OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Drones for scouting?

Started by lowoctane, June 09, 2021, 10:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on June 09, 2021, 06:15:42 PM
Quote from: warrent423 on June 09, 2021, 04:42:11 PM
Quote from: lowoctane on June 09, 2021, 10:00:21 AM
Curious about this for turkeys. Have used mine for deer and after they get familiar with the noise and visual, they settle down. Usually takes a few days. Turkeys tho?
                                               :funnyturkey:
That's all I need to know about you as a "hunter"
So, it's okay to hide a camera in the woods that can take pictures of a deer in a given location that also records the time and "may" give you a live feed over the phone if you shell out the $$$.  But fly over and see them with a drone is terrible?  I don't see people bashing trail cams, but maybe I'm on the wrong forum for that.  I'll find out in a few minutes I'm sure.  I'm sure there are problems with using drones around game and all that, but using remote cameras to watch game movements isn't a major difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is one SUBSTANTIAL difference.

Deer can move at night. AND WILL after they know they are being pressured.

ChesterCopperpot

Curious about this for turkeys. Have used mine for deer and after they get familiar with the noise and visual, they settle down. Usually takes a few days. Turkeys tho?
So, it's okay to hide a camera in the woods that can take pictures of a deer in a given location that also records the time and "may" give you a live feed over the phone if you shell out the $$$.  But fly over and see them with a drone is terrible?  I don't see people bashing trail cams, but maybe I'm on the wrong forum for that.  I'll find out in a few minutes I'm sure.  I'm sure there are problems with using drones around game and all that, but using remote cameras to watch game movements isn't a major difference.

I don't utilize game cameras deer hunting, but my personal issue with droning fields for deer would be locating bedded animals. I think that's a chicken sh*t way to "hunt." With regard to how I personally view things like cell cameras, though, there was a MONSTER buck killed in my county two years ago. It later comes out the boy got a cell phone picture sent to him at work, he took off, got there, anticipated the line of travel, and killed the buck. My thoughts after hearing that, yeah, that old boy is a hell of a "woodsman," hell of a "hunter."

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

aclawrence

Another advantage of TSS could be the extended range you could shoot illegal drones out of the air. Man I've thought about the drone thing before and I'm not a fan!

guesswho

Quote from: aclawrence on June 09, 2021, 07:00:49 PM
Another advantage of TSS could be the extended range you could shoot illegal drones out of the air. Man I've thought about the drone thing before and I'm not a fan!

You need a drone capable of firing TSS!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

lowoctane

For the sake of sane conversation, I refuse to go down the road(s) that some have taken. Please let me bore y'all with some of my issues: I have 9 stents and have to take 10 meds daily and have been struggling with high blood pressure lately. I also have two artificial knees and the one on my right leg has had 3 revisions and might be headed for the fourth. And some other ailments that limit my mobility, but not to worry. Years ago when I was spry and froggy I thought nothing of miles and miles of shoe leather tracking and setting up natural blinds all over the woods that I decided to hunt. It helped me to stay in shape, or so I reasoned. Now if I want to have a quality hunt where the game happens to be way prior to the season opening, and if I can't manipulate my Honda Foreman into a certain area prior to the season opening, I was looking into the possibility of using my FAA registered recreational drone as I have that hobby as well. Just looking into it, which is why I asked this wonderful forum my question(s). I have only seen youtubes on drone activities on deer which is why I stated with certainty on their behavior.
I'm of the opinion that I hunt safely and with fierce dedication to my quarry of choice and intend to continue to hunt as long as I can with these facts in mind. I don't poach or involve myself in anything illegal while spending my time in the woods.
It's my hope that this settles my position on what I asked as I was hoping for dialogue that would be beneficial to me and possibly other.  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

GobbleNut

As many others have stated, using drones for direct scouting/locating/hunting purposes is illegal in many states.  I am not sure there are exceptions to that based on health issues or not. 

Having said that, there are many people who use drones for recreational purposes and unless there is direct evidence to correlate your use of a drone as a hunting aid during a hunting season for which you were licensed, I suspect it would be unlikely that you would be cited for using one. 

