OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Playing Calls

Started by Greg Massey, July 16, 2021, 10:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

So who has been playing calls?  Have any of you been practicing?  What calls have you been playing?   I never stop playing them myself..  Confess up if you have or haven't ..  I've been playing pot calls, boxes and push pins ..

packmule

Yes! Longboxes and trumpets nearly every day!

HookedonHooks

Trumpets daily, and boxes and pots every few when I'm extra bored.

I'm determined to be able to kee kee on a trumpet by the end of summer with total confidence in the sound I will be making 100% of the time. It's something I can/know how to do, but not with total confidence and have yet to use it in the woods. For the more seasoned trumpet guys, you may understand or maybe the kee kee came more natural for you. It's such a basic element of drawing air, but consistency is the difficult part for me to confidently add it the arsenal. That being said, you don't need more than clucks and yelps, and I know a pile of turkeys this spring that wouldn't have told you otherwise.

vt35mag

I play short boxes nearly every day I am home.
I have been playing a trumpet/wingbone everyday for the past month. I want to be solid with those calls for next spring.

Jimspur

Trumpet and pot calls everyday.

Mossberg90MN

I run a mouth call all year. Normally use a batwing, working a combo cut at the moment. Every now and then I grab my slate call. But the mouth calls are a constant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

I rarely practice calling from shortly after the end of spring gobbler season until sometime after the first of the year when I start daydreaming about the upcoming spring season.  It is a long nine months from the end of this turkey season to the beginning of next spring's season and, quite honestly, I want to be distracted by something else.  I hunt a variety of fall and winter game, and focusing on those makes the time between spring seasons go by faster for me.  Spending a lot of time turkey calling would only make the time go by much slower, I fear.   :-[

Tom007

Every time I walk past my call cabinet, I hit the pushpins, pot calls. You can never practice enough......
"Solo hunter"

Meleagris gallopavo

I mess around with some when I get a new striker or pot call.  I wouldn't call it practice.  I definitely do need to practice though.  I start practicing with diaphragm calls after Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Brad_Colvin

I run a call almost daily. I drive a truck for a living so I have a lot of time to practice. Have mouth calls and a trumpet in the cab with me every day.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

I played a few today, demonstrating them for my great nephews.  I really need to practice a lot more on a trumpet. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Yoder409

Box calls.............almost every day.

I don't discriminate and never know which I may pick up............
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Zobo

I've been practicing on a Richard Hudson henbox. Of course it started annoying the whole family. So now I take it in the car and play it at red lights. I get a lot of strange looks which makes it even more rewarding.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

grayfox

crow

Playing, whose playing

practicing is some serious business