News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The numbers don’t lie

Started by arkrem870, July 30, 2021, 07:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

Quote from: FL-Boss on July 31, 2021, 08:24:09 PM
X2 ... with everything leaning more and more left/woke... I wouldn't worry about YouTube much. I suspect anything related to guns and hunting to be banned from YouTube in the near future. 
I don't hunt public and don't have a dog in this fight.. but if you want to blame something, blame the hunt apps like OnX, etc.  That really ruined it for so many local guys that had their favorite public land honey holes..

Quote from: turkeyfool on July 31, 2021, 07:56:03 PM
As kind of a side note, with the way bannings are going in non-hunting spaces, I actually wouldn't at all be surprised if they banned hunting from YouTube within 2 years

30 years ago I didn't need Onx to tell me where I would likely find Turkey's. All it took was a topo map, a plat book and a little footwork. 20 years ago Google earth got into the mix. Onx has just combined them for me. Saves a lot time trying find maps and plat books but not really because they are available online now. The footwork is still the same. The reason honey holes are lost is because more people are out looking for them.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

turkeyfool

Yeah I mean I see both sides when it comes to OnX. Overall I think it's a great app. It's been a lifesaver for me not only scouting but also even just getting out of the woods or driving around areas without service. It's certainly gotten more popular because of YouTube but I'm not sure that OnX in itself has been the fault of declining populations. It's just a factor. I think you'll also find more guys in the south are ticked about the travelling turkey hunting deal than the northern states

Paulmyr

Quote from: turkeyfool on July 31, 2021, 09:15:17 PM
Yeah I mean I see both sides when it comes to OnX. Overall I think it's a great app. It's been a lifesaver for me not only scouting but also even just getting out of the woods or driving around areas without service. It's certainly gotten more popular because of YouTube but I'm not sure that OnX in itself has been the fault of declining populations. It's just a factor. I think you'll also find more guys in the south are ticked about the travelling turkey hunting deal than the northern states
I would imagine so on the traveling turkey hunting thing. The saying in the duck hunting community is "nobody hates a duck hunter more than another duck hunter." I think it could be modified to "nobody hates a duck hunter more than the guy hunting next to him."
As far as the Onx thing goes I think it's more technology and the internet combined. Onx is just an easy scapegoat.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

catman529

Quote from: simpzenith on July 31, 2021, 10:24:18 AM
I listened to it but quickly realized the guest was simply one the YT bashers from this forum hiding behind a pseudonym and repeating the same stuff that they post in this forum. If you keep up with this forum, then you've already seen everything that'll be discussed in the podcast.
I'll take your word for it seeing what I've seen here. I thought I was selfish till I saw some of the stuff posted on forums....I understand it sucks seeing more people in your woods every year, but it's not just the woods, it's the whole country and the whole world. Human population keeps going up, hunter population needs to keep going up if we want any say in the future of hunting. Yea it sucks bag limits will go down and seasons will shorten, but it is what it is. Let's just enjoy what we got, life is still good. I've heard more good than bad about the turkey hatch this year, so there's something to be positive about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

catman529

Quote from: mrclif on July 31, 2021, 11:54:52 AM
We should write and call our state officials to quit using our funds to pay influencers to reduce us as residents opportunities to hunt the public lands we hunted all our lives. Like they said one call is not going to do it.
They've destroyed our seasons n Alabama Tennessee and Georgia. I suggest they charge fees for  videoing on public grounds. I'm thankful for these guys bringing this podcast to a larger audience for discussion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I've hunted Alabama and Tennessee quite a bit, and they haven't destroyed anything. Maybe been a little slow to change regulations, but the hunting is still good. Several years back it was legal to kill 6 hens per county in Tennessee during the fall season. I killed a few and had fun, but I'm glad they did away with that. It's not as bad as y'all would like to think.

turkeyfool

Quote from: catman529 on July 31, 2021, 10:19:35 PM
Quote from: mrclif on July 31, 2021, 11:54:52 AM
We should write and call our state officials to quit using our funds to pay influencers to reduce us as residents opportunities to hunt the public lands we hunted all our lives. Like they said one call is not going to do it.
They've destroyed our seasons n Alabama Tennessee and Georgia. I suggest they charge fees for  videoing on public grounds. I'm thankful for these guys bringing this podcast to a larger audience for discussion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I've hunted Alabama and Tennessee quite a bit, and they haven't destroyed anything. Maybe been a little slow to change regulations, but the hunting is still good. Several years back it was legal to kill 6 hens per county in Tennessee during the fall season. I killed a few and had fun, but I'm glad they did away with that. It's not as bad as y'all would like to think.

While I do agreement with the overall point of the thread, I'll also say that from watching your videos, it's pretty easy to see that you do it just because you love it. Anyone who's categorizing your videos as pimping out states is nuts. The thing that's tough about this subject is that 99.9% of the guys who regularly post YouTube turkey hunting videos seem like good dudes. But some states are getting hammered and there's multiple factors. Some states in particular (Miss) probably do get dinged from the video attention just simply due to the fact that it's an early start, people are ready to go, etc

Stoeger_bird

Catman thats what i would say too if someone brought  to light the negatives of "my side hustle". After what u have turned your local wma into from your youtube videos I would sit this one fella.
T.W.D.W.D.

