turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Would You Still Go?

Started by joey46, June 20, 2021, 02:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Gus715

I've hunted one bird states in the past and will continue to do so in the future. The experience of the hunt far outweighs the need to kill multiple turkey's on a hunt, to justify the cost, time and distance traveled.

Hook hanger

I've killed 2, 3, and 4 in one sit. And I honestly don't enjoy  carrying out 100lbs extra on my back for over a mile. I  would just soon kill 1 than to do that foolishness again. If a state allows more than 1 gobbler by all means I'm going to go after another but after I clean the first one at the truck/camp. I honestly enjoy the states that are a one bird limit and it wouldn't stop me from hunting them again.

dzsmith

makes absolutely no difference. theres a 99% chance its one and done for me in any given state anyway. Perhaps if its a paid hunt which is rare , but lets use texas as an example where you kind of are paying for a multi bird hunt then yes it matters as a paying customer. I wish my state would limit non res to 1 bird.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Cowboy

Yes. It's not about the limit for me. It's about the hunt. The way it should be....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jhoward11

The chase (aka...learning experience's), gets me excited more than a kill. 1 and done is good for me.

Gooserbat

Yes I'd go.  Probably have a plan for stopping by another state on the way home.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

simpzenith

Heck yeah, I'm still going. I'm happy with one bird in any state that I travel to, no matter the total bag limit. I'm just thrilled to be hunting.

Transporting: I drive everywhere I hunt so I use coolers to transport the birds. I carry a vacuum sealer with me and package all of my meat with it. Makes for a much more compact and efficient way to pack the meat in the coolers, especially on those long, multi-state trips when I might harvest multiple gobblers. It's especially nice when I return home and all I have to do is move the packages to the freezer.

lacire

Quote from: joey46 on June 20, 2021, 02:00:59 PM
Curious - If planning an out of state hunt would it make any difference if you were only allowed one bird even if residents could kill two or more.?  For me - no - I think I may be more selective and just be happy to be there.  A secondary reason is the transport of game.  When planning a trip last May to WY a concern was, if successful, how to get the bird from Denver to Tampa on an airliner.  I was planning on a soft cooler and a fee for an extra bag.  Going to be a hassle.  Multiple birds would have increased the problem.  Side note - while planning this trip I talked with a ranch manager about a non-guided hunt.  When she heard I was coming from Florida she asked if I was driving.  She hoped I was since she had several clients from fall antelope hunts that still had meat in storage lockers.  They flew in and didn't consider how to get the meat home.  Ooops.  One bird would be plenty for me.  Tagging out on day one would make me a tourist or observer to others in the group.  Not a big deal.

Yes I would go and I did last month. It wasn't about the bag limit or filling the tag it's because our awesome God created us for the adventure.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

turkeyfool

I feel like if you go out of state for a short trip and you're already thinking about multiple birds, you'll probably come home without one. Just my experience

Which Gun

I'm going. I'm very happy with one bird. Just the chance I called him within range and let him walk knowing I could have taken is as much fun for me.

TauntoHawk

Yes, absolutely the way I hunt now. if I were to use an outfitter then no

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Crghss

The out of state hunts I currently do have 1 bird limits. So yes, I would/will.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

mtns2hunt

I enjoy the hunt and I like multiple birds. If it were going to a one bird destination I would swing by another state or two. Reason being I have planned the hunt, spent the money and time so would maximize my efforts. Why can you not enjoy the hunt while harvesting multiple birds? I can lay around at home but never on a hunt.

Same thing with big game I am going after multiple animals and will hunt hard. Sitting in camp "no way."
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Kyle_Ott

I'd absolutely still go and I'd happily pay MORE to offset the revenue that would be lost from hunters who wouldn't buy the license.

The more I hunt the more I appreciate quality experiences.  More turkey seen and more turkeys heard is what I enjoy the most.  Sadly, we move farther and farther away from that each year in many places around the country.

saltysenior

Just go.....throw a rock at your first bird and then you can shoot the second.......It's all about calling them up , right ?