OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Drones for scouting?

Started by lowoctane, June 09, 2021, 10:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowoctane

:morning:
No sir, he's on vacation til next week.   :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Cowboy

Quote from: guesswho on June 09, 2021, 07:07:14 PM
Quote from: aclawrence on June 09, 2021, 07:00:49 PM
Another advantage of TSS could be the extended range you could shoot illegal drones out of the air. Man I've thought about the drone thing before and I'm not a fan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You need a drone capable of firing TSS!
You beat me to it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

hotspur

Yes I have seen a drone while  scouting

Hook hanger

Have seen a couple guys in Alabama using a drone scouting this past spring.

guesswho

Aren't most drones limited to about 15 minutes flight time?   I really don't see any advantage to using one  .  I think most of what your going to see are field birds, and they're pretty easy to scout traditionally. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Turkeyman

A farmer friend of mine, whom I hunt on, has a good drone which he uses for entertainment...not hunting purposes. It's not a cheapie and has good range. He sees the video it transmits and, when it gets out a bit too far, it knows when to come back home for a recharge and does so.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: guesswho on June 10, 2021, 03:12:38 PM
Aren't most drones limited to about 5 minutes flight time?   I really don't see any advantage to using one  .  I think most of what your going to see are field birds, and they're pretty easy to scout traditionally.
My thoughts exactly.  A good pair of binoculars would suffice.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

lowoctane

Toys boys! He who has the most still dies tho!  :funnyturkey:
Mine isn't especially low dollar so 25-30 minutes is fairly common if the wind isn't a factor. Plus it has more range than I need so have to watch how far I fly it. The camera is it's weakest link as most drones are. I don't want or need an expensive camera as they can get well over $4-5,000.00.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Crghss

Guess it depends on when you plan on scouting....

Drones are illegal in Florida, if you use them in season. Out of season no one can stop you from flying drones on public lands as long as you follow FAA guidelines.

The batteries on drones, like everything else, have vastly improved. You can go for half an hour and then swap out batteries. Depending on how much money you got.

So 2x batteries = 60 minutes, traveling at 30 mph(for good video). That's covering a lot of terrain.

If scouting a month before season opens I don't see a difference between trail cam or drone.

In Florida with the vegetation I wouldn't see much use, trail cam probably work better. In PA, with no leaves on the trees could see an advantage.

I use neither, scouting is part of the fun for me. The exercise is a bonus.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

crow

Another advantage of TSS could be the extended range you could shoot illegal drones out of the air. Man I've thought about the drone thing before and I'm not a fan!

Just wait till drone scouting catches on and WMU parking lots get crowded.
The usual "I was here first" arguments now has the potential to turn into aerial drone dogfights.

This could be the start of a new turkey hunting sub sport,  lead #4's vs TSS drone dogfights,
the winner gets first pick to film the best chuffa patch

turkey_picker

lowoctane

Quote from: crow on June 10, 2021, 10:37:03 PM

Most are not good enough to pilot there drones over unchartered territory so the fear of losing the toy will discourage many, imho.    :z-twocents:

Just wait till drone scouting catches on and WMU parking lots get crowded.
The usual "I was here first" arguments now has the potential to turn into aerial drone dogfights.

This could be the start of a new turkey hunting sub sport,  lead #4's vs TSS drone dogfights,
the winner gets first pick to film the best chuffa patch
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

lowoctane

It's very obvious that the majority of respondents aren't in favor of drones and their usage, practical or not, so rather than add to the dissension I will pull this post. It is also obvious to me how the temperature of this awesome forum has changed and I hope and pray for more moderate tones.  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: lowoctane on June 11, 2021, 07:07:40 AM
It's very obvious that the majority of respondents aren't in favor of drones and their usage, practical or not, so rather than add to the dissension I will pull this post. It is also obvious to me how the temperature of this awesome forum has changed and I hope and pray for more moderate tones.  :camohat:
To be clear I wasn't trying to be rude or insensitive when I asked how you'd get into the areas if you confirmed there are birds; I meant the question quite literally. If you can't walk or ride in there to visually scout it I don't know how you'll be able to walk or ride in there if the the footage shows you there are birds. I understand the mobility/health issues and I think the better bet would be trying to obtain permissions or hunt setups that you CAN drive into. I mean I was involved on a hunt where we took a quadriplegic into a field and got him set up in a blind where he killed a bird. Had to get in crazy early and do things very differently but got it done. I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't understand how using a drone to scout areas you can't physically get into is going to help you. But there are other ways to skin that cat and keep you in the field. I'd be seeking out those type setups.

lowoctane

Thank you sir! I was actually looking for this type of dialogue. The reality of using a drone was just one thought of the feasibility of using it and if anyone had any success or tricks of the trade, so to speak.
My health has diminished greatly over the last 10 years so this query was merely looking to expand my possibilities. I never wanted to incite any uproar and am sorry if I've offended anyone. Thanks again for your kind words!  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life