OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Would You Still Go?

Started by joey46, June 20, 2021, 02:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joey46

Curious - If planning an out of state hunt would it make any difference if you were only allowed one bird even if residents could kill two or more.?  For me - no - I think I may be more selective and just be happy to be there.  A secondary reason is the transport of game.  When planning a trip last May to WY a concern was, if successful, how to get the bird from Denver to Tampa on an airliner.  I was planning on a soft cooler and a fee for an extra bag.  Going to be a hassle.  Multiple birds would have increased the problem.  Side note - while planning this trip I talked with a ranch manager about a non-guided hunt.  When she heard I was coming from Florida she asked if I was driving.  She hoped I was since she had several clients from fall antelope hunts that still had meat in storage lockers.  They flew in and didn't consider how to get the meat home.  Ooops.  One bird would be plenty for me.  Tagging out on day one would make me a tourist or observer to others in the group.  Not a big deal.

lunghit

I would definitely still go if the limit was one bird. Wouldn't bother me in the least. Once tagged out it's time to relax around the camp, do some fishing and just enjoy being away from the everyday life. I killed my one antelope in Wyoming and one bear in Maine and really enjoyed just being in camp with many others after the hunt . That's where some of the best memories are made. The actual kill means very little to me these days.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

GobbleNut

I would absolutely still go.  One bird is plenty.  I never go on a hunt where I am thinking about killing more than one gobbler.  It is always about the hunt, not about the body count.  I would be just fine with one-bird limits for nonresidents in all states.  I would, however, try to have a "contingency plan" in place to jump to another state if I was on a long trip and killed that single bird early in the hunt.   

Greg Massey

Agree, it's all about the hunt and seeing new ground and meeting people.. I would definitely go..

paboxcall

Definitely would go. Wouldn't change my attitude at all. One's plenty, though as mentioned I might jump the state line and hunt / explore new ground.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Wigsplitter

I would still go with a one bird limit- I like to enjoy the scenery and maybe go with a buddy to call or watch !

wvmntnhick

I've never hunted birds in a state that I couldn't drive to in a couple hours. Having said that, I plan to start. REALLY SOON!!! Highly doubt it would change my mind at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

I hunted 3 states this year with a single bird limit, resident or non resident!  It is basically a matter of convenience!

fallhnt

No

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Neill_Prater

Honestly, it would depend on the distance for me if I was hunting solo. I drive a minimum of 2,000 miles each year to hunt Alabama, and have on many occasions, bagged only one bird, and a few times, come home without firing a shot. That's fine, because I hunt with my buddy who lives there, so the trip is as much social as it is a hunting trip.

I would probably not drive that far to camp in the woods by myself with a one bird limit.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

rakkin6

Yes I would go! I live in Tennessee and let's say I went to Nebraska for a Merriam and flew to Omaha. I would donate the meat and just get the tail, beard and spurs mounted. And pay for the shipping from a a taxidermist to Tennessee. Has long has the meat doesn't go to waste and goes to someone that wants or needs it I see no problem. Where I live we are overrun with deer and can kill three does a day. I typically kill 3 to 4 extra does a year and donate them to the Hunters for the Hungry program in Tennessee and on Fort Campbell Army Base for the lower ranking soldiers with families. A couple of does worth of meat can mean a lot to some of these young soldiers with families and those in need in my community.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Roost 1

Yes I would and I currently do...

eggshell

I would still go. It's the trip more than the bird.

On transporting

I pack a canvas bag of my gear and put it in a 32 qt cooler taped shut and that is my checked bag. If I kill a bird or birds on a hunt and I can freeze  it I do. When I come home I put sealed bags of ice in the bottom and my turkey meat on it and usually still have room for my gear bag in a garbage bag to protect from moisture. If not I just check it. It's all in the cost of a hunt. I always take duct tape to seal up the cooler. I have my name, address, and phone number written in permanent ink on the cooler lid. I put a description of the meat (species, sex etc.), place killed, date and any license info in a zip lock bag just under the lid. Never had a question or problem. The meat is cold and secure when I arrive. I have had a couple times I can tell the cooler was opened and resealed with TSA tape, but no one ever asked me about it. Just take care of the details and you'll do fine. I bet you could pack a whole doe deer, boned out, in a cooler.  My buddy and I have had as many as 4 gobblers in the cooler. We debone all ours.

Mossberg90MN

Yea I would still go. and the soft cooler i think is just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WV Flopper

If I were planning on a one state hunt, that would probably define the hunt. I would look towards another state to hunt. With the exception of Florida, you can find a hunt with a multiple turkey limit of all subspecies. For now, Florida has a multiple bird limit.

I have made a friend in Florida, this may be the exception. I enjoy his company, and hanging out with him. I am ready to hunt and this is the earliest I can get in the woods. So for now, I love Florida. One bird in Florida wouldn't matter to me.

I hunt along, if I leave my house to hunt turkeys, I am 90% alone. If I drive 1500 miles, believe me, I come to kill turkeys. If I drive 100 miles, I come to kill turkeys. If I walk out my backdoor, I come to kill turkeys. I am not going to in the near future, spend 2-3K to kill one turkey, when I can go elsewhere and kill more. To me that's just dumb.

With the above comment of being dumb. Let me expand on that. I, as most of us, have a limited amount of time I can hunt. If I plan a out of state hunt, I plan for the worse case. I plan of turkeys being tough. I plan on bad weather. I plan on dumb people in the woods. I plan on this effecting my hunt! I also plan on killing a turkey, or more. I give myself maximum time to do this, "Vacation time". How can you account for killing a turkey on the first day 15 minutes into the season? You stop? You go home? Months of preparation/scouting, you go home? This may work for the people paying a guide, but I do not, I am DIY. I am sorry, I enjoy flopping turkeys. I will seek out a place with a more liberal bag limit. They will get my money.

I go turkey hunting to kill turkeys, or get them killed. That is what I enjoy about turkey hunting, that is the culmination of the hunt. When the majority of the states adopt a 1 bird limit, I will concede. Until then I will hunt states with a multiple bird limit.