turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looking ahead to 2022

Started by Big Jeremy, December 31, 2021, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Jeremy

Most deer seasons have wrapped up, so other than some tree rats, rabbits, and flying birds, turkeys are up next!

What is one item (call, clothing, gear...anything really for turkey hunting) under $50 that you have and recommend? I'm all for trying new things, and while $50 ain't nothing, most of us could afford it.

I'll start...I'm really liking my relatively cheap snake gaiters instead of snake boots. Not as heavy, not as hot, and can fit over any boot. Mine are crack shots...I bought them for $40 a couple of years ago, but now they are higher...just searched. I also bought my daughter a pair from Academy last year for $30, and they work well, also.

Cowboy

I'd say I'm surprised how handy those low folding chairs are. We got a couple of them last year to use while setting up to call predators.  Useful when your trying to find a set up location and no suitable tree is around. However, we carried these this deer season as well since we have had the kids hunting too. Makes it easy for them to sit longer. I think we paid 25 or 30 bucks each for them. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Quote from: Cowboy on December 31, 2021, 06:32:16 PM
I'd say I'm surprised how handy those low folding chairs are.

Along those same lines.............  A few years back, now, I got an Alpz 3-legged, folding stool.  I'm not one to carry much crap around the woods with me.  But this stool makes it a LOT easier to sit and not fidget.  And I was forever hating on picking my setup spot and once I sat down on the ground............couldn't see squat.   I actually carry this stool (it has a carrying strap) dropped down over the barrel of my gun and slung on my shoulder.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tom007

I know most people use and have a Turkey tote to haul our birds back to camp. There are many totes out there,  they make it real easy to get your bird home.....
"Solo hunter"

Tail Feathers

Primos No Lose mouth call case.   $6.  I carry a mouth call in my vest just in case I forget it, but it's with me on every hunt.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Ranger

Field Notes pad and pen, something to write on and write with. Jot down those observations and thoughts on behavior and bp, and gobbling activity, and times and odd happenings.... before memories turn into I can't remembers it would be nice to compile a lot of what we see and learn. And I don't write something all the time but when wild things happen ill sit and put pen to paper. Also gives you a bit more time in a place, after calling to birds much higher on a ridge from the roost one morning and writing how a bobcat chasing a rabbit down the ridge ruined it all...the two longbeards showed up and hit that "were on the scene" gobble.  You know the rest, but if I would have left right after the bobcat hunt I would have been long gone when the two brothers showed up
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Dtrkyman

Lafuma low chair, less than 2lbs and pretty comfy for a small chair, way better than any gobbler chair boat anchor for packing anyway.

On the small side so not big boy apporved!  275 weight limit maybe but If you were much over 210 I am not sure you would squeeze into it?

the Ward

Compact binoculars. I have a couple of small cheap bushnell and tasco ones. They work well for what they are, and allow me to watch wildlife on slow mornings. I wouldn't use them on a hunt of a lifetime, but i wouldn't cry if i forgot them setting in the leaves either. They work well for their low price.

Vinci1964

Extra face mask, extra pair of gloves.  I usually come up short on a glove. Or the stitching rips out. I am sewing up last years stuff now.

I would also say a pruner or some type of limb cutter. There is always something in the way when you set up and it's usually covered in thorns. Just clip it and be done with it.

vt35mag

Which Gun

After reading this I may be looking a chair.

Big Jeremy

Some good stuff here. I'm looking into that lafuma chair, myself. I have a couple of gobbler loungers, but they do get a bit heavy after walking all morning.

I also always carry an extra pit of gloves and face mask. Always carry pruners, also. Pruners are probably #5 on my list of must haves behind 1 - gun, 2 - papers, 3 - thermacell, 4 - at least one mouth call (though I usually have about 10 pounds worth of calls on me on any given hunt, which makes me wonder why I care about saving a few pounds with a lafuma chair...ha!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

northms

I really enjoyed my Hooks custom owl hooter last year. I can owl hoot pretty good with my natural voice and have done so for years. But I switched to the Hooks hooter last year and really like it. Great sound and will reach out and touch them in the AM. If I don't lose it I expect it will last for years.

spiggy2

If you carry a pair of binos with a harness (alps, AGS, etc) I picked up a rangefinder pocket. Just nice to range some trees for reference and especially nice for fields. Something I'm glad I bought. A hydration bladder system is something I'd get too, most on Amazon are around $20 and it's beats having a bottle of water on the side of my vest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Believe me, you will find more lessons in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you what you cannot learn from masters." - St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Gooserbat

I'm getting a set of pruners before season.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.