Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Are you a backpacker or do you prefer a vest or other???

Started by selinoid44, June 02, 2011, 09:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selinoid44

I have a nice vest, but tend to carry and prefer to use the backpack and a pack belt for my turkey hunting ventures. I was curious what is your go to? Vest or backpack? Or other means of carrying your turkey hunting garb...

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

moonman

Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

mikejd

I hate that bulky feeling of the vest.I prefer a shoulder bag the one I have used for about 8 yrs now is made by Penn's woods it has dividers for calls, friction call pockets,striker pockets all within easy access.

sugarray

After this year I am really thinking of going back to back pack or to a fanny pack.  My vest is so heavy and I don't use the game bag.  I also use a gobbler lounger, so if I have time this is what I use.  Have been looking at one from Cabela's.

VAlongbeard84

Backpacker here, not a big fan of vests at all. Too much going on, I got a good deal on one at walmart of all places, stores my calls, gobbler lounger, drinks, snacks, etc...........
To each his or her own though....

Houndstooth Game Calls

Mouth calls around my neck and tube around my neck in shirt pocket and ol tom slate pouch on side thats it. I will use a vest when it rains the night before I hunt so I want have a wet tail in the morning. ;D

Beretta686

Vest when hunting anywhere but public land in MT. There I learned from my friends to pack a day pack and be ready to spend the night if need be.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

chatterbox

Vest for me. I also use a gobbler lounger, so I just remove the seat from my vest. Helps to lighten it a little.

spurman

Both, I usually have way to much stuff. Sometimes I stay out all day and I like to carry out my turkey in the backpack.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Gobble!

this was the first year I used a belt instead of a vest and theres no way I will be going back to the vest.

Tail Feathers

I've got setups that don't include a vest.  But I can never get 'em just right so I almost always use my vest.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

GobbleNut

I've got both and whether I use one or the other depends entirely upon what kind of hunting I will be doing and how far I am planning on traveling.  Here in NM, I will often walk several miles on a single outing, and in those cases, I will carry my pack.  It's just a lot easier for hiking a long ways. 

However, if I am somewhere that I will be sitting more that walking, I will wear the vest with the seat and back support so I will be comfortable. 

Both have their places in turkey hunting, depending on the situation.

Jim

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck