OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

13 year cicada

Started by spurman, May 31, 2011, 01:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spurman

Do you have any? There are millions here, the sound of their calling is unbelievable. Up side is turkeys, fish and other wildlife love them.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Jay

They are defintely in Kansas. I couldn't figure out why I kept seeing Toms around this Wheat field, and after busting a big Tom coming out of that field, I ended up shooting my last Tom by that field. In the process of cleaning him I cut into his craw, and it was jam full of those nasty insects. The Turkeys love them.

chcltlabz

They hit Maryland about 3 years ago.  Unbelieveable to see that many huge bugs, but from what I've heard, they're harmless and the turkeys sure gobbled them up.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

deerhunt1988

I was e-mailed a picture of the crawl of a gobbler someone harvested late in the season around here...The crawl had 13 cicadas in it....

shad309

We have got them in a few places but not all.... I did figure out that if you can find a tree with them that overhangs some water put a hook in one and hold on! The catfish sit under those trees and suck up every one of them that hits the surface  :you_rock:

woodchip

My house and buildings are covered with them!!

LX_Trkyhntr

Quote from: shad309 on May 31, 2011, 02:12:57 PM
We have got them in a few places but not all.... I did figure out that if you can find a tree with them that overhangs some water put a hook in one and hold on! The catfish sit under those trees and suck up every one of them that hits the surface  :you_rock:

That's exactly what I was about to say!!  Good fishing if you can find them near the water!!
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

barry

Much rather have them than Gypsy Moth or those danged stinkbugs!

Sherrell

So bad in some places with the noise,the Georgia boys were claiming is was covering up the afternoon gobbling if there was any.

turkeybow

I have yet to see or hear one in East TN.  I hear West TN is covered up!
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

Ol'Mossy

Get the fly rod out  :whip2:

flydowntn

Havent seen any in this part of west tn yet.

Shane
S. P. Game Calls

rtsj

Scout24

Folks up here tell me they hear them from time to time over the summer, never seen anything like that however. Unfortunately, I haven't heard one for 20-25 years as I shot my hearing out for that frequency  as a kid many years ago, but can still remember how loud they were. Luckily, can still hear distant gobbles pretty well, one was gobbling like crazy across the street this morning as I walked down to get the newspaper at daylight.

chcltlabz

The carp love them too.  Not much for table fare (I'd rather eat the cicada) but you can have a ball hooking into a few, especially for the kids.  My daughter can sit and catch sunfish all day, but hook her into two big ol carp and she's ready to head for home!
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.