OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First thought after hearing gobble

Started by jhoward11, August 10, 2021, 08:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dah

After fly down or during day ,
   First thought , don't get to excited over one gobble , need a second one .
   Also thinking , don't trust him , could appear out of thin air .

catman529

This time of year, when I hear a gobble I get all giddy. During turkey season, when I hear a gobble I get all giddy. If I'm hunting, i have to consider where the bird is and how many other birds are gobbling and which one is hottest or easiest to setup on before I make a decision on the next move.

This past spring I hunted with my good friend Jim Ryser and went in blind to a new spot. Birds gobbling all around, most of em across the property line. There were at least 3 in a group together that were HOT. But they were across like 2 property lines way out of reach. Then there was another one that was also on another property, but he wasn't far from the property line and he was gobbling pretty good so we found a place to setup and called him right to the property line. I woulda rather gone after the really hot group of birds of course, so we could double up, but they were just too far out of reach with a lot of open fields and property lines between us. I did hear a shot up on that hill too, so somebody got one of em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Howie g

Usually take my last swig of coffee . Then start my route to where i " think " he may want to go ...

Paulmyr

Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Sixes

I reckon it is just like fishing.

It's always "There he is"

WV Flopper

It all depends. I think I could write so many conflicting things here
that people would just be plane out confused as to what I am saying. I guess it depends on my mood.

If I am on turkeys and looking at him when he gobbles....Good morning.
Free lancing....There you are.
A turkey that has give me trouble.....!*!*!*!*!*
New ground.....I feel myself smile.

I really ain't to sure I think so much when turkey hunting, especially early in the season. Later in season I start calculating, I need to stop that!

I had my son one day on a perfect morning youth hunt. We walked a mile to our vantage spot, a few minutes went by and the song birds started to tweet. I went to a near by outside restroom facility, returned and told him the crows were about to start. Within a few seconds they did. A few more seconds clicked on the clock and I told the boy the turkeys would start. 5 seconds after my voice died a turkey sounded off. For the rest of that day my son thought I was a turkey god!

He experienced the M2 Benelli click on that gobbler, 30 yards and strutting. So close to a perfect day. Later that day, he retold how the morning birds woke up. I think he was 12 on this turkey, with a few already over his shoulder. I did realize that he appreciated what transpired that morning. Except for the click!

Turkeyman

My first thought upon hearing a gobble is that I want to hear a second. If I do, I'll close on him...if he's a bit distant...and talk to him. If he responds I know the game is on.

Meleagris gallopavo

Game on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Paulmyr

Quote from: Turkeyman on August 12, 2021, 04:18:44 PM
My first thought upon hearing a gobble is that I want to hear a second. If I do, I'll close on him...if he's a bit distant...and talk to him. If he responds I know the game is on.
I don't need a response from him to know the game is on. That's just part of the game.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Cowboy

He shall be mine.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RND1983

I just stand there with a dumb smile on my face. And when he gobbles for the 50th time I still have the same dumb smile on my face. It never gets old.

CALLM2U

My first thought is normally a conversation with the bird: "Ok I heard you, now pipe down so not every hunter in the area comes to you!" 

J.D. Shellnut

60% of the time it works every time!

Gentry

What a relief! Let the game begin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

avidnwoutdoorsman

Keep Calm and Gobble On!