OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TN Non-Resident Turkey License Sales: Doubled for 2021 Season!

Started by deerhunt1988, June 15, 2021, 02:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyfool

That was a really the only problem I had with THP-when I realized they were getting paid to push license sales in TN and talk about what a good deal it was. And then go to other states and do the same

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

AndyN

Heck that's only 10-15% of KS NR sales. I may have to start travelling east if that's a bad year for pressure.

Shiloh

Yelpster

this trend is likely to be seen across many states. the draw to extend seasons and find states that are non res friendly will continue to put pressure on turkeys that cant be sustained

J-Shaped

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on June 16, 2021, 01:45:23 AM
Quote from: drake799 on June 15, 2021, 11:43:37 PM
I remember Aaron from THP talking about how TN NR license was such a good deal or maybe the best deal in the country   Got 4 turkeys(at the time) and all the deer you could kill.  Now look at us LOL.  we've got more hunters than turkeys    Tn needs do away with the 7 day license and make everyone pony up the big money if they wanna hunt.    Oosers will still come

Well, TWRA did actually partner up with them for all that advertising. As well as Alabama DNR and Iowa DNR. Reckon TWRA hit their license goal # from the "partnership" AKA advertisement?

AL public land hunters really got the shaft. DNR partnership with THP to sell more licenses and encourage more hunters to use WMAs and therefore buy more WMA permits. Then after the season "Oops, our public lands got a problem.  Better drastically reduce opportunity to save the turkey and alleviate pressure!" Not a good look for Bama DNR. Kind of ironic for THP to partner with a state and then immediately lose a tremendous amount of public land opportunity there.

TN is great at exploiting our game and fish resources for the almighty dollar. It started with promoting the harvest of 3 does a day over the course of a 3.5 month long season in what continues to be a growing list of counties by adding a supplemental license charge. People thought that since it was legal to kill that many does, it obviously was ok because the state said so. And when we began to feel those effects on the deer herd the state never let up on the limits.

Then we wound up with CWD, which upon initial detection was already at one of the highest prevalence rates in the entire country, in one of the best deer regions in the state. They estimate it had been here 10-12 years before detection - despite concern from hunters and land managers that were observing drastic changes in our deer herd over that timespan. I've seen personally how that's being addressed and won't digress on a turkey forum.

But all that to say, the state is on a fast track to exploiting our turkeys in the same/similar  fashion, and to what end? We can't even get the commission to acknowledge that in a state as ecologically diverse as TN from the western river bottoms to the eastern mountains, that a one-size fits all turkey program is not sustainable. I could go on, but to see the areas I hunt go from virtually no birds 30 years ago to the boom we saw in the late 90's - early 2000's to what it's digressed to today, and the commission to essentially take a wait and see approach, while promoting the remaining resource is concerning.

I don't claim to have all the answers to what is a complex problem, and I don't think taking away opportunity is the answer (days in the field), but neither is essentially promoting a resource that's on the decline.

And I'm not dogging on nonresidents at all. I hunt all over the country for turkey and other big game.

All that to say, none of this comes as a surprise to me.

WW

simpzenith

2536 non-resident licenses sold? That sure doesn't seem like much at all. With all the complaining from some on this forum, you'd think that number should have been tens of thousands.  ::)

deadbuck

The 2021 non resident hunters must have been very unsuccessful compared to the 2020 hunters if harvest dropped from 40,000 to 32,000 while the number of hunters doubled from 2020 to 2021. If this is a trend developing, 2022 and beyond are going to be terrible.

catman529

Quote from: deadbuck on June 18, 2021, 10:35:00 AM
The 2021 non resident hunters must have been very unsuccessful compared to the 2020 hunters if harvest dropped from 40,000 to 32,000 while the number of hunters doubled from 2020 to 2021. If this is a trend developing, 2022 and beyond are going to be terrible.
Last year there were more local hunters in the woods than ever before. This year, many of them were back to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

deerhunt1988

Just received the annual license sales for non-residents during the months of March-May.
Comparisons are shown below.

Highlights:

45% in total non-resident license sales compared to 2017-2019 average
2020 did have an effect on non-residents traveling
2017-2019 was extremely stable

deerhunt1988

Quote from: simpzenith on June 18, 2021, 09:24:34 AM
2536 non-resident licenses sold? That sure doesn't seem like much at all. With all the complaining from some on this forum, you'd think that number should have been tens of thousands.  ::)

2,536 7-day licenses sold
5,689 total licenses sold

~1,700 more non-resident turkey hunters than the previous years. Probably half of those would be coming the first 10 days of Tennessee's season. The majority would be hunting public land.

The addition of ~800 more non-resident turkey hunters during the opening week of TN's season on public lands is rather substantial. Especially considering portions of TN already had some of the most pressured public land in the .

Yeah, no effect on hunting quality at all!  ::)

Roost 1

I've bought a NR Res TN license for prolly 25yrs but if they lower the turkey limit to 2, I'm done.
There's the answer to that problem.

Jimspur

Quote from: Roost 1 on June 18, 2021, 02:45:47 PM
I've bought a NR Res TN license for prolly 25yrs but if they lower the turkey limit to 2, I'm done.
There's the answer to that problem.

When they drop bag limits, or limit the number of birds you can take
early in the season etcetera, they almost have to reduce the license
prices. If they don't people will stop going to that particular state.
They can't keep taking away opportunity while charging you the same
price.

Maybe that's what they want in the end - to reduce out-of-state hunter
numbers.

arkrem870

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on June 18, 2021, 11:15:11 AM
Quote from: simpzenith on June 18, 2021, 09:24:34 AM

2,536 7-day licenses sold
5,689 total licenses sold

~1,700 more non-resident turkey hunters than the previous years. Probably half of those would be coming the first 10 days of Tennessee's season. The majority would be hunting public land.

The addition of ~800 more non-resident turkey hunters during the opening week of TN's season on public lands is rather substantial. Especially considering portions of TN already had some of the most pressured public land in the .

Yeah, no effect on hunting quality at all!  ::)

Easy now.....your gonna have the loose lip YouTube turkey pimps all upset with those numbers and such.