Finally, I have a small drone (DJI Spark) that I occasionally use to take video (outside of those illegal time periods), mostly just for kicks.  First observation I made was that it is harder than heck to get close enough to any sort of game animal to observe them or get good video.  The darn thing is just too noisy.  For use as an aid in scouting, and most definitely hunting, it would probably be more of a hindrance than it would be an aid, regardless of whether it is legal where you are or not.  Then again, perhaps you have a better drone that overcomes those obvious "deficiencies" I have found in the use of the one I have :icon_thumright:.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on June 09, 2021, 06:34:15 PM

There is one SUBSTANTIAL difference.

Deer can move at night. AND WILL after they know they are being pressured.
So it looks like the unfair advantage goes to the trail cam vs the drone.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 09, 2021, 08:05:35 PM
As many others have stated, using drones for direct scouting/locating/hunting purposes is illegal in many states.  I am not sure there are exceptions to that based on health issues or not. 

Having said that, there are many people who use drones for recreational purposes and unless there is direct evidence to correlate your use of a drone as a hunting aid during a hunting season for which you were licensed, I suspect it would be unlikely that you would be cited for using one. 

Finally, I have a small drone (DJI Spark) that I occasionally use to take video (outside of those illegal time periods), mostly just for kicks.  First observation I made was that it is harder than heck to get close enough to any sort of game animal to observe them or get good video.  The darn thing is just too noisy.  For use as an aid in scouting, and most definitely hunting, it would probably more of a hindrance than it would be an aid, regardless of whether it is legal where you are or not.  Then again, perhaps you have a better drone that overcomes those obvious "deficiencies" I have found in the use of the one I have :icon_thumright:.
Yep.  I can hear them long before I can find it in the air.  Though I don't have a drone nor do I fly one, it seems to be a good bit of trouble to go through for spotting game.  To me a trail cam is too much trouble.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Ihuntoldschool

Not only illegal but totally unethical for those who still care about such things.  I realize many will do anything just to get that kill and this is just another idea that dumbs down the sport so that the masses have a chance for success, kind of like a participation trophy. We know a lot of you would be totally lost without all the crutches some choose to use to cheapen the experience and take the sport and fair chase out of the hunt. 

Sir-diealot

I read something last year on this as a matter of fact and it stated when it was tried regardless of how high they drone was the turkey did not tolerate it nearly as well as deer herds that the same was done with.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: lowoctane on June 09, 2021, 07:39:18 PM
For the sake of sane conversation, I refuse to go down the road(s) that some have taken. Please let me bore y'all with some of my issues: I have 9 stents and have to take 10 meds daily and have been struggling with high blood pressure lately. I also have two artificial knees and the one on my right leg has had 3 revisions and might be headed for the fourth. And some other ailments that limit my mobility, but not to worry. Years ago when I was spry and froggy I thought nothing of miles and miles of shoe leather tracking and setting up natural blinds all over the woods that I decided to hunt. It helped me to stay in shape, or so I reasoned. Now if I want to have a quality hunt where the game happens to be way prior to the season opening, and if I can't manipulate my Honda Foreman into a certain area prior to the season opening, I was looking into the possibility of using my FAA registered recreational drone as I have that hobby as well. Just looking into it, which is why I asked this wonderful forum my question(s). I have only seen youtubes on drone activities on deer which is why I stated with certainty on their behavior.
I'm of the opinion that I hunt safely and with fierce dedication to my quarry of choice and intend to continue to hunt as long as I can with these facts in mind. I don't poach or involve myself in anything illegal while spending my time in the woods.
It's my hope that this settles my position on what I asked as I was hoping for dialogue that would be beneficial to me and possibly other.  :camohat:
If you can't physically walk and/or ride your Honda into the field to scout it how do you plan to walk and/or ride your Honda into the field to hunt it once you confirm patterns from drone footage?

lowoctane

Very carefully...not into pain anymore. Fortunately my brother will help when he can. I've no desire to give up hunting which is what this post is all about. Thanks for the positive remarks.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

aclawrence

Sorry to hear about your health problems. That's a bummer. I hope you find a way stay after them as long as you can. 

owlhoot

Hear anything from your guy?