Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Old Bob- New Turkey Hunter Just Rolled One From The Roost- Do You---

Started by quavers59, August 04, 2021, 03:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

For this Thread- let us say - Old Bob is in his mid-60s and lives in a NorthEastern State. A Lifetime Ruffed Grouse and Timberdoodle Hunter. Old Bob is a great " Wingshot".
    He is also a great Rifle Shot. Precise hits on D?er.They don't  go far before  Dropping.
   Old Bob just completed his 1st year of Turkey Hunting. He does not yet know how to use a Turkey Call. But Old Bob is a Great Woodsman.
   In the Spring- he slipped up Close to a Gobbling Tom in the open hardwoods and Rolled the Gobbler of the Róost. Bob's very 1st Turkey and he was overjoyed. Bob read the Regs of course and this was not illegal in his State.
    Now later that Fall- Old Bob was on his first Fall Turkey Hunt.The Public Field he was walking to had just had a combine come through 2 days before. All the Corn was harvested. Thêre was plenty of Corn laying in the Field after the combine got done though.
    Bob saw a Flock close to his position as he entered the Field. The Flock Scattered and 1 big Jake took to the Sky. Bob- ever the good wingshot swung his Shotgun up and gave a good lead on the Jake. Down that Jake crashed with a Heavy Thud. Again- Old Bob was Thrilled and the Wife would be as well.  Again - in reading the Regs carefully- Bob realized that a shot at a Flying Fall Turkey was legal.
    For this Thread- Would you Praise Bob or Hate on Him for a Spring Roost Shot and a Fall Turkey " wingshot" ?
  Being that this is Summer and " Slow"- thêre might be some responses to a Thread  different  from " Declining Populations".
    Enjoy the Summer All.

Gooserbat

Old Bob is a killer.  He's a legal hunter and well versed in killing, but he's just not learned the unwritten rules.  He can always post his exploits on a turkey fourm and quickly get a lesson on what not to do, and how there are many things more important than legally filling one's tag. Or Old Bob just might be a retired dump truck driver who is more concerned about how he feels towards things and doesn't give a fart in a whirlwind about some else's opinions.

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

eggshell

My first question for Bob would be, "you want my wife's recipe for turkey casserole?". After that I'd offer to take him along on a hunt sometime and explain I don't roost shoot, but hey if he wants to, go for it as long as it's legal.  Bob will develop his turkey hunting skills and ethics in time, I suppose his reply to a scolding would be, "go to hell, it's legal and I don't need your advice".  I think we lead newbies by example not by criticism.

Oh yeah, I have shot my share off the wing. I might challenge him on his wing shooting. I see no problem with someone knowing their skill set and using it.

jhoward11

Turning without using your signal is illegal, so is going 5 mph over the speed limit, but we all do it, because....who is it hurting? What's the big deal?  Bob really didn't hurt anyone, (other than the bird). Here's the big deal, It's being respectful to other to use your signal, and if you go 5mph over , next time it will be 10 untill it's unsafe and someone gets hurt. Shooting birds like that is like a gateway drug. What's next....shooting from the road, poaching at night ect... Hey Bob.. it's not always about the kill. Respect the sport, the animal, and others. Bye Bob

fallhnt

Ol' Bob needs to join OG so he can be flamed by old school hunter who know it all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

HookedonHooks

Ol Bob needs to roll over and die. If he doesn't turkey hunt the "right" way he's wasting oxygen in our turkey woods where the "real" turkey hunters should be.
:OGturkeyhead:

ManfromGreenSwamp

I want to hunt with you. You have good camp stories.

As far as Ol Bob, to each their own. Worry about yourself and your own mission in life. Unless of course Ol Bob is hurting others...then you hurt Bob.

Enjoyed reading your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

ol bob

Ol Bob is a member here, and has always said if its legal and you don't have a problem with it go for it and don't worry about what anyone says. If everyone went by theses rules this would be a more civil place.

Greg Massey

First off old Bob is not a hunter he's a turkey killer. Good luck old Bob , i hope one day you learn the true meaning of turkey hunting from us old school hunters on O G... I'm sure you will come up with some ridiculous side name like some do who cut us old school hunters down on OG...

guesswho

I would neither praise nor hate Ol' Bob.  If I saw Ol' Bob in town grabbing a bite to eat, I'd probably see if he minded if I joined him.  I have no problem with Ol' Bob unless he does Ol' Ronnie or his family wrong.  If he does, then me an Ol' Bob would probably have a private discussion.     
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

quavers59

Just to Clarify,I am not Old Bob. He is fictional for this Thread. No beginner either. Killed a big Truck load.
   I was interested in seeing varied replys to a subject never really talked about. And,I was not disapointed- lol.

guesswho

If Ol' Bob is a fictional character in a fictional story then I change my answer to fictional.   Put me down for whipping Ol" Bobs arse, twice.   Once for each  fictional scenario. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Tail Feathers

Quote from: guesswho on August 04, 2021, 02:09:00 PM
If Ol' Bob is a fictional character in a fictional story then I change my answer to fictional.   Put me down for whipping Ol" Bobs arse, twice.   Once for each  fictional scenario.  :funnyturkey:
I jumped right to "beat Bob with a stick" as my first thought. 
But that is often a first thought for me, no matter the topic. :TooFunny:  I'm becoming a contrary old fart. :z-guntootsmiley:

Actually, Bob needs someone to gently educate him in the ways of ethical and real fun turkey hunting.  He studied the law, he just needs a bit more turkey learning.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: guesswho on August 04, 2021, 02:09:00 PM
If Ol' Bob is a fictional character in a fictional story then I change my answer to fictional.   Put me down for whipping Ol" Bobs arse, twice.   Once for each  fictional scenario.
Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Legal? Yes.
Ethical for most experienced turkey hunters? No.
After congratulating Bob for his success, I would explain to him the thrills of turkey hunting in the usual way. I would offer him an opportunity to tag along with me and try it out.
Then regardless of what he chose to do, I would wish him the best of luck on his future "legal"  hunts. Why would I chastise Bob for employing a method of hunting that his state deemed to be legal?

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.