this.

mikejd

Quote from: GobbleGitr on January 23, 2022, 08:21:34 AM
Big fan of Knight & Hale (the men), and collect their turkey calls.  The first couple Ol' Yellers were, in my opinion, the best.  The original Model KH158 Ol' Yeller was in a black pot, launched in 1999, and got its name from a hunt that the outdoor writer was on with Harold Knight; Harold used this prototype call, and due to the yellow ceramic surface, Phillips called it "Ol' Yeller" and it stuck.  The pot and Sla-Tek surface were all designed by Mike Battey ("The Call Doctor"), and is still one I use...I have a box full.  The second model released was the green pot, and the third changed to Model 158A in 2005...but was still the Sla-Tek surface, but in a yellow pot, and the call surface featured a  black circle and 'OL' YELLER' (in all caps).  The one you show is the fourth variant, Model 158B and it is no longer the Battey pot and surface.  There were at least 3 slightly different variants of that model, and in 2006 a camo version, Model KH158CAMO was released (rare!).  Also in 2006 came the UHT158 (Ultimate Hunting Team was UHT, part of their marketing strategy at the time) and the call had a cherry wood pot and pic of gobbler engraved in back of it.  The final Model KHT1010-T was released at the 2016 NWTF Convention, and was the Ol' Yeller Classic with a walnut pot.  Happy for any other information, corrections or additions anyone has to this.

I just went and pulled mine out. I have the original black version. 1999 sounds about when i bought it. Still in my bag almost everytime out. Sounds better then a lot of my high end stuff.