turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thinking about .410 for next year

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, June 13, 2021, 04:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

I'm thinking about a single shot .410 next year.  Looking at the thumbhole stock versions of the Rossi Tuffy and Savage 301.  I like these little single shots because they're simple, light and handy, less expensive, shells are less expensive, and seemingly effective.  I got to thinking about these after I posted in the "how many extra shells do you carry" thread.  I only carry 2 shells, one in the gun and one just because.  Plus I watched a friend of mine kill a turkey with a .410 his year and it barely flopped. 

Do any of you have the Savage 301 or the Rossi Tuffy?  The thumbhole stock is new to the 301.  They both come with 26" barrels, but the overall gun length is short so I don't see the need to shorten the barrel.  Both come with rail mounts but I'd almost prefer putting a Sumtoy base on the gun.

Any experiences or thoughts on these guns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

owlhoot

Try in the turkey gun section 16,28 and 410 turkey guns, some reports in ther

guesswho

I like mine a lot.  I had my doubts, but quickly put those to rest.   I didn't like the tail mount so I put a mount like the Sumtoy.  Lowered the Vortex perfect.   I know a lot of people use the Yildiz 410.   Killed a good size hog with mine at 25 yards and TSS 9 1/2's.   That got rid of all my doubts, plus killed a couple turkeys in the 30-40 yard range.   Got a cell phone clip of the hog kill.   If you want to see it pm me.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Brad_Colvin

I have the 301 and really enjoy it. I killed 4 gobblers with it at ranges between 18-38 yards and I never felt like I needed a follow up. I do use a rifle cartridge stock sleeve with 3 or 4 shells in it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

bigriverbum

got one with the bushnell tr-25 on it. i've never been bothered that it rides kind of high off the included rail. i think the length of pull against the overall size of the gun is very big, so i like the higher mount.

it likes the federal 9's best, but browning shells do decent in it.

mine has killed 7 birds in 2 years.  i feel completely comfortable shooting up to 40 yards with it. shot one at 42 yards in a field this year. he never even flopped.

i put a sleeve on the stock and put 2 extra shells in it when i sit down(i've noticed the shell holders getting loose this year and i lost a few federals) i was able to make a follow up shot for a nephew this year pretty easily with that set up.

i'm glad i purchased it for my nephews and i love hunting with it. may have to buy another when the boys get old enough to handle a weapon on their own

Meleagris gallopavo

Since it's a single shot and the barrel chamber is further back than it would be on a pump or semi-auto I don't think there will be a need to have the barrel shortened.  Heck, both guns are cheap enough that I could buy both for the price of one of the less expensive semi-autos.  I'd have to get one more red dot sight though.  May be fun to just mess around with chokes and loads on both guns.  Been spending some time in the gun section reviewing posts (per owlhoots suggestion) on these guns and there's some good info in there.  Sure will be a big change from the 835 for sure!

Greg Massey

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on June 13, 2021, 06:40:23 PM
Since it's a single shot and the barrel chamber is further back than it would be on a pump or semi-auto I don't think there will be a need to have the barrel shortened.  Heck, both guns are cheap enough that I could buy both for the price of one of the less expensive semi-autos.  I'd have to get one more red dot sight though.  May be fun to just mess around with chokes and loads on both guns.  Been spending some time in the gun section reviewing posts (per owlhoots suggestion) on these guns and there's some good info in there.  Sure will be a big change from the 835 for sure!

I will agree with you it's a cheaper gun, but more than likely you will have 200 dollars for the gun and 100 dollars for better choke and whatever the cost of optic in the total cost of the gun.. Why i know, i have one and if i had it to do over i wouldn't of bought the gun, especially after you see what little is holding the rail to the barrel. My suggestion is buy you a better 410 i wish i had.  I also have one in 20 ga. don't care for it either. IMO...  Yes i agree, you get what you pay for..

Yoder409

I've not handled the Savage, Yildiz, Rossi, etc............  So I can't compare.  But I'm a solid fan of the H&R / NEF guns.  My 20 gauge has been nothing but a brick s@#thouse for reliability and a joy to use.  The .410 I'm currently setting up is, likewise, a rambo little gun.  I had a Weaver rail installed on it.  It's wearing a cheap 30mm tube red dot right now for playin with.   With the factory, fixed full barrel, it's ALREADY 40 yard capable with the federal 9's.  I'm fixing to send the barrel off to William and have him wave his magic wand over it.   
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

dirtnap

I have a .410 Remington 870 youth model with 25" fixed full barrel.  It is topped with a plain bead like all my guns.  It will kill one.  You should be good with whatever you decide on.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Greg Massey on June 13, 2021, 07:04:07 PM
Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on June 13, 2021, 06:40:23 PM

I will agree with you it's a cheaper gun, but more than likely you will have 200 dollars for the gun and 100 dollars for better choke and whatever the cost of optic in the total cost of the gun.. Why i know, i have one and if i had it to do over i wouldn't of bought the gun, especially after you see what little is holding the rail to the barrel. My suggestion is buy you a better 410 i wish i had.  I also have one in 20 ga. don't care for it either. IMO...  Yes i agree, you get what you pay for..
I don't disagree.  I don't think any little single-shot is going to be very expensive though.  I already have a Vortex Venom to put on one.  Regardless what gun most folks get they try different chokes to see how they work.  I don't like rail mounts so whatever gun I purchase that has one I'm gonna switch it out for a Sumtoy solid base.  I just don't think I want another semi-auto or pump for turkeys.  These 2 single shots fit the bill right now so far as what I'm looking for.  So the 301 isn't tapped?

Hook hanger

Had 8 gobblers die with a 301 this spring no complaints with the 410 last 5yrs  :D

Kygobblergetter

I have the Rossi and really like it. The factory choke with apex 9s is capable to 40+ easily in mine. I don't like the rail but if planning to add a sumtoy mount that isn't an issue. Love the stock and I'm not sure of the weight but the Rossi is noticeably lighter than the 301. I had both and sold the 301 to a buddy. Those are the only 2 I have experience with but I'm a big fan of the rossi

joey46

Also have the 301.  Four shots four birds over the last two seasons.  Installed a Sig Sauer red dot that wasn't expensive and works fine.  Also added a Jebs choke. Use a on stock sleeve and carry five shells total.  Sold on the Apex Ninja loads.  Pattern best for me.  Federal ok but leave too many shot pellets in the wad.  Good luck.
Add - as has been mentioned the rail attachment on the 301 is a weak point.  I took mine off and reset with blue Loc-Tight.  Seems ok now.  I watch it.

Meleagris gallopavo

So are these guns drilled and tapped or does the 301 have another system for attaching the rail?  Not being drilled and tapped may be a deal breaker for me.

guesswho

It has a hump, Almost like a piece of keystock underneath that rail that is part of the barrel that sticks up above the barrel slightly.  It had two holes that are tapped.   Sumtoy makes a mount and I thin EGW makes one that is counter sunk on the back side that fits right over it.  Then the two screws and your set. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff