turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ceramic Pot Calls

Started by GunRunner, January 07, 2022, 02:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunRunner

Humidity is almost always an issue where I hunt in coastal Georgia and South Carolina. The high humidity impacts the sound quality of my slate pot calls even on the driest mornings. They sound great indoors but outdoors they loose that sharp clean sound when the porous slate surface picks up the moisture. One of my buddies suggested trying a ceramic pot call to avoid this. Another even suggested that I run a cigarette lighter flame over the slate surface to dry it out before calling (not so sure about that one ??)

Do you guys agree that ceramic call tones are better in high humidity environments?  If so, can you please recommend a custom ceramic pot call?

Thanks,

GunRunner
  :turkey:

Greg Massey

Quote from: GunRunner on January 07, 2022, 02:42:58 PM
Humidity is almost always an issue where I hunt in coastal Georgia and South Carolina. The high humidity impacts the sound quality of my slate pot calls even on the driest mornings. They sound great indoors but outdoors they loose that sharp clean sound when the porous slate surface picks up the moisture. One of my buddies suggested trying a ceramic pot call to avoid this. Another even suggested that I run a cigarette lighter flame over the slate surface to dry it out before calling (not so sure about that one ??)

Do you guys agree that ceramic call tones are better in high humidity environments?  If so, can you please recommend a custom ceramic pot call?

Thanks,

GunRunner
  :turkey:
I used ceramic pot's and what i do on those type of morning is use handwarmer's to keep my pot's warm, i never use a lighter on the surface of my pot's .. You will learn handwarmer's are one of your best friends and easy to carry in bag or vest.. I carry Glenda Green satchel ...

outdoors

This is the biggest reason why I went to using a  trumpet
And latter in the day I can use a pot call
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

M,Yingling

its all in the striker get your self a good one that runs wet and wont have problem with call surfaces
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

ChesterCopperpot

Bill Lyman's carbon tip striker is about as weatherproof a stick as has ever been turned and sounds good on every surface I put it to (especially metal and ceramic). As for the lighter, don't. Haven't heard of that handwarmer trick but that certainly makes sense. Might have to try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbbow

Quote from: M,Yingling on January 07, 2022, 03:39:43 PM
its all in the striker get your self a good one that runs wet and wont have problem with call surfaces
^^^^

This guy here makes one of the best all weather strikers there is jmo.

spurs2bgobblin

Ceramic is a tricky surface to me. When you find a good one it sounds like glass and a plays like slate. But a bad one can be a screech machine.

I'd suggest a Stumpy, Halloran, Houdstooth, American Strutter and a few others. Hands down my Stumpy mahogany ceramic is full of hens!

"In the South it's an understanding. To a turkey hunter, it's a life not subject to change. They know it's crazy. But to them, to us, it's worth it."

Sixes

Daybreak and Spring Allure are also 2 excellent choices

Greg Massey

People may not realize but back in the early day's of ceramic call surface , there was 2 types of ceramic .. the old type was darker than the ceramic you get now.. the darker or older ceramic was a better playing ceramic ... IMO... i have them in both .... and i just like the older better but you can't get it anymore ...

aclawrence

If you pick up a ceramic consider Buster Halford. I have one of his ceramic surfaces in a blue mahoe pot and it is great.

Bringintheh2o

I second a Buster Halford ceramic in a Mahoe pot. It is a phenomenal call.

Meleagris gallopavo

I have pretty good luck with ceramic.  The makers mentioned above are all top notch.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Gog1015

I hunt in south Alabama and yes I believe ceramic does very well in the high humidity mornings. I'm a big fan of Buster Halford's ceramic calls, especially his 2 sider.

Crghss

I have Stumpy ceramic & Buster slate calls but rarely get to use them in South Florida. Primarily use Crystal or Glass and box's calls. Have a couple carbon strikers that help on all the pots.

I've used rubbing alcohol to dry them. And it works for a little while but it just gets damp or wet again.

Some mornings I get lucky.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

bobk

I have been through a bunch of ceramic callers. My favorites are made by Buster Halford and Jimmy Schaffer.