turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting stuff, what do you really need?

Started by jhoward11, August 18, 2021, 08:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhoward11

I went to the garage and opened the back closet and looked around and thought, "I got a lot of hunting stuff"! Don't get me wrong....I didn't get rid of anything. I just put up another shelf to make it look more organized. LOL. I asked myself, "do you really need more stuff"? I then went up to the man cave, looking at the mounts. I said to myself, "you have a lot of mounts"! Only need 1 more...Osceola for Grand slam. But do I really need it. Will it make my life better, or just something to brag about? Anyway, when I'm gone, the wife will take them down and sell or trash them. Talk me out of more stuff!!!! $2000-$4000 to shoot 1 bird. I'm not knocking anyone who does, I'm just on the fence. So I'm giving you permission to push me off the fence...But which side?

Dazzler

You choose which side of the fence. I always tell myself I'd be spending money on something else if it wasn't hunting. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChiefBubba

It's pretty basic. All you need is weapon of choice and ammo for said weapon and probably most importantly game to hunt and a place to hunt it. Bubba

RND1983

I would do the Osceola for sure. It will make for a great memory and make every penny spent worth it. In my opinion it is money well spent. It is a much cheaper option than say golf, bass fishing, etc. I personally have never bought something new even if I didn't need it and thought "that was a mistake."

Greg Massey

Life is way to short, if it gives you pleasure go for it... I would go on the hunt myself .. pictures are worth 1000 words not counting the great memories.. I will take hunting turkeys any day over just having one mounted. 

Tail Feathers

I think we derive almost as much pleasure from the gear, equipment and hunt for that stuff almost as the hunt for the turkey.  The preparation is fun, so is buying new calls, practicing and remembering past hunts.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

RND1983

100% agree with Tail Feathers. The process and preparation is just as intoxicating as the actual hunting.

guesswho

I don't need to kill another turkey, but guess what?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Crghss

Do I need more stuff? Heck NO!!! The gear I have is enough for the rest of my time on this planet.

Do I need more hunts? Absolutely!!! Hunting the Northeast, Westerner states or Southern Lowcountry are all different and unique. 

I am biased but I would not pass on a Osceola.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

bbcoach

Wives always need another NEW pair of shoes for that NEW outfit they bought so...   We always need another gun or call or the latest and GREATEST ammo but DO WE REALLY???  Each of us have to evaluate our Wants with our Needs and decide to spend the money or not.  Is it Important or just a Check in the Box?? 

I'll leave you with this saying that my Mother and Father taught me as a kid, "Don't let your WANTS hurt you."

It's Your Decision and Your Decision Alone. 

Spring Creek Calls

I have enough equipment to last a lifetime. If I'm gonna pay $2k-$4k for a hunt it's gonna be for a Saskatchewan whitetail and not a 20 pound gobbler, but that's just me.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Tail Feathers

I like deer hunting but I'm not sure I would travel to do it.  I can do that right here at home, at lease enough to satisfy me.
I am considering a pronghorn trip and maybe a pheasant trip.  I've never hunted either.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Prohunter3509

Never seen a uhaul followering a Hearst to the cemetery.
E joy it while you can .
I finished my slam 2 years ago and very proud I did.
When I am gone , it is what it is

3bailey3

Tom007

You've gone this far, finish it up........
"Solo hunter"