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: catman529 on July 31, 2021, 10:16:10 PM
I listened to it but quickly realized the guest was simply one the YT bashers from this forum hiding behind a pseudonym and repeating the same stuff that they post in this forum. If you keep up with this forum, then you've already seen everything that'll be discussed in the podcast.
I'll take your word for it seeing what I've seen here. I thought I was selfish till I saw some of the stuff posted on forums....I understand it sucks seeing more people in your woods every year, but it's not just the woods, it's the whole country and the whole world. Human population keeps going up, hunter population needs to keep going up if we want any say in the future of hunting. Yea it sucks bag limits will go down and seasons will shorten, but it is what it is. Let's just enjoy what we got, life is still good. I've heard more good than bad about the turkey hatch this year, so there's something to be positive about.

I would genuinely like to hear your opinion on one main point discussed in the podcast.  Do you think it's good practice for states to use state funds to pay YouTube videographers to promote public land turkey hunting in states with obvious turkey population declines?   Do you think this directly correlates to an increase in hunting pressure on public lands, thus playing a role in the reduced hunter opportunity with an increase in restrictions such as reduced bag limits and season lengths?   Not the sole reason, but a role? 

Paulmyr

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on July 31, 2021, 11:44:50 PM

I would genuinely like to hear your opinion on one main point discussed in the podcast.  Do you think it's good practice for states to use state funds to pay YouTube videographers to promote public land turkey hunting in states with obvious turkey population declines?   Do you think this directly correlates to an increase in hunting pressure on public lands, thus playing a role in the reduced hunter opportunity with an increase in restrictions such as reduced bag limits and season lengths?   Not the sole reason, but a role?
I know this question isn't for me but I'm going to throw out my input. Shane stated in an earlier post he was offered money by the dept of tourism for a state which he declined. After listening to the podcast it is clear and I think falsely so that the hosts think wildlife management is responsible for trying to promote hunting in their states. Dept's of tourism are most likely the culprit. Do you really think the gal in the tourism dept checked with the wildlife division before she cut a check to a promote tourism in her state through turkey hunting or if she even cares about the results to said wildlife for that matter. Her goal was to increase tourism. It's her job and she was very successful in the case of Tenn. That comes back to the point of Turkey's belonging to all residents of Tenn not just the hunters. Food for thought

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: Paulmyr on August 01, 2021, 12:02:03 AM
Quote from: El Pavo Grande on July 31, 2021, 11:44:50 PM

I know this question isn't for me but I'm going to throw out my input. Shane stated in an earlier post he was offered money by the dept of tourism for a state which he declined. After listening to the podcast it is clear and I think falsely so that the hosts think wildlife management is responsible for trying to promote hunting in their states. Dept's of tourism are most likely the culprit. Do you really think the gal in the tourism dept checked with the wildlife division before she cut a check to a promote tourism in her state through turkey hunting or if she even cares about the results to said wildlife for that matter. Her goal was to increase tourism. It's her job and she was very successful in the case of Tenn. That comes back to the point of Turkey's belonging to all residents of Tenn not just the hunters. Food for thought
So you truly believe 100% that the TWRA had no clue?  I would think there is about a ZERO chance of that.  Just an opinion. 

Paulmyr

Knowing government, I think there's a good chance they didn't know until after the fact. Ronald Reagan said it best. The worst words you can hear is " I'm from the government and I'm here to help!"

Paulmyr

Quote from: Paulmyr on August 01, 2021, 12:28:11 AM
Knowing government, I think there's a good chance they didn't know until after the fact. Ronald Reagan said it best. The worst words you can hear is " I'm from the government and I'm here to help!"
Even if they did know would it be possible for them to stop it?

Spurs Up

Let's go ahead dispel the silly notion that tubers are doing us some political service by bringing more hunters into the fold. Hunters make up less than 4 percent of the the U.S. population. If we increased the number ten-fold, we would still be a minority. What percentage do we need to "have a say" and what would the turkey woods look like then?

sasquatch1

I watch every one of them but I'm not blind to what's it's done. I turkey hunted long before those videos but a huge portion of the new pressure didn't. And def didn't on public because my god, public was terrible so they never even struck out to look. These videos showed them the proof that there's birds on public so then off they went.

It's no diff then most of our friends. They all say they wanna hunt but how many strike out blind?? VERY few. However when one strikes out and does good, THEN all of a sudden many many friends wanna go. See, it's been proven therefore now they willing to go. Shortcuts, it's all about shortcuts, This is what the videos did for people.

To the questions

-If it doesn't do the harm people say in y'all's eyes, why don't y'all post the exact wmas your hunting? Or better yet to direct to certain ones, why did you STOP posting your hunt location?? See I've openly recommended places too, and I can tell you now it won't happen and hasn't for quite some time, I screwed up and learned and can admit it! Now my info stays between 2-3 close people who I trust because we feel the same about how valuable some hunting spots can now be.

- secondly if we need more hunters to have a say so, how is that going to work for us when the hunting quality/experience gets so bad we start LOSING hunters??? The ones we'd likely lose are the old school fellas who prob would have the loudest voice also!

Fdept56

As far as tourism vs game and fish departments, I know for a fact I have seen one of the more popular youtube crews partner with game and fish departments in two different states. One was in deer season and one was in turkey season. I've went back recently to try to find proof and can't but it was 100% there. I'm assuming they left it up for as short of time as possible because they knew it wasn't right.