Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TN Non-Resident Turkey License Sales: Doubled for 2021 Season!

Started by deerhunt1988, June 15, 2021, 02:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

Utilized the power of public information to obtain these numbers on 7-day all game license sales for the months of March - May.  Pretty staggering!

Ignoring the drop in sales from COVID travel, still a 70% increase from 2019.

shatcher

Follow the $.  TN total harvest of 2021 right at 33,000 birds, down from 40,000 in 2020.  4 bird limit (ridiculous) in 2020 dropped to 3 birds (still too high) in 2021.  TN will harvest itself to dismal numbers before long.  6 week season is ridiculous too.  I don't know what the TWRA is thinking.  Oh, follow the $.

Brockl12

Sales went up  during covid.. everybody and there brother has hunted turkey season the last 2 years.. Tennessee never had any regulations or restrictions due to covid..

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Agree , lot more people hunted in 2020 than in 2021 in Tennessee for turkey, no way you can compare last years 2020 turkey harvest as a normal year. .. Nothing wrong with the bag limits in Tennessee now.. TWRA gives you the tools to hunt, in saying this, it doesn't mean that because they give you bag limit you have to kill that total number ... IMO...  Nothing wrong with 6 week season either .. IMO ..

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Brockl12 on June 15, 2021, 03:37:33 PM
Sales went up  during covid.. everybody and there brother has hunted turkey season the last 2 years.. Tennessee never had any regulations or restrictions due to covid..

No, 7-day non-resident license sales did not. The data is right there.

Perhaps resident sales did. We all know the woods were way more crowded with so many people off work.

Brockl12

Your probably right about that..if I were gonna get non resident I would get the year myself..

jtg88

shatcher

Need 2 bag limit and 4 week season for a while.  IMO. I never killed 4 in a year off my farm when I could have.

Howie g

Apparently all the traveling soldiers went straight from Mississippi to ole rocky top !!
    Most of you fellas know why the out of state #s in the mid to upper states have sky rocketed .
All you have to do is click on " turkey hunt" you tube ....nuff said

Crghss

Like too see the numbers for Non-resident yearly license. That would give you a clearer picture.

I guessing 2020 would have the highest # yearly NR licenses, could be wrong.

But double the # of NR licenses in 2021....times are a changing.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

arkrem870

The power of social media and YouTube.   The chickens are coming home to roost.

Jbird22

An OBVIOUS solution would be for states to do away with the 7 day "trip licenses" and require non-residents to purchase  yearly licenses.

drake799

I remember Aaron from THP talking about how TN NR license was such a good deal or maybe the best deal in the country   Got 4 turkeys(at the time) and all the deer you could kill.  Now look at us LOL.  we've got more hunters than turkeys    Tn needs do away with the 7 day license and make everyone pony up the big money if they wanna hunt.    Oosers will still come

deerhunt1988

Quote from: drake799 on June 15, 2021, 11:43:37 PM
I remember Aaron from THP talking about how TN NR license was such a good deal or maybe the best deal in the country   Got 4 turkeys(at the time) and all the deer you could kill.  Now look at us LOL.  we've got more hunters than turkeys    Tn needs do away with the 7 day license and make everyone pony up the big money if they wanna hunt.    Oosers will still come

Well, TWRA did actually partner up with them for all that advertising. As well as Alabama DNR and Iowa DNR. Reckon TWRA hit their license goal # from the "partnership" AKA advertisement?

AL public land hunters really got the shaft. DNR partnership with THP to sell more licenses and encourage more hunters to use WMAs and therefore buy more WMA permits. Then after the season "Oops, our public lands got a problem.  Better drastically reduce opportunity to save the turkey and alleviate pressure!" Not a good look for Bama DNR. Kind of ironic for THP to partner with a state and then immediately lose a tremendous amount of public land opportunity there.

joey46

Has anyone mentioned that several states shut off non-res license sales last year because of covid.  Without looking it up I think KY, OH, IL, MT, HI just to name a few. That had to play a major role in concentrating hunters in states that didn't.  Of those just mentioned I know KY and OH require a full pop license not a short term license for a non-res to turkey hunt.  Living here in FL, where the southern half of the state is always hammered anyway, resident guys are genuinely ticked that a cheap short term license can be used.  They did finally raise the price of the turkey license but it is still not a bad deal.  Lots of politics involved everywhere.